What's new

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups

It's grainy.

I sometimes sneak into the kitchen while the War Department sleeps, and put a Hershey bar in the peanut butter jar.....

Awesome. I do something similar. I will take a jar of peanut butter, a spoon and a bag of chocolate morsels from the freezer and will munch on them while watching TV late at night until I feel ill. Great stuff.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Awesome. I do something similar. I will take a jar of peanut butter, a spoon and a bag of chocolate morsels from the freezer and will munch on them while watching TV late at night until I feel ill. Great stuff.
You remind me of my biology Prof in kollege! His involved M&M's, all in the name of science.

I need to try making some with home-made peanut butter (actually roasted, eh?) and good chocolate. Only real issue is that I can't seem to find the correct sized polycarbonate molds and will have to do individual ones in paper cups.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Ours have sucked for decades. Like others have said, grainy peanut butter and crappy chocolate. I have a weakness for Reese's Pieces, though. A severe weakness.

Ours have sucked for decades. Like others have said, grainy peanut butter and crappy chocolate. I have a weakness for Reese's Pieces, though. A severe weakness.

Funny that I don't have as much of an affection for Reese's Pieces as I do for the cups. And I also prefer the small ones over the larger ones. I suppose I'd like the larger ones if the chocolate and peanut butter were of acceptable quality.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Funny that I don't have as much of an affection for Reese's Pieces as I do for the cups. And I also prefer the small ones over the larger ones. I suppose I'd like the larger ones if the chocolate and peanut butter were of acceptable quality.
I always felt the cups were too dry. Not quite sure why I love Pieces so much.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
About 25 years ago a coworker calculated that I had eaten over 10,000 Reese’s peanut butter cups. For years I had six every day in my lunchbox. I don’t eat that many anymore.

Now I need to try the Canadian ones. One thing I know for sure is, the tiny ones wrapped in aluminum foil are the worst. So avoid those.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The War Department eats the "pieces" mixed with plain M&M's. I do too, when she don't ketch me!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
... aaaand now I find out that you Yankees have your own version of the Oh Henry! bar as well.

1574707074237.png

Yeah, the Canadian one is on the right.

... aaaand now I find out that you Yankees have your own version of the Oh Henry! bar as well.

View attachment 1038103

Yeah, the Canadian one is on the right.

Too many peanuts in the Canadian one. I like caramel and the one on the left seems to have a better balance of the peanuts, caramel and fudge. Although I reserve the right to change that view once I know what that mass of beige is in the middle of the Canadian one on the right. My first thought was it's a peanut but as I look closer at it, it appears to be something else?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Although I reserve the right to change that view once I know what that mass of beige is in the middle of the Canadian one on the right. My first thought was it's a peanut but as I look closer at it, it appears to be something else?

Fudge.

Think of a fudge core, coated with caramel. Then that is coated with peanuts and chocklatty. (Let's face it, "chocolaty coating" isn't just a phrase, it's meant to avoid calling the brown stuff "chocolate" ... nobody uses real chocolate in the chocolatty coating ... but I digress).

I like the Canadian one ... big fan of peanuts, though. Big fan of peanut butter, too, so I like the Reese as well.

Thankfully my dentist was collecting leftover halloween candy to use as packing material for packages sent to troops overseas. I had a dentist appt on 11/4 and with no trick or treaters, my big bags of candy (with lots of PB cups) from Costco, and loads of candy my daughter and husband had left over, I gave to my dentist. This thread is making me wish I had saved some peanut butter cups.

If you want to try another good one for Christmas, look for Snicker's Christmas Trees. Thinner and softer than regular Snickers, they are really good and addicting.

Maybe it is nostalgia, but I seem to remember US Reese's Cups from a few decades ago were much better. The chocolate was better and there was a bit of molasses flavor to them (could be wrong about that). In the current ones, the chocolate tastes like it is mixed with wax, the flavor seems more artificial, instead of molasses there is more of a straight sugar hit.

I feel like you'd have to make your own to get really good peanut butter cups.

Top Bottom