What's new

Redness and irritation around neck

Hello. Does anyone have any recommendations or tips on how to deal with this redness around my neck (see pic)?

Everytime I shave this specific area around Adam’s apple it gets irritated for some reason. Everywhere else on my face it’s fine.

Is there any creams or technique or something to deal with it?

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 928856
How long do you allow the lather to sit? I've come to appreciate a well hyrated lather which is not a pretty as a dry later, but that does a better job. Try face lathering and walking back to the coffee pot for a refill, then return, rub in the existing lather and add more. Good, inexpensive soaps like Van Der Hagan Delux have good skin ingredients.

Use witch hazel post shave. It does not sting like AS.

I jaf bery simila issue. But l bought Reuzel shaving soap last week, give it a try. Works great for me. Even for ATG pass.

Try skipping the aftershave, or using it on your cheeks only. I have found that certain aftershaves and colognes do that if I use them on my neck. Try that for a week or two. You may be surprised.

I get similar red bumps/spots on the lower sides of my neck. I’ve always just noticed it and couldn’t get rid of it.
During a recent blade order I grabbed a couple tucks of Gillette Yellows. 3 Shaves with them and I did notice all the redness is completely gone. It might be a coincidence.

Try some different blades maybe to see what happens.

Yup try different blades and razors. I found smoother blades like personna Reds helped. Injectors helped even more, the Personna blades for those are really smooth.

And watch to see how the hairs grow in that area. Dollars to doughnuts the area where you get the big red spots they are growing in a different direction than your shaving direction. Try just two with the grain passes, when you can do that without orritirrit, graduate to a WTG XTG routine. But make sure the blade moves really slow anytime you are in that neighborhood.

Good luck, Jeremy

Hey Scarry, IIRC shaveworks is an acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin) based product. Acid based stuff is great for smoothing out bumps, getting ingrowns released, and reducing general inflammation from shaving. Pinaud Club Mend is a similar product.

They can help, be careful if you have sensitive skin as they are acid based. Some find the occasional use of needle nose tweezers for ingrowns, finding the right level of exfoliation for your face, and skin conditioning and moisturizing (so your shave is smoother in the first place) to be another approach that works.

All the best, JM

Thanks for those tips, Jer. I do exfoliate some. I suspect I might have suffered some phytotoxicicty from an orange oil product with subsequent sun exposure leading to the rashy bump or three. I have to not leave it on as long and rinse better to avoid the sun damage from it.

I may try wintergreen oil in a carrier oil formthis if it happnes agsin. It converts to the aspirin compound after it crosses the skin. How far in, I’m not sure. That might work for now rather than purchase something, but thanks for the Club Mend mention too. I need to avoid fragrances so home made is often a better choice for me, at least until I can sample those items mentioned.

Sorry to hear of the orange oil issue, that does not sound fun. I know shavers have been using ASA on bumps long before commercial products. Old timers would just take an Aspirin in two spoons, crush it to powder and add water to make a paste. Dab a bit on the red spot and go. Might be a cheap way to see if it is what you need.

Best wishes, JM

Hello,

I would try to shave in the evening after a warm shower. Always with the grain.

Take care
YouYou

Our hair is supposed to be more relaxed and softer after a night of sleep. Though I haven't really noticed much difference between my night or morning shaves, I do think a hot shower first helps.

How long do you allow the lather to sit? I've come to appreciate a well hyrated lather which is not a pretty as a dry later, but that does a better job. Try face lathering and walking back to the coffee pot for a refill, then return, rub in the existing lather and add more. Good, inexpensive soaps like Van Der Hagan Delux have good skin ingredients.

Use witch hazel post shave. It does not sting like AS.

I second the post shave witch hazel. I apply that and then my aftershave. Works really well to help the skin heal.

Top Bottom