What's new

Refurbished Re-Plated Razor?

Aside from cosmetic reasons, is it advisable to refurbish and re-plate a vintage razor? Are we adding or loosing value? Is a vintage razor in good / excellent conditions more valuable than one just refurbished and re-plated?

It likely depends on which razor you’re talking about. If it’s a fairly common Gillette, a replate isn’t probably going to lessen the value and may increase it somewhat. If you’re talking a rarer model, your resale market would be skewed toward collectors who likely prefer an original finish.

I prefer originality even with imperfections. However, if by refurbish you allow the razor to be used again, I'm all for it.

That said, some of the replating I've seen here are a beauty to behold.

In general a replated razor is worth less to collectors. It may be worth more to an individual who uses the razor. This is very similar to what happens with cars and other collectables where the real collectors prefer 'patina.' :a29:

I replated some favorites that had a lot of plate loss and or issues. Any that are near mint or rare are best left alone.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I say if your going to keep it, replate it if needed. If you are going to sell it, dont.

Kind regards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have replated (or rather I had them re-plated) some razors that simply were not in collectable condition and they went from curios to cherished members of my rotation.

A clean and re-plated razor is a more sterile instrument and in some cases will shave better than a rough or pitted example. I also don't want ugly razors in my den, out in the open, when part of the rotation.

To br frank, my razors are for me to enjoy - I don't give a whit what the next owner may one day think. These are not mega-investments, I do what brings be pleasure. I recommend this approach, razors are not your 401K.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I have replated (or rather I had them re-plated) some razors that simply were not in collectable condition and they went from curios to cherished members of my rotation.

A clean and re-plated razor is a more sterile instrument and in some cases will shave better than a rough or pitted example. I also don't want ugly razors in my den, out in the open, when part of the rotation.

To br frank, my razors are for me to enjoy - I don't give a whit what the next owner may one day think. These are not mega-investments, I do what brings be pleasure. I recommend this approach, razors are not your 401K.
:a14:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
For something like a daily user Super Speed, find the absolute best original example you can for probably $25 or less and just use it. Buy an ugly one for $8 and sink $65 more in nickel plate plus postage and you're upside down.

For something like a daily user Super Speed, find the absolute best original example you can for probably $25 or less and just use it. Buy an ugly one for $8 and sink $65 more in nickel plate plus postage and you're upside down.

That's true, but on some of the best vintage models, they were only originally gold washed. The finish didn't hold up well then, and it holds up less today.

A thick modern replate makes daily use on, say, a Sheraton or new sc auchore viable option .

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
If I had more cash, and the War Department didn't have veto power over all expenditures in the house I get to live in, I'd have way more razors than I do, and as @Claven2 sez, that gold wash is one reason I don't have any gold ones. But if I had the cash, and the German that agreed to marry me would let me, I'd have a whole bunch of replated and Ceracoted razors in this house.

Aside from cosmetic reasons, is it advisable to refurbish and re-plate a vintage razor? Are we adding or loosing value? Is a vintage razor in good / excellent conditions more valuable than one just refurbished and re-plated?

I prefer original razors if possible but I also really like that my razors’ platings are in good shape. No need to refurbish or replate if the razor is in fine shape - but if not... behold 3 RFB’s, 2 replated and one original. Which one would you shave with? :)

AAF078C6-D0C0-4B50-8134-34D14A37E9EB.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom