What's new

Red Imp Restoration PIF

I'm relatively new to straights (going on 3 months) which means of course I jumped into honing and have been buying cheapies on fleaBay to practice on. This Red Imp was one of my first acquisitions and I have to consider it my prime learning experience. When it arrived I noticed the chip in the toe. (Yes, it was visible in the pictures but I didn't notice until I checked more closely after it arrived. Hence my classification as a learning experience.)

Upon further scrutiny, the spacer is partially split because the toe actually lands on the spacer instead of clearing it to fit between the scales. My guess is that at some point (no pun intended) the blade lodged, had some lateral torque applied and, ... ping!

The blade and spine have some significant corrosion as well, but the remainder of the edge is pretty sharp so I assume it will take an edge.

I'm not yet to the point of wanting to try a restoration, and I was recently PIFed a superb honing, so perhaps this is my first opportunity to keep the momentum going. If anyone is interested in taking on a restoration project, I'd be happy to PIF this razor to you. Just leave a comment saying you're in and I'll select a winner by random number Sunday evening.

IMG_20180622_233457.jpg IMG_20180622_233559.jpg
-- Alan

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Great PIF! Red Imp’s are incredible shavers. Not in, but good luck everyone.

I'd like a shot at it. There are a few techniques I'd like to try with it.
Thanks for your generous offer.

I’m in, thanks. I’ve always wanted to try a Red Imp.

Rumple, this is a classic case of the scales shrinking over time. Notice how the wedge is now too wide.

@mr_houston Shrinking scales??? I've not heard of this phenomena. But then again, I'm a relative noob in this SR world... Is this specific to Red Imps your a general malady?

-- Alan

Thanks for the shot at it. Concratulations.

I understand that scale shrinking happens with the red imps. I experienced it with a Bowdins wedge. I liked the blue scales thatI just re-ground the wedge to fit.

@mr_houston Shrinking scales??? I've not heard of this phenomena. But then again, I'm a relative noob in this SR world... Is this specific to Red Imps your a general malady?

-- Alan
I have several Case razors and this happened to 3 of them. Has to do with the material drying out I'm told.

Sent from my R1 PLUS using Tapatalk

Top Bottom