What's new

Redness and irritation around neck

Hello. Does anyone have any recommendations or tips on how to deal with this redness around my neck (see pic)?

Everytime I shave this specific area around Adam’s apple it gets irritated for some reason. Everywhere else on my face it’s fine.

Is there any creams or technique or something to deal with it?

Thanks in advance.

DA3A8880-B548-4D6E-B61B-F46499E9A824.jpeg

Yup, I used to get the same thing on my neck also. What razor & blade are you using? You also might be using too much pressure or shaving too quickly. My blades include: GSB, Dorco Prime, Astra SP & Wilkinson Sword blades which work for me. I usually use my Marvel & Yuma & Gillette Tech razors. I have not had road rash in a long time now.

Using DE. Fresh Astra blade. Actually doesn’t matter what blade.

No, have not tried Alum block.

I recommend using a vitamin E oil. You can get it anywhere. Bump Stopper works pretty well, and that is in the shave section of many stores.

If you wanna really use good medicine, try adding Frankincense essential oil to some vitamin E oil. It's not cheap, but it's the best. Frankincense smells great, pairs well with aftershave, and will help heal those spots quickly.

Merkur Progress on setting 3 but doesn’t really matter because I get the same irritation using other ones. Soap is the green Proraso. Also using Proraso preshave cream.

My guess is that your Adam's Apple is creating an angle for shaving that is a no-win situation. You're cutting the hair too deeply there and you've got several ingrown hairs. Have you tried stretching the skin to one side, then shaving across it? You can also lock your throat in mid swallow and make the cartilage recede to the back of the throat. This will get rid of the sharp angle.

Merkur Progress on setting 3 but doesn’t really matter because I get the same irritation using other ones. Soap is the green Proraso. Also using Proraso preshave cream.
Also, for some people, Proraso does not create a great slickness. I got tons of irritation from it and will never use it again. Menthol can also inflame your pores. I know it's touted as being soothing to the skin, but for some it can be just the opposite.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
My guess is that the hairs are growing in different directions right around your Adam's Apple. Try running your fingertips over those hairs before shaving to determine which way is WTG and just do that simple pass, rather than trying to get BBS for now.

The Proraso soap does not give much protection & I quit using it. I will probably get Attacked by the Proraso Fan Boys on this but, so be it.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Another question...Did you have a problem in the same area before trying DE shaving? What where you using before? Cartridge? Canned goop?

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Well, IMO, if you're not getting irritation anywhere else and you are generally happy with the Proraso, it may just be a, like you say, a tricky area. Hopefully you figure it out, GL!

I had the same problem and found out that the hair in that area was growing up wtg and the rest of my neck hair was growing down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to experience the same and no thing seemed to work. What worked for me (ymmv alert):
- try to build the lather as creamy as possible and let it rest on your face a little bit before starting shaving.
- use cold water
- first pass wtg always (identify your grain path)
- stretch your skin out of the difficult angle area (but not extremely)
- alum block for the win

Also consider using a non alcoholic after shave. I use an alcoholic one tho but you know.

Top Bottom