What's new

Recycling Soap

Last year I bought some vegetable-based Bay Rum soap. It smelled great, but I wasn't happy with the performance. I melted it down and added some Kokum Butter and also some Cremo. It now produces a denser & creamier lather & now shaves well.

I've got a bunch of samples of tallow-based soaps, mostly from Sterling, aand decided to try a melt & remix for all those little odds & ends. It's so easy to do in a microwave, but go slow to avoid scorching the soaps.

5 second bursts in my old microwave, checking to see when it softened worked best. Unlike the vegetable-based soap, which mented down like candle wax, the tallow-bases leftovers just softened up to allow stirring & mixing. 3 seconds, stir & repeat until soft enough to completely mix. While I did add some Agarwood Oil, he blend is solely leftover soaps without need to add anything else.

I've reduced clutter of leftovers, and now have a jar of around 3oz. of soap - enough to last well into next year.

Yeah I've done this numerous times over the years, making Frankensoaps just for fun or to make usable some underperforming soaps. Using them as a pre shave soap or in the shower/hand soaps is another was as well. Sometimes you may get a real surprise at the end result.

Yes,I just mixed Lea and Arko : 2 to 1 ratio.

I did this because I am not happy with the lathering properties of Lea soap ( newer non-tallow one )

Placed both soaps in ceramic container which in turn was placed into a saucepan of boiling water.

Mixed thoroughly when they melted and then placed resultant soap in a fairly large coffee mug.

I will test lathering properties in the next few days.

Most soaps will soften using the double boiler method mentioned above. No need to completely melt the soap, just soften enough to mix it and form it in a mold. The microwave method is not very forgiving & might damage the soap.

Most soaps will soften using the double boiler method mentioned above. No need to completely melt the soap, just soften enough to mix it and form it in a mold. The microwave method is not very forgiving & might damage the soap.

Yes, they aren't completely melted - just paste like in consistency.

Nuking them ( microwave) no good

I make my own soaps but I do purchase too.

Last edited:
Yes, they aren't completely melted - just paste like in consistency.

Nuking them ( microwave) no good

I make my own soaps but I do purchase too.
Here is the resultant soap mix - at least the scent has changed for the better .

IMG_20211129_181256~2.jpg

Is that the LEA puck mixed in, or the LEA stick. Scent of wood and lemon, like polishing furniture? 🤣
No the puck which had a very mild scent , that reminded me of my childhood - hand/bath soap.

The new Lea puck without tallow.

In the next few days I'll try it out and post comments in the which soap today thread.

Obviously, nothing like the aroma of the Truefitt and Hill sandalwood which is close by 😜

Last edited:
No the puck which had a very mild scent , that reminded me of my childhood - hand/bath soap.

The new Lea puck without tallow.

In the next few days I'll try it out and post comments in the which soap today thread.

Obviously, nothing like the aroma of the Truefitt and Hill sandalwood which is close by 😜
New Lea puck :

CHARACTERISTICS:

• Exclusive formulation with Sandalwood, Bisabolol, Glycerin and Menthol
  • Energising moisturiser and soothing properties
  • Lasting freshness

Similar to this, I have found that if you shred the tallow soap and shred some vege soap and mix them together then microwave them together, the vege soap will bond well with the tallow soap. One of my early ventures with this was mixing some Pineapple tallow soap I bought in Hawaii with unscented Van Der Hagen Luxury provided an excellent Pineapple scented shaving soap. Today I would more likely use Bramble Berry Melt and Pour Shaving soap base.

Top Bottom