What's new

Red hair harder to cut?

Is red hair harder to cut?

I’m a red head. First side effect is sensitive skin (I avoid nickel and use unscented soaps).

I’m also wondering if red whiskers dull my blade quicker. I read that on the head there are fewer hair folicules but they are thicker, so one’s head of hair still looks full. Is this true for whiskers?

No. I don't buy it. My shaves and blade longevity are in line with everyone else.

I have reddish hair and a red beard.

As for sensitive skin during shaving, I don't buy it either. We all have sensitive skin when dragging a razor blade across it. Skin redness or irritation after a shave is from poor technique or weak lather.

Last edited:
That is a good question to ask a veteran barber. My non-professional guess is red hair is not more difficult to cut.

But I have wondered the same about white hair? Not sure why. Maybe because of lighting nuances and shadows, if that makes sense.

No. I don't buy it. My shaves and blade longevity are in line with everyone else.

As for sensitive skin during shaving, I don't buy it either. We all have sensitive skin when dragging a razor blade across it. Skin redness or irritation after a shave is from poor technique or weak lather.

For skin sensitivity, there is a difference between reacting to an ingredient or material versus irritation from dragging the blade over one’s skin. I have gone scentless for my shave soaps, and it’s made a big difference.

Regarding irritation due to the blade, going to an SR resolved that for me. :)

Regarding blades, do you use DE or SR? And how often do you change your blade and/or refresh your SR edge?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Is red hair harder to cut?
Yes, because someone has to look at it to cut it!

Seriously though, red hair is thicker and coarser than blonde or brunette hair. Red hair in the beard is as well. The advantage is that beard looks mountain man full relatively quickly, the disadvantage is that red beard hair dries out and frizzles more quickly.
My understanding is that red heads also have a different perception of pain, and often require more anesthesia than other people, aside from the well known issues of skin sensitivity and proclivity for sunburn.
It ain't easy being ginger!

For skin sensitivity, there is a difference between reacting to an ingredient or material versus irritation from dragging the blade over one’s skin. I have gone scentless for my shave soaps, and it’s made a big difference.

Regarding irritation due to the blade, going to an SR resolved that for me. :)

Regarding blades, do you use DE or SR? And how often do you change your blade and/or refresh your SR edge?
DE. Astra Superior or Gillette Silver Blue.

Yes, irritation can come from fragrances or ingredients I'm lucky in the fact that I don't enjoy overpoweringly scented soaps/creams.

I don't track usage or count shaves any more. I swap it out when it starts to tug. Sometimes I get 3 shaves, sometimes 5, sometimes more. I shave every second day (by choice, not because my skin can't take it). My blade gets changed once a week, sometimes longer.

Yes, because someone has to look at it to cut it!

Seriously though, red hair is thicker and coarser than blonde or brunette hair. Red hair in the beard is as well. The advantage is that beard looks mountain man full relatively quickly, the disadvantage is that red beard hair dries out and frizzles more quickly.
My understanding is that red heads also have a different perception of pain, and often require more anesthesia than other people, aside from the well known issues of skin sensitivity and proclivity for sunburn.
It ain't easy being ginger!
I knew it!

Top Bottom