What's new

Red Wings after 13 Years of Hard Wear

You can get nice Redwing work boots that have replaceable insoles that also have the vibram like supersoles and are recraftable. I do a lot of outdoor work and I will always get boots with sewn on soles. They are also cheaper than the heritage line, which I agree are more fashionable these days. I believe the soles are sourced overseas so the boots are classified as made in USA with foreign materials or something but the leather and sewing is from their own tannery. Model 2212 I believe.

I live by a Redwing store and can try them on. I wish there was a White’s Boot store close so I could try them on. Work boots are one item I really like to try on in a store.

They are wellingtons or ropers depending on where you are according to my redwing store salesman.

I grew up in rural Alberta; you either wore walking or riding heels; the rest of the boot - pull on, lace up, pointy or round toe didn't matter.

I got a pair of Iron Ranger 8111 (Amber Harness) for Christmas. Beautiful fit--the first pair of heavy duty boots (including lots of Moc toe Red Wings that I wore when I was younger) I've owned that felt like they were already broken in. Looking forward to wearing these forever.

Picked a pair of Iron Rangers in Charcoal Rough and Tough (#8086 the day after Xmas using a gift card to take the edge off. Then measured me as a 12 C/D. Put me in a pair of 11Ds. I have worn them daily since the 26 and they are braking in nicely wearing both a mid weight merino wool sock from Costco and the Windsor merino dress sock from Gold Toe.

I did add a set of plastic shoe taps to the heals as I supinate wearing the outboard area of my heel a bit.

To echo above; if you’re using your boots for “real work” the work lines are a better choice than the Heritage. The Heritage boots (I have Iron Rangers / Beckmans) are great for office / casual work type of environments; comfortable, durable and something that can be “dressed up” if needed. The Iron Rangers in particular aren’t terribly waterproof or slip resistant - Iron Rangers on icy days lead to high comedy.

On the other hand, the steel toe SuperSoles that I bought with a work reimbursement seem almost indestructible. Like wearing tanks compared to the Heritage boots,but are really comfortable forlong periods of walking / standing and are fantastically waterproof and slip resistant.

I did union ironwork for 20 years, from the late '60s to the late '80s. For structural steel erection Red Wings were the boot of choice. A lot of guys liked the Irish Setters. Mainly whichever style, a one piece wedge sole was the ticket. A nail on heel can catch on a flange, the wedge soles made getting around on the iron easier. Back then the whole line was USA made. Great boots.

Top Bottom