What's new

++ Red Tip

Hi. I know this has been discussed (at least I think I've seen it discussed) but searching for "+ + Red Tip" only seems to provide me with a lot of links to Red Tip discussions but nothing on the + + (short of going through 20 pages of referenced threads).

Can anyone remind me as to the significance of the + + on the underside of a Red Tip? (and I guess a similar question to the O O -- not date code -- on the underside of a Blue Tip).

It may not be "significant", but given that I cannot remember, any refresher would be appreciated.

Thanks

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
The English equivalent razors do not bear those marks but instead have a I, II, or III to indicate the relative aggression with the Red Tip having a III. Presumably the ++ symbols indicates something similar on US models. I believe the English Red Tip has a larger blade gap than the US version, and English Gillette razors do not have date codes as far as I know. I am no expert and could be totally wrong and have long since sold my Red Tip razors. 👍

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
The English equivalent razors do not bear those marks but instead have a I, II, or III to indicate the relative aggression with the Red Tip having a III. Presumably the ++ symbols indicates something similar on US models. I believe the English Red Tip has a larger blade gap than the US version, and English Gillette razors do not have date codes as far as I know. I am no expert and could be totally wrong and have long since sold my Red Tip razors. 👍
Spot on!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The change occurred mid-year 1957 when the baseplates were stamped with the pluses, earlier models weren't -- possibly to help identify parts in the factory's manufacturing process.

Hi. I know this has been discussed (at least I think I've seen it discussed) but searching for "+ + Red Tip" only seems to provide me with a lot of links to Red Tip discussions but nothing on the + + (short of going through 20 pages of referenced threads).

Can anyone remind me as to the significance of the + + on the underside of a Red Tip? (and I guess a similar question to the O O -- not date code -- on the underside of a Blue Tip).

It may not be "significant", but given that I cannot remember, any refresher would be appreciated.

Thanks

You might be looking at it from the wrong orientation -- rotate the razor 45 degrees and it becomes clearer... the red tip kisses your face (xx), whereas the blue tip hugs it (oo). It's just a subtle message from the Gillette razor company letting you know they care.

Top Bottom