What's new

Refurb Question - Boiling Adjustables?

Razors are not porous, people. All you're trying to do is removing gunk and dirt from surfaces, and hot water + scrubbing bubbles is more than sufficient to get that job doe.

From personal experience I would not boil a razor such as a Fatboy or slim. I went down that road and it removed all the paint from the numbers, the ring and the red paint on the spring. I was disgusted afterwards, it was in great condition before I boiled it too, beware!!

Sometimes I've had the black paint come off the ring just from using scrubbing bubbles, but I also boiled a fatboy once and the red lacquer came off the spring as well. I don't think that there's any good reason to boil a razor.

How about a ultrasonic cleaner? What cleaner would you recommend.

I've had very good results just using a couple drops of dish soap in mine. I do tend to run the thing for about a dozen 3-minute cycles, but the soap is enough surfactant to loosen all manner of crud.
-- Chet

I boiled the Gillette Slim and Fat Boy adjustables I just picked up for 10-20 minutes with no ill effects. Subsequent boilings actually got them cleaner. I never boiled them for more than 20 minutes at a time. However, they were the all metal variety.

Last edited:
Top Bottom