What's new

Regular soap for shaving?

So I recently stumbled across something interesting while shaving. I was all finished and cleaning up when I noticed a missed a spot. I didn't want to whip up more cream so I thought I would cheat and rub my hand on a bar soap I had and hit the spot. It was incredibly slick!

I thought maybe I just hadn't used enough soaps yet so tonight I tried Arko (it seems pretty good). Then I took my Dial basic, grabbed by brush and loaded it up. Same result, very, very slick. Slicker than any cream or soap I have tried yet. Now it didn't seem to have the same "cushioning" effect as some of the creams, but the "slickness" was great. I've heard of others using soap/cream combo for a super lather.

I also recommend this Dial Basic soap for a great, clean face soap. See below.
$DzeTUBu.jpg

Maybe I'm on to something? :blink:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Interesting. I guess if the scent is appealing and it does the job for you then why not?

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Back when I shaved with a Schick Quatro in the shower I used regular soap. It doesn't have any cushion or protection, though, just slickness.

I used to shave using facial soap back when I used cartridges, and have fallen back on it once or twice in an emergency. You just don't have all of the components--I would argue that you don't have all the components with some 'shave soaps' either, but hey.

I agree. I wouldn't use it by itself but what intrigued me was how SLICK it was. Maybe I'll play around with some odd mixtures when I get bored.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
What is your choice?

I use both a DE and a Straight depending on how I feel and how much time I have, and I use one of my many different shaving soaps with a brush. I always shave after a shower and wash my face with glycerin soap while I'm in there as a part of my face prep. I also apply aftershave balms.

^ Or how about Lava hand soap.
I cracked up my barber when I told her I started using a bar soap on my hair (D.R. Harris). She asked what it was. I told her Lava! She laughed her a** off! She asked how that pumice was working for me! I told her bloody raw.

So I recently stumbled across something interesting while shaving. I was all finished and cleaning up when I noticed a missed a spot. I didn't want to whip up more cream so I thought I would cheat and rub my hand on a bar soap I had and hit the spot. It was incredibly slick!

I thought maybe I just hadn't used enough soaps yet so tonight I tried Arko (it seems pretty good). Then I took my Dial basic, grabbed by brush and loaded it up. Same result, very, very slick. Slicker than any cream or soap I have tried yet. Now it didn't seem to have the same "cushioning" effect as some of the creams, but the "slickness" was great. I've heard of others using soap/cream combo for a super lather.

I also recommend this Dial Basic soap for a great, clean face soap. See below.
View attachment 390125

Maybe I'm on to something? :blink:

That Dial Basic is great stuff for the shower. It's just so damn hard to find anywhere. Only place I've been able to buy it is at the Alberstons in Central Point, Oregon while visiting the in-laws.

^ Or how about Lava hand soap.

I cracked up my barber when I told her I started using a bar soap on my hair (D.R. Harris). She asked what it was. I told her Lava! She laughed her a** off! She asked how that pumice was working for me! I told her bloody raw.

R O F L :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: cracking my a** off, too !

That stuff is absolutely great to get all kinds of grime off your hands, from artist oil paint to brake pad dust but I would never use it on anything but my hands.

Oh c'mon now guys. I don't shave with lava. Thats my Pre-shave scrub. Cleans the pores out real nice. :001_tt2:

Top Bottom