What's new

Recs on portable Ipod speakers?

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a good portable ipod speaker dock that is still fairly inexpensive...hopefully under 100 bucks or so.

Thanks!

I have one of the original Altec Lansing InMotions, and I'm happy with it. They don't make it anymore, but it has decent sound, can take AA batteries, folds up fairly small, and is brainless to use. I keep it in the kitchen normally for when I'm cooking, but it's been known to travel outside for when I'm working on my car, or even in the bathroom for a shower & shave session.

What I would reccomend is to figure out what features you want, do some research, and then listen to as many as you can in various stores.

For features, the questions are - battery powered or wall power only? Clock or no clock? Portable size, or larger? Wireless remote? Room filling sound, or small desk sized set? Etc. Etc.

As for research, my favorite iPod related site is iLounge. They're pretty much the premier iPod review site. Playlist Magazine isn't bad also.

And then listen to them if you can. Many stores have them on demo, or at least out of boxes, and you can probably find a salesperson to find you an outlet to plug it in. Drop your iPod in, and play a few tracks. There's no replacement for a simple ear-experience. You can really tell that certain units (*ahem* Bose), are just expensive based on the brand name, not on the actual quality of the unit.

One final note -- be sure to get a unit that the iPod just sets in to a dock, not encases the iPod completely. Apple hasn't changed the dock connector on the bottom of the iPod in many years, and they're unlikely to in the future. However, if you purchased a speaker set that encased the iPod, and later a larger, thicker, or different shaped iPod came in to your life, it may not fit. I know this was an issue on the Altec Lansing iM9 series when the iPhone came out, because it surrounds the entire iPod. This issue also showed up a few years ago when the iPod nano came out, because it's dock connector is slightly off center. Almost any speaker system that the iPod sets down in to seems to be more future-proof than others.

I ordered this one from Amazon.

It's inexpensive and the sound quality isn't the best, but it does work. I primarily use my Ipod for audiobooks so it works great from me.

Top Bottom