What's new

Regular Razorock Mamba VS Mamba 70

I started with Mamba 70, got really comfortable with it. Lately I've been trying other razors, including the Mamba 53 for 5 days straight. I just shaved with the Mamba 70 again, so comparing Mamba and Mamba 70, it's night and day. The Mamba 53 seems better at removing skin than whiskers, and I just couldn't get in the groove with it. The Mamba 70 is smooth and efficient, and I don't get the burn of the 53. Mamba 70 is even better for me right now than the GC 68, although I'm willing to give that more time.
If you decide the GC isn’t for you , do let me know. I’ve been trying to get my hands on one for months now.

I own the OG Mamba .53 and found it to be a real nice and smooth shaver. A 3 pass razor that gave solid results day in and day out. Now, this coming from someone that thinks a 9/8ths wedge is a smooth operator. Nonetheless, I saw a Mamba .70 on the B/S/T for sale at a fair price so, I took a chance. Two shaves in and it has been a remarkably smooth shaver that is equal to the .53 but, it exhibits better cutting prowess and better face feel that is subtle yet noticeable, to me at least. I think that the .70 is a fantastic upgrade from the .53 in all facets. Truly a wonderful razor that delivers....

F80BE53A-7E46-45B0-AFA5-956DC4974E63.jpeg

I have now shaved dozens of times with both razors and there is no doubt in my mind that I prefer the .53 gap over the .70. I like that the 70 is a bit more efficient, but it comes at the cost of smoothness. The 70 just doesn't run as effortlessly over my face as the 53 and it has a tendency to feel slightly more tuggy.

Interestingly, I see the same phenomenon on the GC68 v GC 84 (84 being more efficient, but 68 being more of a glide) and the Fatip Gentile vs OC (Gentile gliding smoothly vs OC not).

What is all comes down to is how you like to shave. If you need a 2-pass shave, the Mamba53 or GC68 are probably not your best bet. If you can live with a 3-pass shave, then the Mamba53 and GC68 can be excellent choices.

I should make a correction on my previous post. For those that were/are looking for just a bit more of an efficient feeling razor while still maintaining relative smoothness to the original without sacrificing comfort, the .70 is an option worth looking into. The .53 does have its merits and I do still consider it to be a great razor as well as many here.

Mamba 70 my very first razorock. It blew my mind how nice and smooth. I have all the game changers and mambas. My favourites remain gc 68 and mamba 70. Mamba 53 i cant get and the gc 84 is very good but 68 is my chubby face match

I have all the GCs and Mambas. I assume you had the GC.84? That one is very efficient, but it can bite. The Mamba you have is indeed not super efficient, but I shaved with it this am and I have a solid BBS. Before you give up, I would recommend you try to dial in on the shaving angle for the Mamba because once you get it right, it is a very nice shaver. For that purpose, make sure you have no background noise or music on when you use the Mamba. Let the sound of your whiskers and blade feel direct you to the right shaving angle.

That said, even I will concede that for everyday shaving, both the GC68 and Mamba70 are the easiest tools to use. Both are smooth (with the GC68 the smoothest) and both are efficient enough. Notice how I say "enough". Because neither is in the same efficiency ballpark as the GC84. Both both do what they were designed to do incredibly well. The big difference is the head geometry and the resulting shave angle.

Another razor that is in my rotation is the Fatip Gentile. It has almost zero blade gap BUT it is plenty efficient even as a closed comb. And it WILL bite if your technique is not good. In part because it is the smoothest of all the razors we have discussed so far, which means you'll be cruising over your face with zero effort only to find out later that you paned a few spots right off your face. This razor is fantastic, but requires some patience...both in loading the bade straight and learning the technique. Incidentally, it is the razor that really TAUGHT me good technique. Unlike the GC and Mamba, the Gentile also is more fickle about which blades work well in it where as both the GC and Mamba seem to work with almost any blade for me.

My current weekly rotation is as follows:

2 Days Mamba 70
2 Days GC68
1 Day GC84
1 Day Mamba
1 Day Fatip Gentile

Either way, let me know if you have any questions.
I’ve learned a lot
Thanks

I started with the Merkur 34C several years ago but found I was consistently getting neck irritation. I have the Mamba .70 and the GC .68. I've had the Mamba longer and have my technique dialed in. It gives me great, irritation-free shaves. The GC .68 is nice but different and I've not spent enough time with it yet. The shave angle is steeper than the Mamba which gives it a slight edge in maneuverability, particularly under the nose. Time will tell if it will be an overall fit for me. I'm not as good as some at switching from razor to razor and having my technique automatically adjust.

Top Bottom