What's new

Refurbished 100 yr old razors carriers - incl Big Fellow case (pics)

Gents, as I am on summer break and my wife only arrives tomorrow (bringing home Stirling aftershaves from the US, yay) I’ve been dabbling and thought I’d share what I have been doing of late.

I am on an eternal razor case building journey. All my life I have been fascinated with old wood boxes so when I dove into DE vintages I immediately started considering how they could be stored and transported in style and safety.

The following are my 2 favorites, and I just wanted to share as I know that some of you guys are also into building carrying cases for your razors.

But first the disclaimer - I have never been a handyman. My older brother took all the talents in that department. But now, past 50, I have decided to do handyman projects anyway. They will never be perfect but I love doing them, and thankfully I have a low threshold for accepting the flawed outcomes :). So if you zoom in on the pics you will definitely see flaws, but overall they are pretty ok for me.

Anyways - these are the projects:

PROJECT 1: The 4 razor box to store my 4 absolute favorite razors
A while back I found a beautiful 100 yr old wooden dovetailed box originally built for carrying measuring equipment. The measurements of the box were perfect razor size, so I decided to varnish the exterior (I love boats varnish) and rebuild the interior to carry 4 razors in style. Below is the result. Alongside this, I had a blast thinking about which 4 razors would then live inthere. Because I decided that this would be the box I will rush out of the house in case of fire. This is the case to hold the only 4 razors I would keep if I should ever decide to become a minimalist.

The 3 spots were long since taken, and last Friday I finally received a gorgeous silver New RFB #77 from Chris Evatt so I could fill the 4th spot. So here they are, my 4 absolute shave darlings (or the FAB 4 as they are all Brits) in their future home.

AD9D279F-C229-43E1-AA91-F70EEFFECC77.jpeg
A63B3912-B593-40F2-9A44-6CE05191346A.jpeg

PROJECT 2: The 2-razor Big Fellow carrying case

A couple of months ago I started a thread with questions on how to rebuild a Big Fellow case. I have been absolutely smitten with these old wooden dovetail cases ever since seeing one for the first time. And especially when I noticed that actually it should be possible to fit not 1 but 2 razors in there! - Which I would really love as I always like to carry 2 razors with me when travelling.

And because I never really had seen one of these cases being offered alone without the razor in it, the first item of the day was to post a BST thread to attract a donor for the project. Immediately a kind fellow B&B’er pointed me to a specimen having just been put up on the US bay. It was posted as “structurally excellent” but with exterior wear - which clearly was the case (see below pic). In other words it fit the bill perfectly so I jumped in and luckily I won.

Now, a couple of days ago I finally got around to work on it. I really worried about how to get the interior wood piece out but when it arrived this piece was loose already - perfect! ...However other parts of the case were loose too so I had to reglue it back together again.

Then, as always, boats varnish to the exterior. And then I discovered that I could actually re-use the interior piece if I cut it up real carefully. This would ensure also that the spring for the lock would stay mounted.

So that is what I did and the below is the result. The tricky part was to cut out the fabric pieces to follow the inner wood structure and look nice. I did NOT do a 100% job of that. Did not cut well nor glue well, had to regroup midway as the bottom piece I’d made did not work. So no pics of that :blushing:. However it is still ok to use I think. And I can always redo it if I want to.

Hope you’ll enjoy the pics and maybe get inspired.

Happy summer shaves, all!

519C6E3F-0444-4609-988F-1E5A21964AF4.jpeg
4D8E4A40-9D55-4215-8AF3-540D9436ABF7.jpeg
5D841EED-4DFA-4658-A91A-19D68A76A9F3.jpeg
6C9594D6-2048-4E36-83E2-021FF24E6C92.jpeg

Last edited:
Gents, as I am on summer break and my wife only arrives tomorrow (bringing home Stirling aftershaves from the US, yay) I’ve been dabbling and thought I’d share what I have been doing of late.

I am on an eternal razor case building journey. All my life I have been fascinated with old wood boxes so when I dove into DE vintages I immediately started considering how they could be stored and transported in style and safety.

The following are my 2 favorites, and I just wanted to share as I know that some of you guys are also into building carrying cases for your razors.

But first the disclaimer - I have never been a handyman. My older brother took all the talents in that department. But now, past 50, I have decided to do handyman projects anyway. They will never be perfect but I love doing them, and thankfully I have a low threshold for accepting the flawed outcomes :). So if you zoom in on the pics you will definitely see flaws, but overall they are pretty ok for me.

Anyways - these are the projects:

PROJECT 1: The 4 razor box to store my 4 absolute favorite razors

A while back I found a beautiful 100 yr old wooden dovetailed box originally built for carrying measuring equipment. The measurements of the box were perfect razor size, so I decided to varnish the exterior (I love boats varnish) and rebuild the interior to carry 4 razors in style. Below is the result. Alongside this, I had a blast thinking about which 4 razors would then live inthere. Because I decided that this would be the box I will rush out of the house in case of fire. This is the case to hold the only 4 razors I would keep if I ever should decide to become a minimalist.

The 3 spots were long since taken, and last Friday I finally received a gorgeous silver New RFB #77 from Chris Evatt so I could fill the 4th spot. So here they are, my 4 absolute shave darlings (or the FAB 4 as they are all Brits) in their future home.

View attachment 899570 View attachment 899568

PROJECT 2: The 2-razor Big Fellow carrying case

A couple of months ago I started a thread with questions on how to rebuild a Big Fellow case. I have been absolutely smitten with these old wooden dovetail cases ever since seeing one for the first time. And especialy when I noticed that actually it should be possible to fit not 1 but 2 razors in there! - Which I would really love as I always like to carry 2 razors with me when travelling.

And because I never really had seen one of these cases being offered alone without the razor in it, the first item of the day was to post a BST thread to attract a donor for the project. Immediately a kind fellow B&B’er pointed me to a specimen having jut been put up on the US bay. It was posted as “structurally excellent” but with exterior wear - which clearly was the case (see below pic). In other words it fit the bill perfectly so I jumped in and luckily I won.

Now, a couple of days ago I finally got around to work on it. I really worried about how to get the interior wood piece out but when it arrived this piece was loose already - perfect! ...However other parts of the case were loose too so I had to reglue it back together again.

Then, as always, boats varnish to the exterior. And then I discovered that I could actually re-use the interior piece if I cut it up real carefully. This would ensure also that the spring for the lock would stay mounted.

So that is what I did and the below is the result. The tricky part was to cut out the fabric pieces to follow the inner wood structure and look nice. I did NOT do a 100% job of that. Did not cut well nor glue well, had to regroup midway as the bottom piece I’d made did not work. So no pics of that :blushing:. However it is still ok to use I think. And I can always redo it if I want to.

Hope you’ll enjoy the pics and maybe get inspired.

Happy summer shaves, all!

View attachment 899569 View attachment 899571 View attachment 899572 View attachment 899573
Definitely love to see some photos of your handy work!

Thank you, all, so much for your kind comments, sure appreciate them!

@tonich - tell you what, you can have the 4 if I get free pick of 4 others amongst your collection :lol1::lol1::lol1: ...And thanks for the gorgeous #77, sir :thumbup1:

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Thank you, all, so much for your kind comments, sure appreciate them!

@tonich - tell you what, you can have the 4 if I get free pick of 4 others amongst your collection [emoji38]1:[emoji38]1:[emoji38]1: ...And thanks for the gorgeous #77, sir [emoji106]1:
Quick thinking, Peter!

You did awesome on those cases. Bravo!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom