What's new

Refilling Phillips smart clean cartridges

I picked up a Phillips series 9000 shaver a couple of years ago, it came with a cradle that holds these cleaner cartridges that you buy 3 at a time and replace every 3 months or so. Now when I go to buy refills, none of the stores carry them, just the newer round design for their newer Phillips shavers.

I've often wondered why they didn't make these things refillable, given the trend to get away from unnecessary waste from single use plastic products etc. and am considering refilling them myself, rather than paying a premium price for ones still available thru amazon. I see a company called Shaver Shebang sells a refill solution, but they are in the US and don't ship to Canada where I am. Canadian amazon does sell their refills for Braun shavers, but not Phillips.

I would have thought the solution would be similar for all shavers, but I see that the Braun solution gets mixed with alcohol while the Phillips mixes with water.

Anyone here have experience in this, or suggestions on alternatives, ie. homemade solutions etc?

Thanks in advance.

Looks like Amazon Canada has them:

Along with Philips ' Jet Clean which could probably be used as a refill solution, but the cartridges have a couple of internal filters that would likely clog with multiple uses.

Doesn't seem to be a problem finding them online...

thanks for reply, I'm aware I can get them online, but they are almost 2X the cost of what I used to pay in the store, so was looking for alternatives, ie. refilling the plastic cartridges. I would think the cartridges should be somewhat cleanable, I can't see the filters getting that clogged.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Perhaps since you know the basic ingredients for the solution, a printer cartridge refill kit might do the trick.

thanks for reply, I'm aware I can get them online, but they are almost 2X the cost of what I used to pay in the store, so was looking for alternatives, ie. refilling the plastic cartridges. I would think the cartridges should be somewhat cleanable, I can't see the filters getting that clogged.
The Jet Clean solution is pretty much the same as in the cartridges I suspect, and it looks like using those to refill a cartridge is about half the price of the cartridges (on Amazon), so that's a start - and this outfit says they ship outside the US - Shaver Shebang Cleaning Concentrate for all Philips Norelco Jet Clean Systems, Citrus Scent - https://shaveroutlet.com/shaver-shebang-cleaning-concentrate-for-all-philips-norelco-jet-clean-systems-citrus-scent.html.

I keep a plastic tub with screw lid on the counter filled with the Phillips solution. I dunk the Braun shaver head into the tub once or twice a week and let the razor run for a minute or so. Then set it aside to dry.

The solution lasts for about a month depending. Helps to rinse the razor with water before using. Sold on Amazon in refill containers. A couple of containers last several months.

Top Bottom