What's new

Regarding DSCosmetic CNC razors...

I just wanted to share my knowledge and experience regarding the DSCosmetic line of CNC razors.

I made an effort to stop buying Chinese goods for over a year but at this point, I don't think it really matters :/

Anyway, one of the first purchases I made were the DSCosmetic CNC razors. They offer stainless, brass and something called "COPPER" (which I will address shortly)

If any of you lurk Aliexpress, you're already familiar with the brand and its offerings. Looks like they are either the supplier for RR, buy from the same supplier as RR, or they are just a very good clone of the RR CNC line. They offer two gaps, which are close but not exactly the same as RR, which leads me to believe it's just a very well-reverse-engineered clone of the original(s).

So I took the chance and ordered the stainless in .68. Upon arrival, I was disappointed to have received a faulty (misaligned) top cap, but I've purchased from DSCosmetic before and they made another purchase right in the past so I inquired and was sent a free replacement which was flawless. This razor shaves identically to a GC .68 and I love that it is offered in DC (which RR is not so that makes it cool enough for me) and it's about $30 cheaper after shipping.

Impressed, I decided to order two other metals; I ordered a mild in brass and an aggressive in "COPPER." For the brass unit, I got the faceted top cap which is reminiscent of Blackland's Blackbird top cap. The handle is a clone of the Karve. Love this razor. It's shiny, it's heavy, it's really nice looking. Unfortunately, the "COPPER" version, which I had suspicions about, turned out to also be brass (just as shiny, just as nice.)

I messaged them and their response was pretty dignified; they admittedly used the term "COPPER" to describe the color of the razor, not the metal used. They admitted that due to the language barrier, it was not what they intended to convey, and they promised to update the listings to remove the word "COPPER."

So while I was excited to receive a copper CNC razor, still, no such thing exists, which is probably fine. I don't even care much for aluminum razors due to the malleability of the metal. Copper would be similar and would probably be very challenging to maintain.

If anyone is on the fence about buying one, just know that they only offer two metals (and it looks like they once offered titanium but no longer do) and those two metals are stainless steel and brass. Furthermore, I do recommend them, especially for the price.

I know this isn't exactly a review, and it's almost an advertisement, but I genuinely thought if anyone was curious and just wanted to know before ordering, this info might be helpful.

-Hache'

**I may be incorrect about copper razors not existing. Does Charcoal make one? Someone I thought might've. But no cheap clone thereof exists yet on Ali.

RR Razors say "Made in Canada." Are you saying that is not true?
I think if that is what you concluded by reading my post, you should perhaps go back and re-read it. Also, you sound like Joseph. Just sayin'...

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
RR Razors say "Made in Canada." Are you saying that is not true?

Razorock's gamechanger, mamba and bbs... and other CNC additional razors have always been made in Canada.

DSCosmetic cloned Razorock's products in reverse, and DSCosmetic itself acknowledged this in the China forum.

However, Chinese shaver still prefers to buy Razorock products such as gamechanger 84 because of its more precise quality. And the price gap provided by DSCosmetic is limited.

I come from a neighboring country and Chinese is also my mother tongue.

I think if that is what you concluded by reading my post, you should perhaps go back and re-read it. Also, you sound like Joseph. Just sayin'...
I honestly meant no disrespect. You made the suggestion that DSC "Looks like they are either the supplier for RR, buy from the same supplier as RR, or they are just a very good clone of the RR CNC line" and conclude the close copy "leads me to believe it's just a very well-reverse-engineered clone of the original(s)." I admit I did not read thoroughly enough to fully appreciate your conclusion that DSC is likely a copy of the RR. My apologies for reading too quickly.

I have read that in the recent past at least one American maker contracted with a machine shop for a "made in USA" razor, but the machine shop outsourced the work overseas. The fraudulent machinist activity was discovered and the problem rectified. I was just wondering if there was any evidence of fraud (intentional or unintentional) regarding RR production in Canada. Clearly that is not any part of your post, and I apologize for derailing.

