What's new

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups

Can anyone tell me what they are supposed to be/taste like? In Canada we have Reese cups it's been my go to snack food since I was a kid. They're always amazing: smooth chocolate, soft melt in your mouth peanut butter. Well the other week I read an article on how Canada's and your U.S. version are different so the curiosity got the better of me and I ordered a case on Amazon. Not sure if the ones I got are how they are supposed to be but the texture of chocolate was grainy and the peanut butter was crumbly hard and dry as a cork. They were not melted and had a best by date of 04/2020.

Yes that's an American Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. Now you have my curiosity as to what a Canadian one is like.

I'm going to have to try and get my hands on some Canadian ones. I like the American ones but something tells me I'd like your version better. They sure sound better. I've always felt that quality over quantity is the rule of the day. I used to work with some people that would go on these cruises and they'd come back, far heavier than before, and talk about how much food there was. The shrimp were "this big". "You could eat literally 24 hours a day." And they looked it. But never, not once did I hear them say anything substantive to describe how the food was prepared or why it was good. I'm now on a search for Reese Cups.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I have memories of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups tasting like the Canadian ones. I almost remember the peanut butter trying to ooze out of them a bit. Those are old memories, though, and perhaps just delusions.

The American ones taste something like mud-covered dirt.

I have memories of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups tasting like the Canadian ones. I almost remember the peanut butter trying to ooze out of them a bit. Those are old memories, though, and perhaps just delusions.

The American ones taste something like mud-covered dirt.
Our cups peanut butter ooze like you describe.

Funny that you ask this because I just finished eating one, the US version. The chocolate is creamy smooth, the peanut butter grainy -- just as I have remembered them for decades.

Try freezing them. It my might change your perspective.

Here's an interesting tidbit. Reese's is the best selling candy brand sold in the US by a substantial margin. US sales totaled $2.603 Billion in sales annually. Interestingly global sales total only $2.679 Billion annually. Us Americans clearly eat waaaaaaaay too much candy. And The H.B. Reese Candy Company is owned by..........drum roll..........Hershey's. H.B. Reese was a dairy farmer and shipping forman who worked for Hershey's, which he left to start his own candy company. He invented the Peanut Butter Cup in his basement. Apparently when H.B. Reese died in 1956, he left the company to his sons. In 1963 the Reese brothers merged the H.B. Reese Candy Company with The Hersey Chocolate Company in a stock for stock swap. The brother's stock is now worth $2.5 Billion today. I find this stuff fascinating.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
What drives me nuts is this THIN trend. Recee’s THINS Oreo THINS. What the booger!? I know what they are doing...they are preparing us for the day when THIN Reece’s is the new “regular” Reece’s. Less for More.

I want more of the Kit Kat flavors you can get in Japan here in the states. I love my Reese's Cups but KitKats and Crunch bars are just simple and delicious. But so many flavors not available in the states.

Reece's cups are my favorite and always have been. I always have a 2 cup big cup in the fridge at all times. I eat at least one pack a day. I used to drive a truck over the road and spent much of my career on a dedicated run to Ontario. I have had the pleasure of eating both and the Canadian ones definitely have very creamy peanut butter on them and not the confectioner sugar/peanut butter mix that we have in the States. Theirs are literally like a spoonful of peanut butter from the jar dumped in and chocolate poured around it. But, as stated, theirs are smaller than our normal ones and no comparison to the Big Cups.

Interesting thread. I was just thinking that I did not like the combination of peanut butter and chocolate, whihc did not really make sense to me, but maybe I was just getting a bad type of Reese's cup!

Interesting thread. I was just thinking that I did not like the combination of peanut butter and chocolate, whihc did not really make sense to me, but maybe I was just getting a bad type of Reese's cup!
I think you would love ours. Night and day difference which I wasn't expecting to be honest.

I like the American ones ok, but do feel that the peanut butter is grainy. And Hershey's chocolate is not the best chocolate out there. The Canadian ones sound better. There are smaller artisan options that use better peanut butter and dark chocolate. Now that's more my speed.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
It's grainy.

I sometimes sneak into the kitchen while the War Department sleeps, and put a Hershey bar in the peanut butter jar.....

Top Bottom