What's new

Record players - Turntables. I want one. Help.

I've heard some people say that the "warmth" people describe hearing from analog recordings is actually imperfections in the recording, whether it be subtle pitch shifts, fluctuations in RPM, surface noise, etc. I don't know enough to support or deny that claim, but I like the idea. Because isn't that the whole idea in getting away from digital sources anyway? To get away from the clinical precision of those recordings and hear more of a human immediacy?

But I'm talking out of my butt here, most likely.

I'll probably be sorry I'm following this thread. I don't have an amp and my daughter's very old combo LP/CD/tape player is probably 30 years old and none of it plays at the right speed. I've got a box-full of LPs in storage, everything from LPs I never want to hear again (Tubular Bells, Cat Stevens, Imagine and Woodstock) to a bunch of Dylan bootleg LPs from the 70s (I'd love to hear that Highway 61 Revisited Again bootleg), some Country Joe and the Fish, Waits, Tull and Brubeck. I haven't opened that box in so long, I can't remember what we have. My wife wants to move to a smaller place next year and doesn't want more things to move, so I need something compact.

@Toothpick

To your specific question (and I am sure this will get some pushback) but by way of background I have enough Mackie studio monitors that are THX certified to 5.1, a dedicated computer doing the 24/96 conversion for each channel (and that really should be upgraded to 24/192 or something or as I get older simply buy an XLR capable preprocessor that is reasonably decent), have a wall full of music in various formats

In contrast to above, we use this $200 and change gizmo for analog records for the sheer enjoyment of it:

And there are versions of that Crosley that are cheaper and more expensive. It works in the environment you'd expect, with friends, family, ambience and that warm "record like" sound you'd expect w/out going broke about it and aesthetically pleasing enough to make family happy ;)

[That random DAC is used more often that you'd expect when you get tired of flipping records over every 20 minutes ;)]

Avi

A couple of years ago my wife bout me a turntable that allows me to convert to digital. It is kind of a laborious process but I am slowly converting my vinyl to digital.

I'll probably be sorry I'm following this thread. I don't have an amp and my daughter's very old combo LP/CD/tape player is probably 30 years old and none of it plays at the right speed. I've got a box-full of LPs in storage, everything from LPs I never want to hear again (Tubular Bells, Cat Stevens, Imagine and Woodstock) to a bunch of Dylan bootleg LPs from the 70s (I'd love to hear that Highway 61 Revisited Again bootleg), some Country Joe and the Fish, Waits, Tull and Brubeck. I haven't opened that box in so long, I can't remember what we have. My wife wants to move to a smaller place next year and doesn't want more things to move, so I need something compact.

Those Waits records are gold. I'm acquiring his entire catalog as budget allows. I've got most of 'em. The man is a national treasure.

A couple of years ago my wife bout me a turntable that allows me to convert to digital. It is kind of a laborious process but I am slowly converting my vinyl to digital.

Many years ago, before retirement, I worked with a guy that had the equipment at home to do conversions. I once asked him to convert a cassette I made of a live Black47 radio concert from 1993 (Asbury Park) to CD. He did a good job, and said that while my taste in music was horrible, his dog howling the whole time it was converting made it much worse. I never asked him to do any others.

Many years ago, before retirement, I worked with a guy that had the equipment at home to do conversions. I once asked him to convert a cassette I made of a live Black47 radio concert from 1993 (Asbury Park) to CD. He did a good job, and said that while my taste in music was horrible, his dog howling the whole time it was converting made it much worse. I never asked him to do any others.

Hah. What did he do? Set up a microphone in front of the speakers? I'm guessing he really didnt' have the equipment to do the conversions. He just thought he did and liked telling people that. LOL

Hah. What did he do? Set up a microphone in front of the speakers? I'm guessing he really didnt' have the equipment to do the conversions. He just thought he did and liked telling people that. LOL

This was like 20+ years ago. It must have been a linked system that recorded in real time. I don't hear his dog howling on the CD, so it wasn't miked. My daughter's 30yo old linked system could record from LP or CD to cassette, but could not record to CD.

Those Waits records are gold. I'm acquiring his entire catalog as budget allows. I've got most of 'em. The man is a national treasure.

The first time I remember seeing Waits was on Fernwood 2 Night, a parody late-nite talk show in the late 70s, hosted by Martin Mull and Fred Willard. Mull and Willards reaction to Waits was priceless. I think I still have Waits first LP, Nighthawks at the Diner and Heartattack and Vine. My favorite Waits song is still the 1st song on his first LP - "Ol 55". I love that song.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
So I think it's between the Rega Planar 1 and the Pro-Ject Audio Debut Carbon

The Rega is a motor driven and the Pro-Ject is belt driven.

