What's new

Records that will never be broken

Another vote for Bradman. Has anyone mentioned Lance Armstrong with his Tour De France wins?
I would've said Lance too, but even I, as an American and a fan of him, have recently begun to question whether he doped for the 1999 win.

Tiger had more than a chance....he was on course to obliterate it. Now he can't hit the broad side of a barn. I don't know if he'll ever win another major.

Cobb used a bat. Bradman used a boat oar.

There is no harder skill in sports than to hit a round ball with a round bat squarely.

someone show this guy the footage of Bradman training in his garage with a cricket stump and a golf ball! both rounded, both the quarter of a size of a baseball bat & ball. he spent hours hitting the golf ball with the stump against the wall to himself. his hand/eye coordination was beyond human

cricket is an international sport played between the following countries: England, Australia, New Zealand, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, South Africa, the West Indies & Zimbabwe. walk the streets of India when there is a cricket match on and the streets are empty; there are a quarter of a billion tv sets on around the country watching the game.

as for the greatest sportsman, Sir Don has this one covered

But those aren't real countries.

Seems like a lot of the suggestions are for achievements, not records.
Achievements are hard to re-do, they're more a factor of circumstance and actions coinciding.

Records will always be broken, unless the way the game is played changes in some way. Pitching longetivity records are pretty safe now that 5 man rotation and pitch counts rule the day, but there's always going to be some young kid with better training, more education, better nutrition, more drive, who'll eventually break every record out there.

I think two NFL records that will never be broken (also as suggested by NFL Network's top 10) are Brett Favre's starts record and Don Shula's wins as a pro coach record.

Look at Brett's for a second. Peyton was on track but his latest neck problems basically blew whatever chance he had.

I have one that has not been talked about yet. It is a man from Wrestling Greco-Roman. I have seen different interviews, article and some of his matches of this man over the years and it is impressive. His name is Aleksandr Karelin. This Russian wrestler, nicknamed the "Russian Bear," "Alexander the Great" and "The Experiment" went undefeated for 13 years. Here are 2 articles about him Aleksandr Karelin From Wikipedia and Aleksandr KARELIN The gentle giant . Olympic Games Golds 3 and Silver 1, World Championships 9 Gold and European Championships Gold 12.

Schumacher's 7 (and possibly more) F1 championships

Please tell me you're joking with the "possibly more" statement. He hasn't placed on the podium since his return last year. He's out of the running forth championshipthis year, and he's gonna be 42 next year. I love the racer, but let's cut him off at 7.

Still raises another good record: Schumacher's 5 consecutive F1 world championships. Most likely it will only be tied at best. In that same breath, I'd add Jimmie Johnson's 5 consecutive, but he has the chance to break that with 6 this year.

:lol: Spoken like a true Yank with no real understanding of the world beyond their shores :lol:

Tell me, how can you have a World Series when only one country plays? :lol:

Oh, it's played in America. I've seen it played while I was at school. The people playing were smoking. And when I was in England, cricket was on the tv. Those players were also smoking. If you can smoke while you are playing a "sport," it's not a sport. Cricket is therefore not a sport. That rule also applies to golf, bridge, chess, darts, poker, curling, craps, drinking, eating, and video games.

As for the hardest skill in sport, I'd say finishing the Paris-Dakhar. TdF endurance is beyond imagining, even for the guys who come in 50th or whatever, hitting a baseball is quite difficult, especially when thrown by an expert, but to stay the course and keep your head for the whole of that rally over that kind of terrain at those speeds for that amount of time? A huge achievement.

Pete Maravich's NCAA basketball scoring record. His 3667 points, with no three point line and without freshman eligiblity, led to a 44.2 ppg average. Pretty impressive for a skinny kid that all he could shoot the lights out. Also the best ball handler ever, according to John Havelichek. Give him another year and a three point line and he would have broken 5000.

As for the hardest skill in sport, I'd say finishing the Paris-Dakhar. TdF endurance is beyond imagining, even for the guys who come in 50th or whatever, hitting a baseball is quite difficult, especially when thrown by an expert, but to stay the course and keep your head for the whole of that rally over that kind of terrain at those speeds for that amount of time? A huge achievement.

I wouldn't even have attempted that run when I was in my best bike riding shape 25 years ago, going at the slowest possible speeds. But the ability to hit safely in the major leagues three out of ten times is so rare that it will make the player's great grandchildren richer than kings (if he doesn't spend too much). No one has done it four out of ten times in the past several decades. But if you can only do it two out of ten times, rather than three, you lose your job.

Research has been done on it, and the hardest skill in sports is actually saving a penalty kick in soccer.

How is that a harder skill than an ice hockey goalie saving a 100-mph shot that he can't see until the last moment because he is being screened? I want to talk to the guy who did that research.

How is that a harder skill than an ice hockey goalie saving a 100-mph shot that he can't see until the last moment because he is being screened? I want to talk to the guy who did that research.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymgMNLPw1yY

ESPN Sports Science did it last year during the world cup. They approached it with everyone's assumption that hitting a Major League fastball was the hardest skill in sports, then compared that with saving a penalty kick. They compared a 90mph fastball with a 70mph penalty kick, but that's actually quite lenient since many soccer players regularly hit penalty shots in excess of 90-95mph.

A 70mph penalty kick (again, that's on the low end) reaches the goal in 400 milliseconds, as opposed to 440 milliseconds for a 90mph fastball. Couple that with the large area that the keeper has to cover (the goal is 192 sq feet as opposed to the small baseball strike zone) and the reaction time needed to commit your movement in a given direction. By the time the brain recognizes where the ball is hit and makes the decision where to move, the ball is over halfway to the goal. A batter takes 150 milliseconds to swing a bat and a goalkeeper takes over 700 milliseconds to save a shot hit to the post on either side. That's why you see so many keepers guess on the direction before the opposing player kicks the ball. Keepers guess the direction correctly 57% of the time, but don't necessarily save the shot. And with the Major League wide batting average for the 2009 season was .258, compared with the worldwide average of PK saves from pro keepers of 22%. Now, that stat isn't really directly applicable (because more pitches are thrown as opposed to penalty kicks) but it's still worth considering when you look at the data.

But how does saving a soccer penalty compare to hockey? I don't know. But on the face of it, the first thing I would say is that the hockey goal isn't very large and the goalie is wearing big pads and uses a stick. which all aids in him making himself "bigger" in the goal frame. He also doesn't have to move nearly as much to save a shot.

Nice comeback.

Not really. Doesn't change the statistics and his dominance compared to peers which clearly demonstrates that of the major world sports his records are the most unlikely to be broken.

someone show this guy the footage of Bradman training in his garage with a cricket stump and a golf ball! both rounded, both the quarter of a size of a baseball bat & ball. he spent hours hitting the golf ball with the stump against the wall to himself. his hand/eye coordination was beyond human

Yep - it is amazing to watch. Cricket ball in one hand - throws it at corrugated tank which can bouce in and direction and he hits it. Incredible!

Top Bottom