What's new

Refurbish services

Hey all, I’m looking for a reputable refurbish service to help tune up a razor or two. I’ve heard great things about CAP Chris Smith and BackRoadsGold. Are there any other shops out there I’m missing who have a good track record of providing quality refurbish services?

Thanks!

I sent Cap two emails last year without a response . If someone has contact info or suggestion a PM would be appreciated.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

I sent Cap two emails last year without a response . If someone has contact info or suggestion a PM would be appreciated.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

I sent him an email earlier today, to an old address I had for him a year or so ago. I’ll let you know if I hear anything back.

Last I knew Cap was working closely with Chris at Razorplate, so if you're looking at a replate, I would just contact Chris through the web site.

Backroads Gold has done exemplary replating on several razors for me. Turnaround time is quick (about a week for my last one) and quality is first rate.
Sheraton Re-Plate.jpg

Bad news is that they sold their AZ home and will be moving to set up shop in Wyoming. According to the website, they expect to be back at it in August.

@gwsmallwood thanks for both suggestions. Unfortunately, I haven’t heard the best about REs services and have read on a few places here in B&B recommending to avoid them if possible.
I'll let you know my thoughts soon. I'm an AZ native, so I've become acquaintances with Matt. I dropped off a couple of razors last week just to get the blade gaps increased a bit. Hoping to have them back next week.

Backroads Gold has done exemplary replating on several razors for me. Turnaround time is quick (about a week for my last one) and quality is first rate.
View attachment 1120554
Bad news is that they sold their AZ home and will be moving to set up shop in Wyoming. According to the website, they expect to be back at it in August.
Do you use this razor or does it just sit on the display? I was thinking of getting one I have replated by Chris, some people say its unusable then? Which doesn't make much sense to me.

What's the point of replating with a heavy, hard plating if you can't use it? For me, if I can't use it, it's not worth keeping. I have several old raggedy razors that were replated and not only look great, but shave great.
No clue what 'some peoples' rationale for "not usable" is.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Not even using a razor even very occasionally, say once per year, and simply keeping it for 'display' is tragic. Even collectors with hundreds of razors surely must use them every now and again else what is the point? They have become nothing more than a museum. Having a razor plated so as to render it unusable is pathetic in my opinion. Surely nobody does that intentionally? To each his own I suppose 👍

My experience with RE was fine, but I was just having some simple gap adjustments done and was able to drop off the razors at the shop and have them shipped back.

Top Bottom