What's new

Red Ambassador and Pearl Flexi, are they the same?

They look insanely similar. I know Pearl is made in India and Rex is made in the USA. I can assume the Flexi is a copy of the Ambassador? Does anyone have both and can compare? I have a Flexi and I really like it, but I am curious how they compare.
30-600x827.jpg
images.jpeg

I have owned both. I moved the Flexi on when I got the Rex.
The Rex is a bit more aggressive, the biggest difference in my experience is build quality. The Rex is better built and finished. Their materials also differ, stainless steel for the rex vs coated brass for the flexi).

The Flexi is heavy, the Rex is a bit lighter.
Grip on the Ambassador is ALOT better.

I always thought the Flexi looked a bit blant, simple, boring,...
The Rex looks and feels the part.

Be ware though that there seem to be more content flexi owners out there than there are Ambassador owners. Many find Rex's take too harsh/aggressive.

My personal sentiment is that they are both great shaving tools. If that is all you are after the Flexi should be fine. If you want a more luxurious, lighter and aggressive version go for an Ambassador.

Last edited:
There's also the Yaqi adjustable final cut in both zamac and brass.

The Ambassador, flexi and yaqi adjustable are all modern takes of the Gibbs reglable. A French vintage adjustable razor that uses proprietary blades.

If it's the "original" you are after, there is a bst listing of 5 Gibbs adjustable razors as we speak. You would have to adapt new de blades to fit that razor though, if you're not into that - steer clear.

The yaqi tfc has gotten ALOT of praise and should be closest to an Ambassador, from what I have read on these forums. It's also more affordable.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I never owned a Gibbs, but hehe yet to find a razor copying inspired by it that I truly like.
Might give the Yaqi a try, but I am currently rather brooding about this or that Cognac and Brandy. I usually solve that problem by declaring them to be on different fun money budgets. 😎

I have a Gibbs. Use to own the Rex and now have the Flexi. Not Rex and not Flexi shaves like a Gibbs. Gibbs glides over your skin with good efficiency. Flexi is a very good shaver and for me it's smoother than Rex so I let the Rex go and left with the Flexi. The price difference is also a factor for some.

I've got both and they are not the same.

Initally I liked the Flexi much more than the Ambassador. I found the Ambassador to produce a very rough shave, and the Flexi to be very smooth. After shaving with the Rex my face would hurt, but when using the Pearl I would get consistently good shaves with minimal effort. So I hung the Rex up for a while and came back to it a few months later.

Now the Ambassador is blowing me away; I am getting effortless BBS with little to no irritation (even against the grain if I'm really, really careful) for the first time in my life. I am still enjoing the Flexi, but the Ambassador is a damn fine razor. It all comes down to angle and the Ambassador has a very narrow one that takes some getting used to, but once you do you'll know it.

I'd guess I had to get through 15-20 terrible shaves with the Ambassador before I started getting good ones. But at $250 (when I bought it), I figured it was worth giving it a chance. And I'm really glad I did.

Coming from my first love (black beauty) to my second love (Overlander), I found my Flexi even on its lowest setting to be incredibly aggressive. Do I have the angle wrong, is my Flexi defective or am I defective?😛

is my Flexi defective or am I defective?😛
It might as well be defective. There were quite some issues with blade alignment on the first Flexi batches. I had the latest batch that was available (in 2020) and even that one had a scewed head. I managed to fix it somehow in the end but in my case it didn't affect the shave or at leats not notibly.

Perhaps you are using too much pressure? it's a very heavy razor. Just let gravity do it's work (without letting go of it 😛)

The first time I picked up my Ambassador, I fell in love. No 20 - odd bad shaves here.

"YMMV" ☺️

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Do I have the angle wrong, is my Flexi defective or am I defective?😛
The Gibbs type has a lot of unsupported blade and quite a lot of people don't like that. Adjusting the gap doesn't change that, but a lower gap makes it a bit more bearable.

So nothing wrong with razor or you. Maybe it just isn't your thing.

I don't own an Ambassador but I do have the Flexi and quite like it. I might have to try an Ambassador one of these days.

I don't own an Ambassador but I do have the Flexi and quite like it. I might have to try an Ambassador one of these days.
Directly answering your question: I have, and like, both. I see the Flexi as a bargain buy, especially if you purchase direct from Pearl and get the brush, soap samples & blades. The Rex is lighter, and handles "better" solely because of the more aggressive handle knurling. The shaves are very, very close, and I use the Flexi as my travel Rex.

Edit: I consider the Rex a luxury good, and am glad to have purchased one. Without knowing exactly what you're after, I would highly recommend the Asylum RX V2, if you're after something different.

I have, and absolutely love, the Rex Ambassador. It provides the consistently closest shave, without irritation, in my den. I bought a Pearl Flexi to use as a travel razor and really liked it. Speaking strictly on shave quality, the Flexi shaved as well as any razor I’ve owned! It’s a little less efficient than the Rex, but delivers a very nice, very smooth shave! In terms of fit and finish it’s very good, but not a Rex (and shouldn’t be for the price point). It’s very heavy, which is really the only aspect I personally disliked. Unfortunately my Flexi got lost in the mail (from my son). I was sad to see it go, but not enough to buy another one. But if I didn’t already have a Rex…

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I did find the Ambassador a bit irritating at first, but with many rotations and experience, I admit it's definitely a very smooth razor.

We usually try from "3" on other adjustable razors.
But the ambassador has a different trick, as it has a wider range of variables; the point is to not be greedy, start below "1" or "2" and increase the scale by 0.5 or even 0.25. Wait until experience matures or skin likes more blade, then use a higher scale.

It's unbelievable that I say this, but it gave me even less stimulation than the Razorock mamba53. And I generally consider myself to like a mild razor.

I love my Rex Ambassador. Absolutely zero issues and never had a harsh shave. Guess I could try shaving without any soap to experience a harsh shave; nope not going to try that one.

Top Bottom