What's new

Reducing My Salt Intake

I’ve gained some weight during this pandemic. my Blood pressure was a little high. So the Dr increased my medication dosage. They want me to reduce caffeine and salt. Dr recommend this True Lime stuff.
43478893-21CA-4E56-8CCA-7C041D44A697.jpeg

I ordered some packets to give it a try. It’s strange when you taste it dry it’s got a salty flavor At first then you get the citrus.

It tastes really good on avocado!

Anyone have other tricks or products for reducing salt in your diet?

I'm afraid not. Potassium chloride is bitter and awful. Cayenne in tiny amounts picks up the flavor. Angostura Bitters, oddly enough, was a flavor additive before it was used in mixed drinks. Try it.

Salt is addictive, no doubt about it. I followed a zero-salt diet for a few months. Now I take a diuretic. Screw that low-salt business.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
check the labels on EVERYTHING , I once ate a hot link each 1 had a 1000mg of salt. Once I got use to a low salt diet I can tell when the chef has been heavy handed with the salt and can truly taste the flavor of what I'm eating

For most people, the majority of their salt is coming from processed foods, not a salt shaker. Sometimes, the salt is coming from where you might not expect, like bread, crackers, cookies, snack foods, jarred pasta sauces, salsas, salad dressings, condiments, etc. Another huge source for some people is restaurant meals; most are heavily salted. If you want to really control your salt intake, try to do more of your own cooking from scratch with minimal prepared foods.

Well after a couple of weeks of watching my salt and reading labels I’ve also upped my exercise. I’m glad to say my efforts seem to be working in regards to my blood pressure! I believe the missing link that I needed was daily cardio. Luckily we live two blocks from a park we can hike at. A week of daily hikes above the suburbs and my numbers have come down!

I agree on the processed foods. I’ve been looking at labels of foods in our pantry and WOW. 😮

Anyways off for another hike in a few.
0AB8A7EE-937F-486B-9568-CA58C12C523C.jpeg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I don’t buy canned food....that’s where your salt is for the most part. The exception is tomato sauce and paste. For the last few years our supermarket has stocked brands with no salt added same for chicken broth. Ya know?....Let me decide about the salt content and amount not you.

Well after a couple of weeks of watching my salt and reading labels I’ve also upped my exercise. I’m glad to say my efforts seem to be working in regards to my blood pressure! I believe the missing link that I needed was daily cardio. Luckily we live two blocks from a park we can hike at. A week of daily hikes above the suburbs and my numbers have come down!

I agree on the processed foods. I’ve been looking at labels of foods in our pantry and WOW. 😮

View attachment 1198045
I’m glad to hear you’ve found the magic solution. Mine was to just reduce salt intake. I almost never salt anything at the table, and I try to stay away from the prepared foods unless the label shows them to be low on salt. The cardio doesn’t work for me. With my neuropathy, I can’t go very fast or I lose my balance and fall over. I’m definitely not a Weeble.

View attachment 1198045

Exercise and stress reduction will go a long ways.

My dad has high blood pressure but he also has a type A personality. The only time I was borderline was during a stressful period of my life. Cutting back on salt helped, but not nearly as much as getting away from stress.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I hate to be the one to say it, but just cut the salt. Don't add any (or add no more than a pinch to a pot), and read your labels. In time (less that you think), your palate will adjust.

The wife and my pallets have already started to adjust.She was slow to convert but is coming around. . Now we have something that’s salty and wow.

I made chicken stock a couple days ago and think that’s what we will have to do. No more store bought. reading labels is pretty eye opening and a little depressing. 😄

Im hiking every day and we are going to order a rowing machine for me to use when the weather is bad. Luckily her work will pay for any exercise equipment up to $400.

thanks for all the positive responses

Great that you go to the dr., & more importantly, you have heeded his advice. I'm glad you're adjusting to lower salt. I started reducing my salt intake many years ago, but we have to pay attention to what is added in the processed foods. Best of luck & enjoy your hikes!

I've found hot sauces helped me to reduce my salt intake. Yes, a hot sauce still has salt in it, but less salt then if I had just salted the food instead.

I've always been a very avid athlete who has eaten very nutritiously since high school. Lots of organic and natural foods, juice veggies 3X a week, enjoy a good meat dish or steak once in a while, balanced diet. Even with regular high altitude mountaineering and distance cycling, in 2011 my BP exploded to 185/110 and the Docs could not figure it out. Well, I finally did!

Too many business lunches and some dinners, RESTAURANT COOKING! Japanese, Thai, Greek, Vietnamese, Chinese, Middle Eastern, Mexican, Ethnic, etc. They add unbelievable amounts of salt to their foods, to bring out the flavor profile. My body was getting way too much sodium!

I'm a very good cook and my GF is too. I've always used Maldon and other natural salts like Celtics and Himalayan at home, but sparingly. If you buy better quality veggies, foods, you usually do not need extra salt to improve the flavor. I also use a lot of local Southwest Chimayo Red Chile powder and good spices to add to the flavor of the foods. With a diuretic and a BP Med, and a lot of exercise, even with a long family history of very high BP, my numbers have dropped well into the normal range. This took effort!

I know this might sound 'going against the grain', but stay away from regular visits to restaurants, watch your processed foods, canned soups, too much pizza... and add only the amount of good salt needed for a dish! There's nothing wrong with an occasional indulgent meal... just be aware and... most of all, exercise!

Stay healthy and eat good foods! Enjoy!

This morning I was 124/77! I was pretty happy with that. Got my wife to hike yesterday and this morning. I use to be really super picky about food. My garden had fell in disrepair but I plan on building new raised beds to grow vegetables more efficiently. 2020 has been crazy but the silver lining is getting back to healthy habits.

happy holidays everyone

I found shrirach is lower in salt than some hot sauces. korea chili powder has zero salt! so much flavor in that chili powder you don’t even miss the salt.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I found shrirach is lower in salt than some hot sauces. korea chili powder has zero salt! so much flavor in that chili powder you don’t even miss the salt.

I make Szechuan chili oil and keep that handy. The recipe I have calls for salt, but it's very easy to cut back on it or eliminate it altogether. It's only there as a seasoning.

I watch salt intake carefully, avoid most processed food, eat lots of fresh stuff, steamed vegetables, etc. One hint: I like a sprinkle of salt on some dishes, and I always use Malden Sea Salt. It tastes much saltier than regular salts, so I use just a pinch; no added chemicals. I think it's called a finishing salt, in culinary circles.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
It's hard but you can wean yourself off salt. During my extended Asia trips, it happens for me. Those first tortilla chips when I get home taste like they are coated in salt!

Top Bottom