What's new

Red Wing moc toes (875 etc.), which ones?

Hi gents, I am interested in buying me my first RW boots, and I like the looks of the 875 (or its many variations) or the 1907. Unfortunately, i have to buy them online, so I can't really examine and try them on...

So that in mind, I've read that you need to pick a full size smaller than your regular size? In my case that would be 43 EU size, so I should pick 42, or would half size smaller be ok? Based on photos, it would appear that the 1907 has a little 'softer' or relaxed shape, if you compare them with the 875? Especially around the tip of the shoe, and above the ankle, which both look a little rounded and shaped than 1907. Would that impression be accurate?

Which color would you pick of the 875 etc. family? How do you treat and care for them?

I considered something from the 875 or 1907 family but what ultimately turned me from them were the light colored soles. I wished they came in a color that more closely matched the leather. I ended up buying a pair of Iron Rangers and I like them a lot. I had the luxury of actually going into a Red Wing store and trying the boots on. I wear a size 12. I tried on a size 11 in Red Wings and they were way too tight. The 11-1/2 in Red Wings were snug and stiff but I knew there was a break-in period and that they would loosen up. I would recommend only going down a half size. I think the Red Wing site itself says that most customers buy a half size smaller. For me, it took a couple of months for my boots to break in. It took quite a while for a crease to form and soften in the toe cap so it was pinching the top of one of my big toes for a while. As far as care, I just apply Red Wing boot oil 2x a year.

Thanks mikelz777. I don't mind the light color of the soles, in fact I like it. I know plenty of people swear by IRs. Your recommendation of half size smaller seems good to me, especially for winter time when I'd probably wear a thick boot socks with these boots?

I've read that the break in period is indeed a long one, and the boots may feel unconfortable during that time, but when they settle to your feet, they will be very comfortable? All this makes me wish I could go and try them on personally before purchase... but I can always return them of course. I've had decent luck with 'remote' footwear purchases up until I bought a pair of Sketchers which were labeled as 'loose fit'. So they were about half a size too big.

The Red Wing company themselves say that most customers buy a half-size smaller. There's no way I would have been able to make a full-size smaller work for me. I've never worn a heavy boot sock with my boots but I wore a medium weight sock when I was breaking them in and occasionally afterwards. After the break-in period (where they are a bit uncomfortable in places) they do form nicely to your foot. Mine now are neither snug or loose, they're very comfortable. At first I really balked at the price, I've never spent so much on a pair of footwear before. I look at it as an investment. I don't wear them as a work boot so they could easily last me decades with proper care.

All this talk kind of has me wanting to buy a pair of their chukka boots. I actually live about an hour away from their factory in Red Wing, MN. They have an annual tent sale each year where you can buy Red Wings at a discount. I've never been yet. I guess I've been skeptical that they'd be selling what I wanted in my size.

I buy the same size I normally wear, but I have to wear thick wool socks with them. I bought my RW for work. I also felt good at 1/2 size smaller with regular boot socks. I like the roughneck 2942 boots. I tried on a pair at a RW store, but went with a steel toe instead. It was quite comfortable.

The 1907 I recently purchased have an insert. It made my size too tight. At a half size larger they are now very comfortable. They are still softening up a bit and I'm sure will end up being looser. These are being abused daily I really think I want a weekend pair. And the iron rangers are just awesome looking. Good luck

Hm, yes I read on another forum someone saying that the 1907 and 875 are on a different last, and they said to buy true to your size if selecting the 1907 model? But for example, the RW UK store recommends a half size smaller. This is pretty vexing... informations seems a bit conflicting between the store and user experiences?

Sorry Dick, this is a language thing for me, what's an insert? Is it the same as a 'footbed' or 'insole'?

@mikelz, there appears to be at least a couple of moc toe styles with dark soles too, if those would be more to your taste?

Yes insole. After time I'm sure it will wear out and I will take it out. At that point the boot will fit loose. I work in construction so they get wet and well worn. I'm counting on the laces to tighten them up at that point. These boots are very nice to also just wear for fashion. That's why I think o will get a weekend pair as well. Not too soon though because of the price.

I have a pair of RedWing Beckman oxfords (no longer on their website). Great shoes!!

My approach was to get our local Nordstrom’s to measure my feet, then special order the shoes. They fit perfectly! However, if there was any problem, Nordstroms would have gladly have exchanged them.

A similar approach with one of your local merchants may work well.

Well, I ordered a pair of 1907, down half a size from my regular fit. Let's see how it goes, I can return them easily enough, if they don't fit.

Ok, I am now wearing the 1907s, trying them on... I have boot socks on, not crazy thick but robust, and the boots feel a bit tight at the 'chest' -what's that in English, I mean the spot where the lacing starts pretty much?

There's enough wiggle room for my toes, and at the toes the boots feel pretty good. What is more, when I remove the insole, they feel pretty much spot on, the last seems good, even without breaking in. Hm, did I hit the sweet spot?:001_302: Hard to say, because these are my first pair of RW ever. What do you guys with more experience reckon?

Man these are stiff straight from the box! I expect they will soften with hard wear soon enough? The leather looks real nice, but it has this 'natural' look which would seem to scuff easily? Might be wrong about that... I got two tins of shoe care products with the boots, RW 'Leather Cream' and 'All Natural Conditioner'. I've read the the latter tends to darker the leather considerably at least temporarily? Should I give these a coat of the Leather Cream, if decide to keep them?

Heavy use will scuff and cleaning with a rag will pull color a little. Each time I condition they seem like an old baseball glove. Mine get muddy daily so not big on keeping the new look.

Ok, I am now wearing the 1907s, trying them on... I have boot socks on, not crazy thick but robust, and the boots feel a bit tight at the 'chest' -what's that in English, I mean the spot where the lacing starts pretty much?

There's enough wiggle room for my toes, and at the toes the boots feel pretty good. What is more, when I remove the insole, they feel pretty much spot on, the last seems good, even without breaking in. Hm, did I hit the sweet spot?:001_302: Hard to say, because these are my first pair of RW ever. What do you guys with more experience reckon?

Man these are stiff straight from the box! I expect they will soften with hard wear soon enough? The leather looks real nice, but it has this 'natural' look which would seem to scuff easily? Might be wrong about that... I got two tins of shoe care products with the boots, RW 'Leather Cream' and 'All Natural Conditioner'. I've read the the latter tends to darker the leather considerably at least temporarily? Should I give these a coat of the Leather Cream, if decide to keep them?
Red Wings require a lot of break in but they last forever. They usually become my most favorite footwear for working. I wouldn’t try keeping them mint, they are best worn and used. I oil mine every 2 or 3 months. Like Dick said, they feel like an old ball mitt when broken in.

Top Bottom