What's new

? ref Gillette Platinum

I've used the Astra SP and love it, but recently was gifted a small quantity of these blades... I love them! They're giving me outstanding shaves - arguably the best I've ever had. But where do I find them? It appears they're discontinued? If not where can I get a large quantity in bulk?

If they're no longer easy to get and/or expensive, is there another Gillette that's replaced them that's the same? I see Silver Blue, Seven O'Clock, etc so it becomes a bit confusing.

proxy.php

I want THESE here ^^^

They're available on Ebay, assorted vendors & in The Art of Shaving stores. Google is your friend.

Boge is right. I believe this is the only brand Art Of Shaving stores sell. However the last time I went there it cost about $15 for 20 blades.

Thanks guys, Yes I saw them on razoremporium but wow cost a lot more than the Astra SP's I'm used to lol.

Thanks for the links Steve, I've got them saved. I made an order on ebay and have 50 incoming!

How do these compare to the Gillette Silver Blue? Those are very well rated and a bit cheaper, any chance they're comparable to these?

As they say YMMV, but I thought the GSB were similar to and better than the Platinum. Others say the opposite. Try one and see.

Boge is right. I believe this is the only brand Art Of Shaving stores sell. However the last time I went there it cost about $15 for 20 blades.

Yep, & $6 for a tuck of five!! :blink: Ouch!! Nonetheless, this blade is in my personal modern top five. I managed to snag 100 for $20 shipped last year before they became overly priced.

I recently tried the Gillette Platinum courtesy of Edgar, who sent me a tuck. I did a side-by-side comparison with my favorite Polsilver SI. The first day, I used two NEW deluxes and the next day I loaded up twin NEW RFB razors. For me, the two blades were virtually indistinguishable. If anything, the Platinum might be even more effective than the PSI. I already have a few hundred PSIs, but I might need to pick up some the Platinums too ...

I think the Gillette Platinum and Polsilver are identical.

The Polsilver and Platinum both used to be double wrapped, now both are only in the wax paper.

There is a night and day difference to me between Polsilver and Gillette Platinums and Astras. Easily Polsilvers and Platinums worth $25per 100 or so as the Astras were $10 per100, maybe $8.

My ability to make fine distinctions between different blades seems to be in inverse proportion to the amount of DE shaving experience I have gained. In a blind test, I seriously doubt that I would have any chance of telling the two blades apart.
Are they identical other than printing and packaging? I don't know ...
Edgar has used both. Maybe he has an opinion.

I've been using the Gillette Platinum for the past few weeks and it's become my favorite I dare say. I get great shaves from the Astra SP, but the Gillette Platinum gives me the best shaves to date.

My ability to make fine distinctions between different blades seems to be in inverse proportion to the amount of DE shaving experience I have gained. In a blind test, I seriously doubt that I would have any chance of telling the two blades apart.
Are they identical other than printing and packaging? I don't know ...
Edgar has used both. Maybe he has an opinion.
I agree, Doc. I don't think I could tell 'em apart either. They're both excellent blades. Their balance between sharpness and smoothness is the best I've tried.

Astras are definitely not in the same league. Astras IMHO are just an average blade, and yes they're priced accordingly. But my face deserves better, and both the Platinum and the Polsilver are far better, IMO.

I use the Gillette Platinum and like them. I bought mine at AOS. I usually get 5 shaves from a blade. Astra SP are good too but I only can get 3 real good shaves from them. My go to blade now are the Personna Labs that I bought at Sally's Supply. Sharp and I get six shaves from a blade. Tim

The Platinum, Nacet Stainless, Silver Blue & the Rubie Platinum Plus are the Gillette cream of the crop IMO. The Polsilver I have used a few times and it most certainly falls into this group as well. To be frank, any perceived differences may be more contingent upon the day, soap/cream & prep. Another I would put into this group is the superb 7 O'clock Super Stainless. :thumbup1:

I have yet to use a Gillette Russia blade that I did not like, even both types of Astra, just not as much as the aforementioned.

Top Bottom