What's new

Red Wings after 13 Years of Hard Wear

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I really liked a pair of Iron Rangers but they are way too expensive for me to wear them to the ranch like I do the Irish Stters.
E15ED75B-AAD0-4EE9-BB2D-FA0F29E45FED.jpeg

4F7846B5-D95F-4D7B-9267-66FF08410B36.jpeg

Just picked up my boots from Red Wing. They cleaned and conditioned the boots and put on new laces, as usual. However, they told me that certain parts are starting to wear out, particularly around the instep and gussets. They also suspect that the previous repairs on one of the boots will eventually fail from age and hard use.

I believe what they say, because these boots have certainly had a hard life, and I'm not a cheapskate when it comes to my work boots, but also wonder if there's a bit of salesmanship going on.

Anyway, I asked what I should do to maintain them until I decide whether to buy new boots or not. They recommended that I limit the boots to light usage or relegate them to "walking-around" duty. But, if I insist on subjecting them to heavy usage, then I should oil them more frequently (with a thicker product than usual, if desired) and try not to flex the insteps too much. That last thing seems unrealistic; just walking around makes them flex.

I brought them home and pondered what to do. Since I still have the Pierre Paris/Dayton boots, I've decided to relegate the Red Wings to light usage. For example, digging in the vegetable garden or mowing the lawn. Frankly, they've earned their rest after 30 years of stomping around in the bushes.

However, I still heeded the store's advice about more frequent maintenance, so I gave the bottom halves a brushing and applied a coating of heavy logger's wax oil like they recommended. I forgot to take a photo before oiling them. That's unfortunate because they looked pretty spiffy after the professional cleaning. Here's an after photo ...

proxy.php

The wax oil makes the leather a lot darker and really makes all the surface flaws pop out. I put the old laces back on since they're still in good shape.

I just noticed that the boots in this photo are in almost the exact same position as my earlier photo (in post #2). The only obvious difference is the change in the leather's colour. Kinda spooky. :001_tongu

Anyway, I'm in no hurry to buy new boots. In the meantime, I'll use the Red Wings for light duty stuff and the Daytons (and others) for work. I'll probably post about it here when I decide what to do.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Just picked up my boots from Red Wing. They cleaned and conditioned the boots and put on new laces, as usual. However, they told me that certain parts are starting to wear out, particularly around the instep and gussets. They also suspect that the previous repairs on one of the boots will eventually fail from age and hard use.

I believe what they say, because these boots have certainly had a hard life, and I'm not a cheapskate when it comes to my work boots, but also wonder if there's a bit of salesmanship going on.

Anyway, I asked what I should do to maintain them until I decide whether to buy new boots or not. They recommended that I limit the boots to light usage or relegate them to "walking-around" duty. But, if I insist on subjecting them to heavy usage, then I should oil them more frequently (with a thicker product than usual, if desired) and try not to flex the insteps too much. That last thing seems unrealistic; just walking around makes them flex.

I brought them home and pondered what to do. Since I still have the Pierre Paris/Dayton boots, I've decided to relegate the Red Wings to light usage. For example, digging in the vegetable garden or mowing the lawn. Frankly, they've earned their rest after 30 years of stomping around in the bushes.

However, I still heeded the store's advice about more frequent maintenance, so I gave the bottom halves a brushing and applied a coating of heavy logger's wax oil like they recommended. I forgot to take a photo before oiling them. That's unfortunate because they looked pretty spiffy after the professional cleaning. Here's an after photo ...

proxy.php

The wax oil makes the leather a lot darker and really makes all the surface flaws pop out. I put the old laces back on since they're still in good shape.

I just noticed that the boots in this photo are in almost the exact same position as my earlier photo (in post #2). The only obvious difference is the change in the leather's colour. Kinda spooky. :001_tongu

Anyway, I'm in no hurry to buy new boots. In the meantime, I'll use the Red Wings for light duty stuff and the Daytons (and others) for work. I'll probably post about it here when I decide what to do.
Those almost look like well worn combat boots!

Those almost look like well worn combat boots!
I think this is where I'm supposed to say something like "They've certainly been through the wars!"

But, yeah, I think it's finally time to let them fade away like an old soldier, so to speak. They're still the most comfortable footwear that I've ever owned, though, so I'll baby them like the store suggested. Then, they can live out their days, walking on soft grass and puttering around in the garden. :001_smile

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I think this is where I'm supposed to say something like "They've certainly been through the wars!"

But, yeah, I think it's finally time to let them fade away like an old soldier, so to speak. They're still the most comfortable footwear that I've ever owned, though, so I'll baby them like the store suggested. Then, they can live out their days, walking on soft grass and puttering around in the garden. :001_smile
If they are that comfortable I'm wearing them for slippers!

