What's new

Red tip has a bit of play

I have a red tip that has what I believe is too much play to be put into use. If I push/pull on the twisty red knob it causes the doors to move up and down which I don't think would make for a great shave.

I'm mainly looking to confirm my suspicions. I've read a few places on ways to break it down but I'm not totally sure that I want to mess with it. I'll probably have some extra time on my hands here in the next few weeks so maybe I'll get around to it.

Attachments

• 20191227_231252.jpg
    20191227_231252.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 20191227_231249.jpg
    20191227_231249.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 32
R

romsitsa

Hello, turning the knob pulls down the head assembly (center rod, T-bar, doors), so what you describe is seemingly impossible. The razor either can’t have play when closed or is not tightened down.

Adam

I was mistaken - the lower part moves up and down, the doors stay put. The mechanism is very gritty and squeaky - I tighten it as much as tight as I can but it still has vertical movement.

Here's a quick gif file - not sure if the link will actually work though...

R

romsitsa

Hello, the gif is fine, thank you. I’d say the thread of the center rod is gunked up and the nut (flare tip) can’t thread onto it all the way it should. As the razor is basically a large screw, it should tighten together without any movement.

As a first step, try to soak it in hot water/diswashing detergent and repeatedly open-close the mechanism.

Adam

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I would do what Adam suggested. Give it a few soaks in dish washing detergent and work the razor open and close to free it up.

Hello, the gif is fine, thank you. I’d say the thread of the center rod is gunked up and the nut (flare tip) can’t thread onto it all the way it should. As the razor is basically a large screw, it should tighten together without any movement.

As a first step, try to soak it in hot water/diswashing detergent and repeatedly open-close the mechanism.

Adam

+2! Great advice!! My bet is that plenty of soap and water will fix the problem.

+2! Great advice!! My bet is that plenty of soap and water will fix the problem.

I spent most of the day outside yesterday but I did let it soak 1x in hot water + soap. No change (other than the squeakyness being gone but that's probably just temporary). I'll give it a few more soaks today and tomorrow.

R

romsitsa

Move it between soaks. If nothing changes, penetrating oil and move it more. If still nothing, remove the bottom screw, fold back the small wings on the bottom of the T-bar (don't fold them back as they are prone to crack) and disassemble the razor.

Adam

Does it have any play when it has a blade loaded

Thats a great question (aside from the ALL CAPS which I fixed for you). I've done a hot soapy bath a couple of times and it does seem to be getting tighter. I'll do a couple more and it should be good to go.

Thats a great question (aside from the ALL CAPS which I fixed for you). I've done a hot soapy bath a couple of times and it does seem to be getting tighter. I'll do a couple more and it should be good to go.
its like murphy said to me years ago in an email when I was getting him to work on a razor for me, the razor will react differently to outside stimulation when it hAS a blade compared to when it wont. you only need to worry about it when it has a blade installed.

R

romsitsa

A Gillette TTO will tighten down, if it works. It's irrelevant if a blade is loaded or not.

Adam

Yesterday's soak left it in great shape. Today I'll find some oil to drop in and it should be good to go.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
My Gillette Regent Tech had a similar issue, but the more I cleaned it the worse it became. I dont think yours has the same problem however, and I agree with Adam above.

If on the other hand, it does become worse at some point, its a pretty simple fix once you understand how and the razor doesnt need to come apart to fix it.

Thanks!

Too that bump. I thought I'd add the video that explains how to fix the knob dropping issue. Its a very easy fix once understood and I fixed mine in a matter of minutes.

R

romsitsa

Yesterday's soak left it in great shape. Today I'll find some oil to drop in and it should be good to go.

I wouldn’t recommend oil at this stage. The thread works now (nice) but there could be much more gunk left inside. This, combined with the oil will produce a paste that can grind down the inside.
Without the oil the worst thing that can happen is that the razor “squeaks”, this means it’s clean.

Adam

Top Bottom