What's new

Rediscovering an old pen.

I've been using this Sheaffer School Pen for the last couple of weeks. It's a 1990 version, which my spreadsheet says that I bought for $14.80 in 2011. That might have been a bit much, except that it had come in the original unopened blister pack. I used it for a while, tweaked the nib for practice, and then put it away when I started using higher end fountain pens.

But I've been a bit bored, for reasons that may occur to you. Oh, I'm still working, "essential" it seems, but this lockdown does rather restrict one's options. I'm drawing more and more, but writing about the same amount. Still, I started looking through my old pens and decided to give this one another try. I'd bought a converter for it, but popped an old Sheaffer Blue-Black cartridge in it instead, as it was just lying around.

It's rather amazing how nice this pen is. The nib is extremely smooth, and not too fine, "too medium", or too broad. The ink I've chosen is nothing special, but that's not the pen's fault. The section has two flat areas, making it a little bit like the grip on a Lamy Safari, which is neither a plus nor a minus for me.

Actually, I have five pens inked now, not counting the Esterbrook Dip-Less desk pen and a number of Pilot Varsities lying around. I think I'll keep popping cartridges into this Sheaffer for a while, but have been looking through my cases for some other long unused pen to bring back into service.
20200428_205108.jpg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I've been using this Sheaffer School Pen for the last couple of weeks. It's a 1990 version, which my spreadsheet says that I bought for $14.80 in 2011.

I bought a bunch of those new back around 2005 to give away to my nieces and students I was tutoring. I think you got lucky on the smoothness, several of mine (fine points, I think) were awfully scratchy and needed a little TLC.

I remember the blue color being lovely.

1588340388954.png

I've rediscovered a few pens these past few weeks, too!

Top Bottom