What's new

Recovering LP from a hundred pound cylinder

Hey gang, I have an interesting problem.

Over the past few years I've been upgrading the gas tanks at the farm, and as a piece of the stopgap measure I've always been keeping an old hundred pound cylinder full. Now I've pretty much got the big tanks straightened out, but I have a completely full cylinder I'd like to recover.

My wife like the idea of buying a backyard grill and grilling like crazy for a while. But aside from using it up in recreation mode, anyone got a suggestion how to get the gas out of it?

Take it to the place that filled it for you, they can take the gas out. The guys I deal with gave me a credit for a small one I had that was old and without the modern hookup

Take it to the place that filled it for you, they can take the gas out. The guys I deal with gave me a credit for a small one I had that was old and without the modern hookup

That involves wrestling it into the pickup. It ain't one like in the 20 LB bottles in racks outside the gas station.

It's this http://www.lowes.com/pd_28370-743-303953_0__?productId=1080473

It was filled on site years ago when they could fill small bottles.

Another guy has suggested that I just rig a flexible hose, then roll it over to the manifold for the new tanks, and shut off a new tank to steal the connection. Running in full bore with this tank as the only one turned on the tank will exhaust fairly quickly. This might be a PITA, but it's beginning to look like my easiest solution.

Not exactly sure what you hope to achieve by recovering versus using it, but you might consider selling the tank full if you have gotten your other propane tanks sorted out.

Top Bottom