What's new

Regular neck or V-neck?

B

bluefoxicy

For outer t-shirts, and for undershirts?

I tend to go for the V-neck undershirts, I'm thinking crew neck for regular t-shirts is more my style... are there any particular style guides for this?:001_huh:

I have always gone after crew neck undershirts. I think it is classier. I have thick chest hair and always considered it to be unfashionable to display it.

Generally I had worn them year round, but only in the last two years have I begun to cut my chest hair back (not shave it off) and not wear a crew neck undershirts in the summertime due to the heat.

Don't know where I got this as a 'fashion tip.' Perhaps it is because I grew up around a lot of military.

If you're wearing a tie, go with the crew neck. If you're not, go with the V.

It's not at all complicated. You just don't want to show or print.

If you're talking for more than very casual occasions then an undershirt shouldn't show above your shirt opening. Obviously with a tie it doesn't matter. As far as wearing a t-shirt, it only matters if you have chest hair that sprouts like the back 40 acres. In which case a crew neck or very shallow v-neck would be more appropriate. T-shirts are considered very casual. A polo shirt is dressier.

- Peter

Last edited:
Crew neck undershirt year round. Never seen a v-neck outer t-shirt. I personally think an undershirt showing is classier than my manly chest hairs, but I'll leave that for the fashion sensitive.

I usually wear a crew neck t-shirt with sweaters and a high v-neck with dress shirts or jeans. There are two kinds of v-neck shirts, the low v-neck and the high v-neck. The low v-neck, which you guys are talking about has the large neck opening that dips to the middle of the chest. The high v-neck (picture below) has small v-neck that does not drop below the breast bone.

proxy.php

Crew neck undershirt if I'm wearing a tie (not cool to see the V-line beneath your dress shirt).

V-neck for all collared shirts that have the top button unbuttoned. Sometimes I think I have more hair on my chest than on my head, but I've never had a problem unless I go more than one or two buttons unbuttoned. Then you're getting into swashbuckler / latin lover territory.

B

bluefoxicy

If you're talking for more than very casual occasions then an undershirt shouldn't show above your shirt opening. Obviously with a tie it doesn't matter. As far as wearing a t-shirt, it only matters if you have chest hair that sprouts like the back 40 acres. In which case a crew neck or very shallow v-neck would be more appropriate. T-shirts are considered very casual. A polo shirt is dressier.

Nods, I'm talking about very, very casual environments and outerwear. I always wear a low V-neck undershirt, I have no chest hair; my business casual is a button polo neck with a V-neck undershirt beneath, which just tracks with the lowest button fastened.

I didn't know about the high v-necks! That looks nice. That man needs to shave more than once a month though! (Also if I looked like that I'd have no trouble getting chicks hangin' off each arm, damn)

If you're wearing a tie, go with the crew neck. If you're not, go with the V.

It's not at all complicated. You just don't want to show or print.

+2

If your concerned about hair, I hear waxing works...... :lol::lol::lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist. But seriously, just show it. Or wear a different shirt that doesn't expose the undershirt/chest/whatever it is you want to hide.

I didn't know about the high v-necks!

Tons of manufacturers make the high v-neck now, I'm partial to the Calvin Klein because their shirts have micro-fiber in them that allows them to keep their shape better. I stock up whenever they go on sale.

And no, you cannot see the v section of the undershirt through your dress shirt, even white dress shirts.

Top Bottom