What's new

Refried beans recipes - GO!

I've become a little addicted to making refried beans and my go to recipe hasn't changed much - beef dripping, beef stock, black eyed beans, onions, garlic and some of my homemade Tex-Mex seasoning. Add some chopped coriander at the end and they're done.

I keep meaning to try making them with lard, but with the beef dripping they're SO GOOD :thumbup:

Anyone have any particular recipes they really like? And what're your favourite beans to use? I tend to cook them in a skillet and mash with a potato masher, but I'd quite like to get a smoother, creamier texture out of them

Edit - seasoning contains cumin, coriander seed, black pepper, dried chipotle meco, dried pasilla, paprika, onion and garlic powder... So on so forth

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Cook the beans until tender- epazote and beer are good to add to the pot. In a separate skillet, fry bacon until crisp. Remove and crumble. In same skillet, fry garlic in plenty of lard. Add beans. Mash with potato masher to desired consistency. Top with reserved bacon and crumbled cotija cheese.

Sadly my doctor disagrees with the bacon -- and my wife does the lab work.
I might try that healthy recipe -- but I'll have to leave out the salt.

That healthy recipe looks a lot like my everyday pinto bean preparation short of the mashing - except that I usually sub chicken broth in for water. Also, I throw in a hunk of pork side meat where you guys use bacon grease.

I usually see those called charro beans. I don't know if that's a Texas term or not. Cook them with beer instead of water/stock and you have borracho (drunk) beans.

Top Bottom