There are a few Josephs in my acquaintance, but none of them are involved with shaving. Who is Joseph?

I find Aliexpress to be a difficult site to navigate and make sense of. I could not find a .68 gap razor. Ironically it seems most of the razors I found in the DSCosmetic store are described as "copper" even though the pictured razors are chrome colored.

I was already pretty sure they are clones, as the finishes on them aren't as nice as RR GC.

I own nearly every RR stainless razor made in every gap, in every plate. I still love the DSCosmetics I received. I might be lucky though. I may have just gotten some of the "better" runs.

@ewk, None taken. All is well.

I was already pretty sure they are clones, as the finishes on them aren't as nice as RR GC.

I own nearly every RR stainless razor made in every gap, in every plate. I still love the DSCosmetics I received. I might be lucky though. I may have just gotten some of the "better" runs.
I *had* a RR Lupo .95 until last week. One of my boys shaved with it and let me know I will not be getting it back!

It is promising to know DSC was responsive, stand by their product, and fixed your problem. I see they have produced some signature brushes for a few YooToob shaving influencers.

I also bought that DSC "copper" razor base and cap and was so pleased with it That I bought what I thought would buy matching copper handles from the guy from Russia and one from ATT. Didn't take long to find out that they didn't match. :blushing: Oh well... such is life. Sold the one from ATT and replaced it with a brass one. Still have the Russian one if somebody needs it.

The DSC is now one of my top 5 razors and well worth the $.

Attachments

• 2021-07-20 14_05_36-Photo - Google Photos - Brave.png
    2021-07-20 14_05_36-Photo - Google Photos - Brave.png
    361.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 2021-07-20 14_04_45-Photo - Google Photos - Brave.png
    2021-07-20 14_04_45-Photo - Google Photos - Brave.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 93
I own almost every RR, and have 2 Brass Blackbirds and a SS Dart, this DS Cosmetics razor shown doesn’t look like a copy of any of those but looks like a shameless copy of a Timeless Bronze razor, of which I own 3.

I own almost every RR, and have 2 Brass Blackbirds and a SS Dart, this DS Cosmetics razor shown doesn’t look like a copy of any of those but looks like a shameless copy of a Timeless Bronze razor, of which I own 3.
I own all of the razors you mentioned including a few Timeless razors in bronze, stainless and aluminum. While the scalloped top cap does resemble the Timeless scalloped cap, they are quite different and the base plates are light-years apart. The plates neither resemble anything from Timeless, nor do they shave like them. The only comparison is one version of a scalloped cap vs another.

The top scalloped cap looks exactly like it and pretty sure that handle has the same exact slanted spiral design. Blatant rip-off no matter if the plates are different. They are purposely trying to copy the Timeless styling

The top scalloped cap looks exactly like it and pretty sure that handle has the same exact slanted spiral design. Blatant rip-off no matter if the plates are different. They are purposely trying to copy the Timeless styling
I own them so I can compare them. They are similar but only the top caps and again, if you held them both, you'd see great differences. Timeless has not lost any sales from me. Buy whatever you want. It's a free country.

Hachet, can you see the post right before your last one and compare the pictures?? They are literally identical. Can’t you see that?

I'm curious as to why people do not express an equal amount of outrage and disgust towards RazoRock's (and Maggard's) blatant Edwin Jagger and Muhle ripoffs or the Lupo. So much stuff looks alike. Remove the lids from soaps and mix them up. Can you tell them apart? What if one's formula is very similar to another? I don't think this should bother people so much. Shane makes very nice, very unique razors and despite clones, everyone wants a Vector. Those who can afford one will pay the money for the real thing. Also, an artist like Timeless or Blackland loses more money when people sell their razors second hand. They lose a sale to themselves. Variety is not inherently bad and I like that there are affordable options which people will be more forgiving of in terms of build quality (I know what I'm getting for $30-$60.) Lastly, it isn't easy to make a decent stainless or machined razor. I think it's okay for them to get paid to do it.

Top Bottom