Would those 1155s be classed a cowboy boot? They look like one. The new ones anyway.
Technically, Red Wing refers to their line of pull-on, tall-shaft boots as "Western-style pull-on boots". In my local store, I've heard them referred to as "farm boots" or "ranch boots", so I suspect that some people actually use them for cowboy activities (such as equestrian use). Therefore, in my opinion, they are cowboy boots.

They're missing some traditional cowboy boot features, though, such as a smooth leather sole and a stacked leather heel. All of Red Wing's western boots have what would be considered "work boot" soles (from lightly-textured nitrile cork to heavy-lug Vibram) and rubber heels.

However, in my mind, those are bonuses. I have work boots with leather soles and stacked heels (such as my Pierre Paris/Dayton loggers) and they require extra care. The rubber soles/heels on my Red Wing boots require no special care, at all.

I just dropped off my 877s for their second re-sole. The date on the tag is Dec 2006, and they just keep getting better and better.

Attachments

• 877s.jpg
    877s.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 27
I really liked a pair of Iron Rangers but they are way too expensive for me to wear them to the ranch like I do the Irish Stters.
View attachment 1034782
View attachment 1034783

So.... I'm going to be the heretic here. The heritage boots; iron rangers, 1000 mile, indy's etc may have been excellent work boots back in the day but truth be told, I suspect your Irish Setter's are the better boots for actually working in them with modern orthopedic footbeds and glued/fused construction.

This is not necessarily a knock on the heritage boots. I think they're still great now fall in the causual boot category. There are much better options for the wilderness firefighter, linemen, logger, carpenter, etc would want to spend an entire day, on their feet, in their boots.

So I wouldn't purchase these for work. Especially when White's have their NFPA certified boots for $279.

So.... I'm going to be the heretic here. The heritage boots; iron rangers, 1000 mile, indy's etc may have been excellent work boots back in the day but truth be told, I suspect your Irish Setter's are the better boots for actually working in them with modern orthopedic footbeds and glued/fused construction.

This is not necessarily a knock on the heritage boots. I think they're still great now fall in the causual boot category. There are much better options for the wilderness firefighter, linemen, logger, carpenter, etc would want to spend an entire day, on their feet, in their boots.

So I wouldn't purchase these for work. Especially when White's have their NFPA certified boots for $279.

No heresy, just truth.

Even Red Wing salesmen feel this way. In my local store, I've seen many customers steered to either the work boot or Irish Setter section if their stated usage dictates it. Meanwhile, customers looking for a more casual or fashion-conscious shoe are invariably steered towards the Heritage section.

As you said, it has to do with the way that the boots are constructed. Heritage boots are still made the same way as they were almost a century ago, even using the original pattern-cutters and other machines from that period. Meanwhile, work boots and Irish Setters are made using modern technology and features that are designed for hard usage.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
That’s my issue. I would plan to wear them casual but if I need to leave for the ranch or get in the mud I don’t stop to change. I just go.
Just like my knives and weapons. They were all purchased to be used. No safe queens in my house

That’s my issue. I would plan to wear them casual but if I need to leave for the ranch or get in the mud I don’t stop to change. I just go.
Just like my knives and weapons. They were all purchased to be used. No safe queens in my house
You'd be okay with Iron Rangers for ranch duty. They have a work boot pedigree, albeit built to standards that are almost 100 years old.

However, because of that old style construction method, they really shouldn't be worn non-stop in tough conditions. For example, if you continually let them get soaked through, but don't allow them to dry out before wearing them again, then the leather insoles will eventually rot out and the soles will fall off. Red Wing will refuse to repair Iron Rangers if the insole is rotten or cracked because there's no way to re-nail a sole or heel to it.

The obvious (and impractical) solution is to buy two pairs. Wear one while the other dries out. I'm sure that Red Wing would love for everyone to buy multiple pairs of Iron Rangers!

On the other hand, as eelhc said, it's probably better to go with Irish Setters and you'd never have to worry about it. Irish Setters may not be as stylish, but they're tougher and more affordable.

In 3 months these Red Wings will be 5 years old! I just finished giving them a saddle soap treatment and some fresh boot oil. I give them the saddle soap/boot oil treatment twice a year. (About every 6 months.) These Iron Rangers are for everyday casual wear and see nearly daily use for most of the year. They get a break during the summer months but I wear them in the summer as well now and then. They don't see a lot of work/outdoorsy type conditions other than maybe yard work or futzing around in the garage. I once wore a pair of New Balance sneakers for 8 years and they still looked OK when I retired them because the soles were so worn down. If I can make a sneaker last that long, these Iron Rangers should easily last me decades! I'll re-sole them when they wear down more but I don't even see that happening for many years.

IMG_3053.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom