What's new

Regular Razorock Mamba VS Mamba 70

Now that I have a few shaves under my belt, this razor has REALLY grown on me. A damn good razor at an amazing value. I’m glad I picked one up and I suggest others do the same. The titanium handle has grown on me as well.
I'm with you right now. I don't know if my face prefers milder razors when the weather warms up, but I like the M70 more every time I use it. Truly effortless. Shaves close enough. Not finicky about blades.

I'm with you right now. I don't know if my face prefers milder razors when the weather warms up, but I like the M70 more every time I use it. Truly effortless. Shaves close enough. Not finicky about blades.
I’ve always liked smooth razors. I think at the end of the day when I look for my ultimate razor, it’s closeness without blade feel and irritation. Rough razors tear me up.

I’ve always liked smooth razors. I think at the end of the day when I look for my ultimate razor, it’s closeness without blade feel.
On the money. I think the whole aggressive vs. mild, one or the other, isn't really an accurate way to characterize razors. Like you, what I'm looking for is comfort (i.e. smooth, with little blade feel) and efficiency (i.e. closeness), and that is achievable with good design. It's not really true that closeness (or efficiency) must come at the expense of comfort. I have used razors that were very harsh and still not that efficient. And it is possible for a razor to be smooth and comfortable (and therefore "feel" very mild) and still shave close. For me, the Mamba 70 is definitely in the latter category.

I have the first Mamba and use a shim sometimes and it made it more efficient while still being smooth.

I also have the GC .84 which is a little aggressive for me but it’s perfect when I have several days of growth and match it with Rapira Swedish Super steel which is a mild blade but gives me a smooth burn free shave.

I was thinking the Mamba 70 would be just right but I found the Karve with C plate may be doing that job right now although I prefer it to be polished but don’t want having to keep polishing it to prevent the Patina and was thinking of getting it plated.

The GC head is somewhat similar to the Wolfman WR1, the GC .84 is more aggresive and efficient so the WR1 works perfect as a milder GC .84 although the handle of the Wr1 is a little too heavy.

These are great prices for what you get with the Razorock Mamba and GC .

I love the mamba 70 and originally bought it because it was in stock and machined in north america. Now using it I love it! I want to try gc 84 but till then its karve oc and mamba 70 for this guy. Awesome value and smmmmmooooooottttttthhhhhhh

I love my Mamba 53. First handful of shaves can be a highly frustrating experience but once you find that sweet spot and are able to maintain it.......wow. Obviously the build quality for price is amazing. Thought about upgrading to the Mamba 70 but I am satisfied for now.

On the money. I think the whole aggressive vs. mild, one or the other, isn't really an accurate way to characterize razors. Like you, what I'm looking for is comfort (i.e. smooth, with little blade feel) and efficiency (i.e. closeness), and that is achievable with good design. It's not really true that closeness (or efficiency) must come at the expense of comfort. I have used razors that were very harsh and still not that efficient. And it is possible for a razor to be smooth and comfortable (and therefore "feel" very mild) and still shave close. For me, the Mamba 70 is definitely in the latter category.

Are there other razors you'd recommend in this category? Your words perfectly capture how I feel about wet shaving - maximum comfort without compromising on efficiency. Sounds like the Mamba .70 is definitely worth a look.

Are there other razors you'd recommend in this category? Your words perfectly capture how I feel about wet shaving - maximum comfort without compromising on efficiency. Sounds like the Mamba .70 is definitely worth a look.
The English Pre war Tech is one of the only others I’ve found in that category for my super sensitive neck . I just got an OC Merkur 1906 , as I found the 34C to be just OK but I’ve yet to try it out.

I've been using the Rockwell 6S with the #3 plate for over a year now, and in a fit of RAD bought a Mamba 70, which I've been using the last few days. So far, what I'm noticing is that while the Mamba should be milder based on blade exposure and gap, the design of their respective safety bars means that the Mamba has much more blade feel and requires a much more careful touch around the jawline and chin to keep from drawing blood than the Rocky. And I've come to appreciate how the textured finish on the Rocky works as a design feature; my skin doesn't stick to it, as it does to the polished finish on the Mamba, so that further reduces the risk of bloodshed.

I'll keep using the Mamba to see if I can get it dialed in, but based on what I've seen so far the Rocky is the winner on comfort. The Mamba is more efficient on one pass than the Rocky, but both razors require 3 passes to get BBS, so that's a wash. I can shave faster with the Rocky. The Mamba is much prettier, though, FWIW.

(I'm piloting the Mamba with a Polsilver blade, for the curious. Using Tabac and MWF in rotation for soaps.)

I concur with @cgr86; I'd put the pre-war Tech in the comfortable and efficient category. For that matter, the later (like 1950s) all-brass ball end Techs are also very nice. I'm also in with @Trent in WA on the Rockwell 6S (or the 6C); plate 3 seems to be the sweet spot for me. The Fatip Testina Gentile is a favorite of mine: super smooth and efficient, all brass and very reasonably priced. Finally, I'm a fan of the humble Gillette Super Speed. My favorites are the early flare tips (mid to late 1950s) as they seem to me to be a bit better built than the later flare tips or black handles. But really, all of them (including the 1940s style) shave really well for me. American classics.

I ordered a 70 but don’t have high hopes since I don’t shave daily and tend to favor more mid-aggressive razors. Only one way to know I suppose and there’s always the BST.

I ordered a 70 but don’t have high hopes since I don’t shave daily and tend to favor more mid-aggressive razors. Only one way to know I suppose and there’s always the BST.
Don’t be a Debbie Downer. You’ll be impressed. Just give it a few shaves as your only razor for a bit and you’ll like it.

I’m an undying realist that favors the pessimistic end of the spectrum. I’ll definitely give it a fair go though :001_cool:

I'm going to write up an extended comparison of the Mamba 70 and the Rockwell 6S over the next couple of weeks, but having used the Mamba now for a week and gotten used to it, I think you might be pleasantly surprised. As someone who prefers mild razors, the Mamba is a little more aggressive than I like, but all in all it works fine and is more efficient than you might think.

I'm going to write up an extended comparison of the Mamba 70 and the Rockwell 6S over the next couple of weeks, but having used the Mamba now for a week and gotten used to it, I think you might be pleasantly surprised. As someone who prefers mild razors, the Mamba is a little more aggressive than I like, but all in all it works fine and is more efficient than you might think.
I would agree that the 70 is more in the mid aggressive category than in the mild category. I personally have now definitely developed a preference for the 53mm gap, but we are talking about small differences....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Don’t be a Debbie Downer. You’ll be impressed. Just give it a few shaves as your only razor for a bit and you’ll like it.
I agree. At first I was getting frustrated with my Mamba 70 and would finish the shave with another razor. I stopped doing that and got the angle right and bingo. Try it with a Gillette Nacet, amazing combo; one of my best shaves.

Last edited:
I agree. At first I was getting frustrated with my Mamba 70 and would finish the shave with another razor. I stopped doing that and got the angle right and bingo. Try it with a Gillette Nacet, amazing combo; one of my best shaves.
I have yet to try a Nacet in any razor. I should get some.

I started with Mamba 70, got really comfortable with it. Lately I've been trying other razors, including the Mamba 53 for 5 days straight. I just shaved with the Mamba 70 again, so comparing Mamba and Mamba 70, it's night and day. The Mamba 53 seems better at removing skin than whiskers, and I just couldn't get in the groove with it. The Mamba 70 is smooth and efficient, and I don't get the burn of the 53. Mamba 70 is even better for me right now than the GC 68, although I'm willing to give that more time.

Top Bottom