What's new

Regretting a shavette thrown away

I bought my first shavette a bit over seven years ago. It was a then widely available basic model without any holding mechanism with moving parts. The seller adviced me to snap a regular DE blade to half by my fingers and stuck the half to the shavette. I found the snapping of DE blades neat enough practically impossible so I had to use precut Derby Saloon blades I didn’t especially like or vintage blades made before the emergence of stainless steel blades in the 60’s. Finally, a few months ago I decided to do some Kon Mari and throw that shavette away and use only my other shavette with a separable holder mechanism. I was also a bit concerned about a hygienic aspect how to clean the holder in the shavette I discarded.

Soon after that I pretty accidentally made my first try with real straight razor. This project is sill ”as a project” like a russian would maybe say, but so far the main effect of the purchasing a straight has been a revitalisation of my interest in shaving. I found out that carbon steel blades are still made and ordered a 100 pack of Treet Carbon Steel from Razor Blades Club. These were pretty easy to snap half well enough and so I started to miss my thrown away shavette. To my surprise I didn’t found any exactly similar model any more while going through the biggest internet marketplaces. I bought anyway a shavette with a (”a new type?”) holding mechanism integrated in the spine. I made a conclusion that the innovative industry had in a few short years adapted to the changes in blade propensities made sixty years earlier. :) My newest has worked well but I still miss what I have lost. I didn’t esteem the thrown away one much and It was cheap but now with my limited internet capabilities I didn’t manage to get a new one like that.

Lesson learned: be careful what you throw away. Anywhere an internet flee market for cheap stuff?

Yes, it’s called eBay, lol.

I found something better: AliExpress. :)

Has anyone experience of trying to use hairdresser ”shavettes” with comb edge they are selling there for cutting his/her own or someone else’s hair?

Top Bottom