What's new

Refurb Question - Boiling Adjustables?

So now that I've gotten my feet wet from wetshaving, I'm now into getting old DEs in flea markets and on eBay.

I've gotten down a pretty good process that turns it around remarkably.
The only part I am unclear of, when it comes to the adjustables - is boiling them.
I typically only do so for about 6 minutes or so, but I don't want to risk it.

As I understand it, you NEVER want to boil any razor with rubber or plastic components.
Are there any of those in any of the slim or fatboy's?

I'm guessing the super-adjustables are out as well, given they have a long plastic handle.

So now that I've gotten my feet wet from wetshaving, I'm now into getting old DEs in flea markets and on eBay.

I've gotten down a pretty good process that turns it around remarkably.
The only part I am unclear of, when it comes to the adjustables - is boiling them.
I typically only do so for about 6 minutes or so, but I don't want to risk it.

As I understand it, you NEVER want to boil any razor with rubber or plastic components.
Are there any of those in any of the slim or fatboy's?

I'm guessing the super-adjustables are out as well, given they have a long plastic handle.

I would not recommend you boil ANY razor, especially one with a plastic handle. Slims and Fatboys do not have plastic or rubber components, but don't boil them anyway.

I have had great success with bringing a pot of water to a boil, then remove it from the heat source and let it cool to about 180° (1-3 mins). I then add 1 oz. of Dawn dish soap per 2 cups of water. Let the razors soak until you can stick your hand in the pot with out burning yourself (30-45 mins).

This will remove most of the heavy build up on the razor. I then use a toothbrush to gently scrub the razors to remove any residual grime.

I just got my "new" Slim yesterday and brought the water to a very slight boil and let it simmer for probably 10 minutes or so with no ill effects. Personally though I think my gas burners are a little safer than an electric because in the large pot I use the flame fans out to the sides of the bottom which leaves the middle (where the razor is) out of direct contact with the hottest part. This is probably not at all the case but it makes me feel better. On a side note it's amazing the gunk that came out of the Slim.........looked like I had dipped the pot into the waters off the coast of Louisana!:thumbdown

Whatever you guys do don't boil a gold plated razor. You'll destroy the protective lacquer covering. I know I learned the hard way. I have never boiled a razor since (any razor).

Len

I used to boil everything, then I asked the same question and got the same answers. Don't boil them. there are enough cleaning products out there that are safe for the metals and will kill any bacteria.
soap scum is your biggest enemy. Scrubbing bubbles or another soap scum remover will take care of that.
I always finish with a long soak in Barbicide.

I've boiled every vintage razor (Slims, Fatboys, Redtips) I've ever bought and have never had any problem with them as a result. I haven't seen any good arguments why one shouldn't boil them if they don't have meltable parts.

Jeff in Boston

It is a myth that boiling razors will affect their appearance or performance. All razors, including the adjustables are made of 100% metal. Metal do not react in any way in boiling water.

I BOIL ALL MY RAZORS ALL THE TIME AND END WITH FANTASTIC RESULTS EACH TIME

(What cleaning agent or sanitisers to use is another subject)

Whoever says not to boil razors made of metal is...........WRONG !!!!

That is my experience !!!!

----------------------------------

Vijay

+1 to no problem with boiling as long as the razor is all metal and not gold. I boiled 2 fatboys, 2 slims, and 2 SS that I have bought. No issues with either whatsoever.

If you're going to boil them, avoid letting it contact the bottom of the pot. If that happens, the temperature of the razor will be much hotter than boiling. (I was boiling a potted electronic component to soften the epoxy and the metal casing got hot enough that it changed colors

I'd use an ultrasonic instead of boiling to get out hidden gunk

If you're going to boil them, avoid letting it contact the bottom of the pot. If that happens, the temperature of the razor will be much hotter than boiling. (I was boiling a potted electronic component to soften the epoxy and the metal casing got hot enough that it changed colors

it is unlikely the element or bottom of the pot will reach a temperature hot enough to affect metal, however as a precaution i usually throw in one of those steamer liners...you know the one that looks like a metal dome but opens up for you steam with? those work well (but hey, that is metal too, and it doesnt melt!:biggrin1:)

Sounds good, but I don't have an ultrasonic. Not to mention it seems there are other concerns when it comes to the ultrasonics anyway.

I think in the end I will low boil for short periods, being mindful not to do so on gold plated or rubber/resin handled razors.

Doesn't one of the razors have a small O ring in it? Like a gasket? Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd rather find out now, than make a mistake later...

From personal experience I would not boil a razor such as a Fatboy or slim. I went down that road and it removed all the paint from the numbers, the ring and the red paint on the spring. I was disgusted afterwards, it was in great condition before I boiled it too, beware!!

Thanks for all the advice.

I've only been tinkering with Slim Adjustables thus far, and the spring appears to be black on those I've gotten.
Is the red spring on Fatboy's? Or have I gotten several that have the red worn off to where it appears black?

Much appreciated :)

I would NOT boil adjustables just cause of their paint. In my experience i've never had any problems boiling plain techs, news, olds, etc... so long as they have no paint. I don't actually "BOIL" it, i just boil water, place the hot water into another container mixed with Simple-Green, let it sit till cools down, and then scrub with toothpaste and warm water.

Last edited:
I've been boiling others that have panit including Blue Tips with success.
Not to say I don't do so in limited amounts - no more than 5 minutes.
But the idea of a hot water soak is a good one. Perhaps I'll stick to that in the future.
I always follow up with an overnight soak in simple green regardless, which does a great job as well.

I've been boiling others that have panit including Blue Tips with success.
Not to say I don't do so in limited amounts - no more than 5 minutes.
But the idea of a hot water soak is a good one. Perhaps I'll stick to that in the future.
I always follow up with an overnight soak in simple green regardless, which does a great job as well.

You need to be careful with simple green, too.

I soaked a black handled SS overnight in simple green and it turned the black resin to a pretty shade of light gray.

I'm thinking the lesson here is to avoid prolonged exposure to any cleaning product. Shorter, repeated cleanings appear to be the safest method.

I soaked a black handled SS overnight in simple green and it turned the black resin to a pretty shade of light gray.

+1 In the theater were I work at, we use simple green to clean old metal that we use for the sets that we build. It'll take off anything caked on the metal, and then another few layers.
Also it's used to strip paint off of plastic miniatures, so I suppose there might be a problem there too if used with adjustable's.

Has anybody here ever used an electric tea kettle to boil some water and then use that to clean razor ?

I think in the end I will low boil for short periods, ...

[science content] Low boil, high boil,...it doesn't make any difference whatsoever. Once water reaches boiling temperature, it is the same temperature no matter how fast it is boiling, and the temperature cannot be raised by boiling it faster; this just turns it into vapor more rapidly [/science content]

Just FYI.

I'm thinking the lesson here is to avoid prolonged exposure to any cleaning product. Shorter, repeated cleanings appear to be the safest method.

+1 More then a few razors have been ruined by prolonged soaking, including removing all the plating.

Len

Top Bottom