What's new

Regional differences

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I saw this movie...again... tonight when it was about all that was on. Got me to thunkin' about regional opinions and attitudes whether it be different countries, states, or even in the same town.

I have been meaning to get a digital picture of John Chisum's gravesite again as all I have is film pictures, but it's just across the street from one of the projects in town. I think I'll do that in a few days.

Been to those projects many times on calls ranging from burglaries, to assaults, to shootings, to murders. I know the timing of the area so I'll pick my time of day to go. The most calls in another part of town were when kids put firecrackers in someone's mail box and blew it up.

I was wondering if anyone else had experience in seeing the differences in attitudes and opinions from different areas.

And try to be nice on your replies.

I think there are less regional differences today than when I was younger. However, there are still differences in attitudes, food, and styles from one region of the country to another. There are de differences between the cities and the suburbs or the country areas. I read an article recently espousing the benefits of living in the city. You couldn't pay me enough to do so, but it works for some.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I've seen difference both through location and through time. Some very local (in Baltimore you were a Stieff family or a Kirk family. Some were national (you were a Ford family or a Chevy family). In North Carolina it was Easter Carolina BBQ or Western? In the 1950s someone carrying a rifle, shotgun or handgun would not get a second glance even in Maryland. That was even true in California until Reagan and the Republican Legislature made it illegal in an attempt to stop the protests against police violence.

I think the USA's biggest difference in the people are between big city people an low population density people.

I live on a mega city, and I get the impression big city people do not understand this. Is this thread in the right forum category?

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I live on a mega city, and I get the impression big city people do not understand this. Is this thread in the right forum category?

Not the right forum. This is Shooting Sports and Firearms.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

Not the right forum. This is Shooting Sports and Firearms.

I dropped it here because the movie Big Jake is a western shoot-'em-up. Regional differences can also determine attitudes on firearm ownership and other things.

Got that right on the “Regional differences” part of it. Our area in SE Tennessee is very much different from most other places. First...our county is officially a “Gun Sanctuary”. Very strong 2nd Amendment philosophy.
It’s South-Central Appalachia here. Mountain folks still raise their children to use words like “Yes sir, yes ma’am, please, thank y’all” on a regular basis.
Town population is about 511. We have a NAPA store, IGA, Dollar General, two breweries, couple drug stores (including a real deal pharmacy/gun shop combination) 3 Mexican restaurants and more churches than you can count.
....yeah, we like it here.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Got that right on the “Regional differences” part of it. Our area in SE Tennessee is very much different from most other places. First...our county is officially a “Gun Sanctuary”. Very strong 2nd Amendment philosophy.
It’s South-Central Appalachia here. Mountain folks still raise their children to use words like “Yes sir, yes ma’am, please, thank y’all” on a regular basis.
Town population is about 511. We have a NAPA store, IGA, Dollar General, two breweries, couple drug stores (including a real deal pharmacy/gun shop combination) 3 Mexican restaurants and more churches than you can count.
Always knew I was in Appalachia once I came across the first New Reformed Progressive Primitive Baptist church.

Sounds awesome!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Cultural anthropologists espouse your knowing!

Within America: There’s always been a divide between city and country. Much of that divide is really based out of ignorance. As it stands, with the internet, I think country folks ignorance of city things has diminished somewhat, where the city persons ignorance of country has actually increased.

In gun terms, a city person can rant on and on about how people don’t need guns bla, bla, bla, never having faced a rabid coon or defended a chicken coop. That person can be so sure of themselves it’s astonishing.

But I think America has always been bolstered by its larger divides. If you’ve never heard or thought about what America would look like if Texas or California seceded, you’re just not an American. Of course both states are big enough economically to do so and boy, speak about two states that are geometrically different.

In gun terms... well let’s just say Texas has a “he done needed killing” defense. California, not so much lol!

But there are other divides that are even deeper that are seemingly ripping every region apart from the inside. The political divide. And in this case, people, fellow countryman are learning to loath each other. What’s remarkable about this divide is how everything becomes partisan. In gun terms, you can no longer be a left leaning American and believe in the second amendment. If you’re on the right, you can’t separate God and State. It’s a mess... and we all hate each other for it.

Nationally, I’d say Americans are way more scared than any other nation I know. Scared of foreigners, scared of Muslims, scared of their own government... scared of the people in the neighborhood next to ours. “Freedom to be afraid is all we want.” As Gill Scott Heron always said.

I hear that fear is a motivator though :)

I saw this movie...again... tonight when it was about all that was on. Got me to thunkin' about regional opinions and attitudes whether it be different countries, states, or even in the same town.

I have been meaning to get a digital picture of John Chisum's gravesite again as all I have is film pictures, but it's just across the street from one of the projects in town. I think I'll do that in a few days.

Been to those projects many times on calls ranging from burglaries, to assaults, to shootings, to murders. I know the timing of the area so I'll pick my time of day to go. The most calls in another part of town were when kids put firecrackers in someone's mail box and blew it up.

I was wondering if anyone else had experience in seeing the differences in attitudes and opinions from different areas.

And try to be nice on your replies.

Not related to your question. Big Jake is one of my all time favorites!

I am from Denver, so by big cities it is still small, but even within this city, there are cultural and attitude differences. The "down-towners" are so much different than those who live in the outskirts.

Last year when we were on vacation in Wyoming, on one of the lesser roads, we had a flat. While I was changing the tire, we noted that Every single car/truck that went by stopped and asked if we needed help. From teenagers to seniors... Every one.

We have decided that if we ever decide to leave Denver ( I will keep politics out of this), we will move to Wyoming.

I am from Denver, so by big cities it is still small, but even within this city, there are cultural and attitude differences. The "down-towners" are so much different than those who live in the outskirts.

Last year when we were on vacation in Wyoming, on one of the lesser roads, we had a flat. While I was changing the tire, we noted that Every single car/truck that went by stopped and asked if we needed help. From teenagers to seniors... Every one.

We have decided that if we ever decide to leave Denver ( I will keep politics out of this), we will move to Wyoming.
More people live in Denver than all of Wyoming. I’m going to assume that makes a big difference lol. I loved Wyoming.

Top Bottom