What's new

Rediscovering double edged shaving!

Hi from Holland, guys. Recently when I looked something up in the basement of my father, I stumbled upon the first razor that I ever used as as teenager: the Gillette G1000. This brought back fond memories, but also thoughts of bloody and skin bashing experiences. For nostalgy reasons I decided to take the razor with me and look it up on the internet.

And that was when I discovered the double edged shaving revival (although like the LP record it would never have vasnished).

I used the Gillette G1000 with a couple of new Gillette blue blades and was amazed by the smoothness and enjoyment of shaving as compared to 'Mach III'.

Only this morning, I inaugurated my new Parker 98R. A brutal beast (with a Gillette blue blade) as compared to the G1000! Although I enjoyed the closest shave EVER, I really must catch up on my technique with a real razor. The G1000 requires a lot of pressure and the Parker... probably doesn't... :biggrin1:

Despite the 'lawnmower' effect (despite extensive lathering and applying preshave shaving oil) my skin is fine and the experimenting with several types of blades can begin, as I received some sampler packs as well. With my experience this morning, I guess I will leave the Feather blades in their box for some time to come until I gain some experience!

Welcome. The old saying that practice makes perfect applies here. I agree that it's a good idea to leave the feather blades for later. They're not evil, but very unforgiving.

Welcome to B&B! Once I plunged into DE shaving, I tossed the carts and disposables and haven't looked back. Even when I get in too big a hurry and get irritation, it's still a better shave than the carts or disposables I was using prior.

Welcome back to the art of comfortable shaves!!

I don't know what blades you have, but both westcoastshaving.com/ and shoeboxshaveshop.com/ have an excellent selection of blades.

Enjoy your experimentation, and remember ... one of the toughest (bad) habits to break from years of cartridge razors is Don't apply any pressure to the razor! :thumbup1:

Welcome. The old saying that practice makes perfect applies here. I agree that it's a good idea to leave the feather blades for later. They're not evil, but very unforgiving.

I've only been DE shaving for about 9 months now and it wasn't until about a month or two ago that I decided to try a Feather blade. boy am I glad I waited. I got a great shave but I could certainly notice the difference in sharpness.

Top Bottom