What's new

Rediscovering the Progress

I shaved with the Progress (standard short-handle, with the cream-colored plastic adjustor knob) last night, for the first time in more than six months. It was a great experience, and one that I'm looking forward to repeating over the next couple weeks.

I put a 70s vintage Gillette Platinum Plus in it, which seemed to be a pretty good pairing. It's my favorite blade, so I knew a little about what to expect. The razor was set to "1".

What I didn't expect (even though I've shaved with it many times before) was that I got a CCS after one WTG pass. Awesome. Almost didn't need that second pass, but I pressed on.

The second pass gave me a BBS shave that's still wearing very well, twelve hours later.

I was reminded of the good auditory feedback that you get from the razor, how clog-free the design is, and how it rinses nice and clean. Easy to hold and maneuver, it's got a smooth handle, but not a slippery one.

All that said, I have a fairly unusual Progress in a number of ways:
- my Progress is Hoffritz-branded (stamped on the cap)
- the cap on my progress just doesn't fit in the standard "notch-to-arrow" configuration. I have the notch (on the side of the cap) on one side and the arrow (on the baseplate) on the opposite side. It just doesn't want to fit together when they're on the same side.
- there is a small slope in the blade gap on one side -- not enough to be noticeable at shave time, but it's there. My guess is that the razor was dropped at some point... which may also account for the inability to match "notch-to-arrow"

Those items kind of make me want a brand-new one, but the quality of the shave, despite these oddities says that I probably don't need it.

It was a great re-acquaintance, and encourages me to celebrate this razor with the group. If you have not tried one, or are on the fence about getting one as a current-production adjustable, take the plunge!

Hope it helps,
-- Chet

Last edited:
I just bought my 4th Progress yesterday (from a friend and B&B member)

It joins these 3 to fight for its turn on my face.....

proxy.php

Have the 2 on the left been customized with those knobs?

Presume the one on the right is an "Eric" mod Mergress with the long knob replacement. Love mine - really improved my original Progress which was pretty good before the mod. What's going on with the middle one? That looks great. How does the weight and balance compare to the Mergress? Who did the work?

The middle one is customized by Bob's razor works, right one is indeed a mergress

I sold my first progress away, wasn't impressed with it for some reason. Some time later I got a long handled progress and now it's one of my favs.

I didn't think about the clog free aspects of the progress till I read this post. There is a large space under the blade that makes rinsing out very easy on the progress.

The progress is my fav right now. was using my EJ and Futur for the last few weeks and went back to the progress this morning. Great shave!

I have the short handle non-mod version.

Progress must be a good choice. I bought mine three weeks ago and now can't shave without it. I read raves about the thing every time I log in here. Must be a good tool...I use the standard long handle version.

I just got my long-handled Progress and shaved with it twice. Super, I even love sound effects. I prematurely contacted Eric for a con-Mersion to a Mergress, but I don't want to part with it for two weeks. My appreciation of the Progress is greater than I expected. I've taken the Progress outside and started stalking elderly people on the street...sneakup and give them a DFS before they know what hit'em. :devil:

Last edited:
I was reminded of how nice the Merkur is when I used my bro's new DE 89 EJ Barley Chrome. The EJ is nice looking for sure, but the quality of shave wasn't where the Progress is.. at all.

Top Bottom