Is there any advantage or disadvantage over either belt or motor?

And if I get a receiver with a phono amp built in then I won't need anything else but speakers correct?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

And if I get a receiver with a phono amp built in then I won't need anything else but speakers correct?
Both are belt drive.

If you get an amp or receiver with the phono preamp built in then the only thing left is speakers.

Most people think that belt driven tables are quieter (as in unwanted noise transferred to the stylus). I own one of each and can't hear the difference.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Both are belt drive.

If you get an amp or receiver with the phono preamp built in then the only thing left is speakers.

I guess I got confused when the website said it had a motor on it - " For the first time the Planar 1 is now running a 24v, low noise, synchronous motor to reduce vibration transfer combined with our brand new RB110 tonearm fitted with Rega's bespoke ultra low friction play bearings. "

http://www.rega.co.uk/planar-1.html

Unless they mean the motor that turns the belt.

I guess I got confused when the website said it had a motor on it - " For the first time the Planar 1 is now running a 24v, low noise, synchronous motor to reduce vibration transfer combined with our brand new RB110 tonearm fitted with Rega's bespoke ultra low friction play bearings. "

Yep. Belt driven tables have a motor that turns a belt. Direct drive tables have a motor that turns a spindle and interacts directly with the record.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

That is what they mean. :)

I considered the same two turntables. I read a lot of reviews on several different websites. Some must be taken with a grain of salt. I don't recall why I went with the Rega over the Project. It was pretty close. What may have tipped it in favor of the Rega was that I found an old local shop that sells the Regas. I found pricing to be the same everywhere I looked. So, since there was no discounting going on, I figured buying from a retail store would give me someone to talk to if I had problems. Also, we discussed the pre-amp since my receiver did not have on built in. I ended up getting Rega's pre-amp.

$300 is a very slim budget if it's for everything - stylus/cartridge, receiver, preamp (if it's not built into the receiver), speakers, and all necessary interconnects. I'd be looking at used gear exclusively if that's really your total budget.

If it's $300 just for the table, you should do very nicely. I'd also recommend a Pro-ject or an entry level Rega belt driven table. But I wouldn't pass on a Technics SL-1200 MKII in great shape if you can find one used. It's the most iconic turntable in existence.

+1
Since 1965 I’ve gone from a cheap Garrard to the AR to a Thorens to my present Technics SL-1200 MKII. Love that MKII!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom

I'm not going back ever having given up my records in the 90's. Never really paid attention to what I gave up or lost to various room mates etc. That being said if I was nutz enough I think the Pro-Ject Carbon with the pre-amp and USB would be the most flexible.

Good new decks can cost quite a bit. Probably spend a little time over on VinylEngine looking at reviews:

Once you have an idea of what you might like in a used deck, you can probably pick one up at an estate sale or off of Craigslist. There are some really nice old decks out there that aren't widely collected and so aren't over-priced. A lot of the 80's Japanese stuff was way better than it got credit for being...

I've had many turntables from "God what was I thinking that was too expensive" to "Bought it at a garage sale" and what I've found is that suspended turntables are only good if you have an absolutely massive solid stand sitting preferably on beams or a cement floor. Avoid moving-coil cartridges unless you're willing to do the homework on pre-amplification. Cartridges and damping and tracking are important but you don't have to go too over the top. The AT95E is a darned fine cartridge and... the other Audio Technica cartridge... purple one... I forget the number. *edit* AT440 - nevermind - it's been discontinued

Another way to go is to get a modern DJ deck. People poo-poo them, but they're better than most fiddly budget audiophile gear, much of which is underpowered and made of vinyl-wrapped particleboard which is good for dampening vibrations but just.. uggh. I think Audio Technica and Denon have a few in your stated price range that are decent even if a bit plasticky, but I'd pick an 80's deck from either of them (in good condition) One of the best cheap decks I ever had was a Pioneer PL71. I think they've since become collectors items, but there are a dozen other good vintage turntables that for one reason or another never became sought after. Pioneer PL-71 - https://vintage-turntable.com/pioneer-pl-71.html

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
300 was just a number I plucked out of thin air. If I can get a good one cheaper great. If it is more, so be it. I’m not an audiophile, yet I don’t want a cheapo that will ruin my records or sound like a turd.
What's a turd sound like?

I've seen a few at garage sales in the past. And one at my cousin's antique shop here recently.

Top Bottom