What's new

Red neck spots?

Not raised, no pain, just red spots. Ingrown hairs? I don't really know what that means. I think I've always have had this issue on my neck, but I never really paid attention until I switched to DE.

I've used Derbys and switched to Feathers, no real change, except the Feathers let you know when you are ready for a new one.

I've been using AOS Lavender cream, because I enjoy the aroma. I have some DR Harris, I don't know that it behaved any differently.

I'm using a Merkur barber pole. I've been thinking about an 11c for the open comb and shorter handle.

What do you think I can do to lose the spots?

What do you think I can do to lose the spots?
Could be that you just need to to give your neck some time to adjust. I noticed that this particular area took the longest to adjust to the DE switch, which wasn't really an issue elsewhere. Although there were certain other reasons (Keep reading).

The other thing it could be is that maybe the maybe the grain of the hair in this area isn't growing how you think it is. It tends to be a tricky area to map or is at least cited as such on the boards. All I know is that it made a huge difference after I figured out a majority of the hairs were growing S to N, instead of N to S on the majority of my face. :biggrin:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
It can be the shaving cream also (allergy). I would give it some time and then try another cream/soap.

It can be the shaving cream also (allergy). I would give it some time and then try another cream/soap.

Could be, but it sounds like its more along his neck than anywhere else. An allergy would most likely affect his entire face, or am I overthinking this?

I was hopint that this was going to be a thread about Noodling catfish or wrestling alligators or kicking cow tihs. But since it isn't I say it is a possible issue with either an allergy, or your technique.

I was hopint that this was going to be a thread about Noodling catfish or wrestling alligators or kicking cow tihs. But since it isn't I say it is a possible issue with either an allergy, or your technique.

:lol::lol::lol: I have seen my share of redneck spots where I live :biggrin:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Could be, but it sounds like its more along his neck than anywhere else. An allergy would most likely affect his entire face, or am I overthinking this?

Agreed. However, I get red spots on my neck when I use Fax icy lemon shaving cream. It's the only cream that does it. I am not getting any red spots anywhere else. However, I agree that technique and time might help before changing anything.

Most likely a technique issue, in particular too much pressure combined with going ATG/XTG too early. I had the same issue for months and couldn't work out why. I had to let my beard grow out for a few days and then map my neck - quite a surprise what those whiskers do down there! I assumed mine grew S-N, turns out they go S-NW and NE so when I thought I was going WTG I was actualy going XTG on th first pass. That sorted 85% of the issue and making a concious effort not to apply ANY pressure did the rest.

I thought I could come into this thread and make a clever red neck joke, to find out that EVERYONE beat me to it :tongue_sm

Some guys will suggest just shaving from N-S everywhere. But I have thick curly hair and i use to get a lot of ingrowns on my neck. Now I am very cautious about going with the grain all the time for the first pass. Neck hair goes in all kinds of weird directions. Let it grow back for a couple days and really examine the grain direction. This will also give your neck some time to relax.

Top Bottom