What's new

Records that will never be broken

Since the NCAA seems to frown upon hiring college athletes these days, the various UCLA/John Wooden basketball records will probably never be broken.

Likewise, since Nascar frowns on cheating these days, Richard Petty's lifetime records will never be touched.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Johnny Unitas' 47 consecutive games with a touchdown, the next closest was Brett Favre and he was only about 3/4 of the way there. This is made even more impressive by the fact that it was over 4 years (only 12 games/season back then), and still more impressive by the fact that back then the focus was definitely more on the running game.

Brilliant!

I always said that's the most underrated record in sports, at least as hard to beat as Joe D's 56.

Never again will a NHL defenseman lead the league in scoring TWICE (like the best player who's ever played the game did in '70 and '75).

I don't think any future NHL players will break the 200 points in a season plateau (like the best forward who's ever played the game did four times).

But......Howe wasn't a defenseman? :001_tt2:

My personal record for drinking neat whiskey is 3/4 of a pint in 18 seconds. I'll never even want to break that one. That was an interesting night.

Sir Donald Bradman's Test batting average of 99.94.

This is statistically the greatest achievement in any major sport according to research that looked at averages and variations therefrom. There is a great chart of cricket batting averages here that shows what I mean. Bradman is so above and beyond his peers that he is unlikely to ever be beaten and arguably is the greatest individual sportsman who ever lived.

OK guys, go your hardest over that claim :001_tt2:

Unitas, Ripken, and DiMaggio, for sure. But how about these Babe Ruth records, accomplished without steroids (or much time in the weight room): Lifetime slugging percentage, .6897. 11 seasons with at least 40 HR. 7 consecutive seasons with 40 HR. 12 seasons leading the league in HR. 3 decades in which he led the league in HR at least once.

But......Howe wasn't a defenseman? :001_tt2:

Glad I met your expectations!

I think that you will never see the 200 point season again in hockey, I also think that Frank Ward reaching base safely in 17 consecutive plate appearances (or Ted Williams 16 if baseball after 1900 is your thing) will never be touched. Baseball records before 1947 are tough to put in perspective (for me, from a statistical and math point only). Is this sports only? What about Dark Side of the Moon on the Billboard charts for 14 years (top 200)?

Oh, and the whiskey comment above is crazy, glad you are still with us to tell the tale.

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Unitas, Ripken, and DiMaggio, for sure. But how about these Babe Ruth records, accomplished without steroids (or much time in the weight room): Lifetime slugging percentage, .6897. 11 seasons with at least 40 HR. 7 consecutive seasons with 40 HR. 12 seasons leading the league in HR. 3 decades in which he led the league in HR at least once.

There are some guys whose statistics look like mistakes- Ruth and Chamberlain are perhaps the two best examples. Yet almost all of The Bambino's recorded have been eclipsed. Chamberlain, however, has some that will never be approached.

The home runs in three different decades isn't that impressive, as it merely requires good timing. A person born in 1950 would have a hard time managing to live in three different centuries, but someone born in 1898 has a much better chance. As an extreme example of this, I ate in Katz's Deli in seven different decades.

Not knowing a lot about baseball I stand to be corrected but this article and other sources suggest that Bradman exceeded all other famous contenders.

'for Cobb to have matched Bradman in dominance, he would have required a career batting average of .392. Cobb's career average was .366.

He says that to achieve the superiority level of Bradman, Nicklaus would have needed 25 major golf titles (he won 18), and Jordan would have needed to average 43 points a game (he averaged 32).'

Despite having retired in 1948 and current cricketers playing a LOT more test matchs thatn in his ear Bradman still holds the following significant records for Test match cricket:
  • Highest career batting average (minimum 20 innings): 99.94[212]
  • Highest series batting average (5 Test series): 201.50 (1931–32)[213]
  • Highest ratio of centuries per innings played: 36.25% (29 centuries from 80 innings)[214]
  • Highest 5th wicket partnership: 405 (with Sid Barnes, 1946–47)[215]
  • Highest 6th wicket partnership: 346 (with Jack Fingleton, 1936–37)[216]
  • Highest score by a number 5 batsman: 304 (1934)[217]
  • Highest score by a number 7 batsman: 270 (1936–37)[217]
  • Most runs against one opponent: 5,028 (v England)[218]
  • Most runs in one series: 974 (1930)[219]
  • Most centuries scored in a single session of play: 6 (1 pre lunch, 2 lunch-tea, 3 tea-stumps)[220]
  • Most runs in one day's play: 309 (1930)[221]
  • Most double centuries: 12[222]
  • Most double centuries in a series: 3 (1930)[223]
  • Most triple centuries: 2 (equal with Chris Gayle, Brian Lara and Virender Sehwag)[224]
  • Most consecutive matches in which he made a century: 6 (the last three Tests in 1936–37, and the first three Tests in 1938)[225]
  • Bradman has averaged over 100 in seven different calendar years (*qualification 400 runs). No other player has achieved this in more than two calendar years.
  • Fastest player to reach 2000 (in 22 innings),[226] 3000 (33 innings),[227] 4000 (48 innings),[228] 5000 (56 innings)[229] and 6000 (68 innings)[230] Test runs.

That really is stuff of legend and unlikely to be broken!

:lol: Spoken like a true Yank with no real understanding of the world beyond their shores :lol:

Tell me, how can you have a World Series when only one country plays? :lol:

Toronto is not part of the US and has played in and won a World Series. M-L-B! /M-L-B rant

By that notion, the World Cup does not include all populated countries and does not count either :001_tt2:

Last edited:
Unbreakable records.

Attachments

• $goodson collection1.jpg
    $goodson collection1.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 147
Top Bottom