What's new

Reflections on the rarity of vintage models 102 and 102a.

I wondered about the Gillette 102 and 102a models. Why is model 102a much more often on sale in our time? after all, it was produced for 8 years, and 102 was produced for 18 years, and in our era it is difficult to find 102, the only exception is pocket editions.

R

romsitsa

Actually I have found significantly more Single rings (102 head) than 102a heads. The rarest being the very late no ring model.
Production massively increased during ww1 but a major part of this went to the military (pocket).
I will not do the maths but it is highly likely that during the first 18 years less razors were made than after the patents expired (whether and how the percentage of standard and pocket models changed is unknown to me).

I have a 1917 Montreal Gillette. He is in pristine condition. Judging by the many languages in the instructions, it was delivered to all continents. I am fluent in Russian, as part of Ukraine was once part of the Russian Empire, and it was quite amusing for me to read the old type from the time of the Russian Tsars. This is probably similar to pre-1945 German Gothic. So I realized that the razor from Montreal was sold anywhere in the world of that era.

Difference between 102 and 102a? Pics?
I thought everyone knew this. The last two 102a Well, 102 still has a serial number.
Timeline Old Type small.jpg

Top Bottom