What's new

Red tip is as aggressive as

I am just starting out shaving with a Fat Boy and am enjoying it. I also purchased a Red Tip and an Aristocrat. My question is.. Is there a setting on the Fat Boy that is roughly equivalent to the Red Tip and the Aristocrat? Or is the Red tip more aggressive than the Fat Boy set on 10? Thanks in advance,

R

rainman

While this chart is an interesting piece of literature, it mentions a gillette adjustable on 7 is more agressive than a merkur progress on 5. This is very far from the truth. There is more to it than blade gap. I would rate the Red Tip closer to a 7 on your fat boy. The aristocrat I would rate a 5 on your fat boy. The angle curvature and weight of the razor also play a role.

I am just starting out shaving with a Fat Boy and am enjoying it. I also purchased a Red Tip and an Aristocrat. My question is.. Is there a setting on the Fat Boy that is roughly equivalent to the Red Tip and the Aristocrat? Or is the Red tip more aggressive than the Fat Boy set on 10? Thanks in advance,

Having shaved with all of these, I think that the 'Crat and Red-Tip are approximately a '6' on the Fatboy. I don't know if that meshes with the chart, and others may be along to dispute my opinion, but I came to this opinion over some time and usage of these razors.

-- John Gehman

While this chart is an interesting piece of literature, it mentions a gillette adjustable on 7 is more agressive than a merkur progress on 5. This is very far from the truth. There is more to it than blade gap. I would rate the Red Tip closer to a 7 on your fat boy. The aristocrat I would rate a 5 on your fat boy. The angle curvature and weight of the razor also play a role.

...and as soon as you get out your kitchen scales and a protractor and measure all your razors, we will be able to use more than one variable to categorize aggressiveness. How about lighting a candle rather than cursing the darkness? I've asked for people to weigh their razors and update the wiki several times.

It would also be nice to use a USB microscope or a camera with a bellows and a macro lens to measure the length of the blade's overhang beyond the tangent to the curve of the razor head, as this measure of aggressiveness is wholly independent of razor weight or blade gap. Any takers?

R

rainman

...and as soon as you get out your kitchen scales and a protractor and measure all your razors, we will be able to use more than one variable to categorize aggressiveness. How about lighting a candle rather than cursing the darkness? I've asked for people to weigh their razors and update the wiki several times.

It would also be nice to use a USB microscope or a camera with a bellows and a macro lens to measure the length of the blade's overhang beyond the tangent to the curve of the razor head, as this measure of aggressiveness is wholly independent of razor weight or blade gap. Any takers?

Sorry soapbox, I know while it should have blade angle and blade exposure, additional to the weight and blade gap, I should not complain as I have contributed nothing to it. Just don't want people to use it as law when buying razors.

Very good information. Thank you :biggrin:

I was a little hesitant to try the red tip after hearing how aggressive it is. Now I have something to compare it to.

Last edited:
Fat Boy at 5 or 6 or maybe even a 7 seems to match my Red Tip and '48 Aristocrat. The 'crat is one of my very favorite shavers!

I have added a column to the wiki table for Aggressiveness. It now includes a column for weight. Blade exposure will be more difficult to measure, as will the angle of the blade as it (ideally) contacts the shaving surface. However, weighing your razor (without a blade in it, please) is easy and everyone who has a postal scale or kitchen scale can do it.

If your measurements of the weight of a given razor are more than one or two grams different from a listed value, please add your results and comments to the Discussion page for this wiki article.

Having shaved with all of these, I think that the 'Crat and Red-Tip are approximately a '6' on the Fatboy. I don't know if that meshes with the chart, and others may be along to dispute my opinion, but I came to this opinion over some time and usage of these razors.

-- John Gehman

This is my impression, as well. I feel little difference between an Aristocrat and a Red Tip.

To take this conversation a bit further, how does the agressiveness of the Red Tip stack up against an HD? On the chart the HD is a little more agressive, but what do you guys think?

To take this conversation a bit further, how does the agressiveness of the Red Tip stack up against an HD? On the chart the HD is a little more agressive, but what do you guys think?

Don't know. I have no desire to try an HD when there are so many quality vintage Gillettes available.

Top Bottom