What's new

Regular soap for shaving?

If I shower shave I use a dove moisturizing bar. Does a pretty good job but it's more fun to use shaving soaps and a brush. I get a closer shave too.

So, interestingly enough, my grandfather only used basic Ivory bar soap to shave with for something in the range of like 70 years. He used a Gillette Super Speed from the late 40's till the mid 60's, then swapped to a Slim Adjust and used that till he passed on (I know this only because I have his 40's SS and his Slim Adjustable). He also shaved just about daily, since I can't ever recall seeing him with any level of stubble on his face, ever. So, it can be done long term on a consistent basis, if you have the skin type to agree with it.

So, interestingly enough, my grandfather only used basic Ivory bar soap to shave with for something in the range of like 70 years. He used a Gillette Super Speed from the late 40's till the mid 60's, then swapped to a Slim Adjust and used that till he passed on (I know this only because I have his 40's SS and his Slim Adjustable). He also shaved just about daily, since I can't ever recall seeing him with any level of stubble on his face, ever. So, it can be done long term on a consistent basis, if you have the skin type to agree with it.

I shaved with regular handsoap without even a brush for years...Just lathered up my face and shaved with no problems what so ever. Then splashed on some plain rubbing alcohol and a spritz of cologne and I was good to go. So yeah, I'd say it can be done, and done well for about 20 or 25 years....lol

Last edited:
I shaved with regular handsoap without even a brush for years...Just lathered up my face and shaved with no problems what so ever. Then splashed on some plain rubbing alcohol and a spritz of cologne and I was good to go. So yeah, I'd say it can be done, and done well for about 20 or 25 years....lol

Oh, yeah, my grandfather also didn't even use/have a brush. That was how I found out about the handsoap thing, when I was recovering the various heirloom razors, I asked my dad about possibly finding grandpa's shaving brush, and the answer was he didn't have/use one. Bar soap hand lathered only for as long as my father could recall.

So I guess I'm not entirely crazy. Again, by itself, it was not optimal, yet it seemed way more slick than other creams I have tried. I know a friend of mine says he just shaves in the shower with soap and a regular disposable razor. He never has any irritation or cuts so I guess that works for him.

So I guess I'm not entirely crazy. Again, by itself, it was not optimal, yet it seemed way more slick than other creams I have tried. I know a friend of mine says he just shaves in the shower with soap and a regular disposable razor. He never has any irritation or cuts so I guess that works for him.

YMMV, definitely.

Top Bottom