What's new

Reducing the shower curtain effect

Has anyone found a way of reducing the shower curtain effect? You know how the shower curtain blows inwards and upwards towards the shower stream. I have used shower curtains with weights at the bottom and they don't really help (or I don't have enough of them I guess). Are there any heavy duty shower curtains that are more resistant to the effect? I hate the feeling of the wet curtain rubbing against me. I'm half tempted to just install a shower door :001_tt2:

The shower curtains with weights are really magnets, but they just serve as weights with my fiberglass tub.

This usually happens if you leave the bathroom door open. When the door is open the rising hot/humid air creates a negative pressure that basically sucks in air from the hallway/bedroom or wherever causing the shower curtain to be pulled inward. This is slightly worsened when you have a vent fan on as well. If the door is closed and this is still happening, then you either have a draft from some type of source or your vent fan is really powerful!

Simplest way to handle this I discovered in an increasing number of hotel stays. Readily available is a replacement shower curtain rod that, instead of being straight across, bends outward from the tub. Uses the same curtain and hookups, but holds the curtain away from the tub. Home Depot or others like this have this available.

Simplest way to handle this I discovered in an increasing number of hotel stays. Readily available is a replacement shower curtain rod that, instead of being straight across, bends outward from the tub. Uses the same curtain and hookups, but holds the curtain away from the tub. Home Depot or others like this have this available.
Hey I forgot about those. They do work pretty darn good.

This usually happens if you leave the bathroom door open. When the door is open the rising hot/humid air creates a negative pressure that basically sucks in air from the hallway/bedroom or wherever causing the shower curtain to be pulled inward. This is slightly worsened when you have a vent fan on as well. If the door is closed and this is still happening, then you either have a draft from some type of source or your vent fan is really powerful!

Ahhh! I'll try sealing the doors to the bedroom and closet. Maybe cut down on the airflow, at the expense of fogging the mirror I guess.

I thought about that. Unfortunately, I have a small bathroom and it's already pretty close between the toilet and tub.

+1 They're good!

EDIT- Just noticed your post about toilet proximity. Can you hang the bowed rod higher up? The curtain will still tuck inside the tub, so you won't be losing any real-estate outside the tub near the bottom.

Last edited:
Ahhh! I'll try sealing the doors to the bedroom and closet. Maybe cut down on the airflow, at the expense of fogging the mirror I guess.
Airflow inside the tub can help sometimes.

If it's on an exterior wall and you have a window, open it.
If not, but the fart fan is above the tub, turn it on.

I've stayed in a lot of cheap hotels that only have a shower stall, but have a fan in that stall and I've never had a problem with the curtain blowing.

They sell shower curtains with tiny suction cups midway and at the bottom on both sides. I get in and just tack on the middle ones (3 secs) and problem solved.

Opening a window in the bathroom will help but it has to be an exterior window. This is all caused by the airflowing into the bathroom as I stated earlier. If you have a problem with fogging of mirrors, then spray some canned shaving gel on the dry mirror and wipe it around the entire mirror until it fades away....I think that is how Heloise said to do it! But I guarantee you if you try the method I stated earlier, then you will not have the problem. Good luck.

I think you should keep the shower curtain going the way it is. Meteorogically, what you're doing there is developing your own personal low pressure system. Keep it going for awhile and tornadoes may start--great for getting dry in a hurry and convincing Cindy the Weather Girl to come do a special weather update from your tub.

:w00t:

I have a two piece shower curtain. The part that hangs outside the tub is basically fabric. The part on the inside is heavy duty vinyl. I just make sure the ends of the inside shower curtain are wet so that they stick to the fiberglass surround. The fact that it is a two piece curtain seems to be what prevents it from blowing inward. Never happens.

Having the doors sealed didn't work but there was less billowing. Don't have an external window. The vent fan is more in the middle of the bathroom than over the tub. I do have two shower curtains.. a heavy fabric one on the outside, and a vinyl liner on the inside. I looked at a fabric one on amazon and people were complaining about mildew problems which is exactly what I was worried about.

Having the doors sealed didn't work but there was less billowing. Don't have an external window. The vent fan is more in the middle of the bathroom than over the tub. I do have two shower curtains.. a heavy fabric one on the outside, and a vinyl liner on the inside. I looked at a fabric one on amazon and people were complaining about mildew problems which is exactly what I was worried about.

I don't have one anymore (shower enclosure instead) but we would just toss the whole thing into the washing machine about once a month, never had a problem.

Top Bottom