What's new

Record players - Turntables. I want one. Help.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
$300 budget. Possibly more if it’s really really worth it.

Possibly to include speakers? But probably not. I have a sound bar.

Hit me.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I’ve seen those for around sixty dollars with no speakers.

I’d buy one myself, but I have only 7 records.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
300 was just a number I plucked out of thin air. If I can get a good one cheaper great. If it is more, so be it. I’m not an audiophile, yet I don’t want a cheapo that will ruin my records or sound like a turd.

In that list, I would go with the Pro-Ject turntable. I like a well-designed belt-drive table which has better isolation from noise and vibration generated by the motor. Get the dust cover if it's optional. It's really a necessity. I tend to shy away from direct drive tables only because in lower cost tables, the direct drive motors have a tendency to pulsate. I find this to be audible, You may not. Also, don't hesitate to look at some higher end used tables, especially if you have an audio dealer near you who has trade-ins.

$300 is a very slim budget if it's for everything - stylus/cartridge, receiver, preamp (if it's not built into the receiver), speakers, and all necessary interconnects. I'd be looking at used gear exclusively if that's really your total budget.

If it's $300 just for the table, you should do very nicely. I'd also recommend a Pro-ject or an entry level Rega belt driven table. But I wouldn't pass on a Technics SL-1200 MKII in great shape if you can find one used. It's the most iconic turntable in existence.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Hit me.

I'm currently somewhere around 8,000 or so vinyl records.

And more than a couple of turntables. ;)

What audio components do you have? Amp? Speakers? Phono preamp?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member

So I posted this early morning while at work and bored. I was like “yes! I want to get a really good record player!”. My last was the Audio Technica LP60. Wasn’t bad, but you could tell it was inexpensive.

A couple hours later I realized I have nothing else to go with it. No receiver, no speakers, no nothing. Just a few records.

So yeah, I guess my $300 budget is blown.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
So I posted this early morning while at work and bored. I was like “yes! I want to get a really good record player!”. My last was the Audio Technica LP60. Wasn’t bad, but you could tell it was inexpensive.

A couple hours later I realized I have nothing else to go with it. No receiver, no speakers, no nothing. Just a few records.

Easy to do in Audio. ;)

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’ve got about 20-30. In my area they are hard to find. I can buy new ones all day of course. But the used ones , the old school bands. Nearly impossible to find the records.

for $300 you can pick up a very nice record player. For $300 you can get a good used setup. I love my records. Between my wife and I we only own less than 50 and have stopped buying them because they have become expensive due to the resurgence in popularity.

Not necessarily. If you don't mind used, not the best and greatest, and are willing to do a little work finding it. Yard sales, estate sales, and flea markets can have some pretty darn good enough equipment. Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, and the like might be worth frequenting. If pawn shops are in your area, definitely check those out.

Buying one in meat space, just use some common sense. Make them plug it in and turn it on. Some receivers have a built-in pre amp, some don't. The added pre amp is usually a better amp in the way a DSLR is a better camera. However, there's nothing wrong with the picture an iPhone can take. Up to you which way you go. But if the back of the receiver has a "phono" imput, it has its own pre amp. Needles are cheap, get some and swap out. Have a couple available when the turntable comes home.

Speakers are what you hear from. Skimp as little as possible. If you're somewhere someone can set them up really quick and test them for you, definitely do that. BUT don't be a jerk. Do that if you really like them. Once they do that, don't haggle too much. They just showed you they work.

A fill in can be had in an all in one, if that's something you'd be interested in.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

There are 'high value' components that can be purchased - both new and used.

Are you opposed to used components?

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

Hit me.

$300? For a ‘record player’ ... and speakers? Look on ebay for a vintage all in one stereo. Expect retro sound quality, but nothing to write home about.

Or you can buy one of those Chinese knock offs of a retro record player at Best Buy. That will do about the same thing, more or less.

Otherwise, if you want a more substantial vinyl setup, you will need to find a turntable with cartridge, and a pre-amp equipped with the requisite phono stage. Three hundred dollars might buy you one element of that, and not much past entry level.

I still spin vinyl. A serious vinyl deck costs serious dollars. That is not meant to sound pretentious, but as a caution. Good vinyl easily betters Redbook CD and is only roughly challenged by higher end 24/96 digital front ends. But you have to spend so much to get a quality vinyl rig that a high quality 24 bit digital front end is a much better audio value at lower price points.

If it’s just for the retro feel and all you have is $300, go with one of the first two options. Otherwise, $300 will barely get you in the door if you want something better. For quality audio at the $300 price point, you might be better served by something like a Squeezebox Transporter, a $2,000 digital streamer which is still floating around OEM for $3-400 on Ebay from time to time.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

With that many records, I sure hope you have a good cleaning machine.

I’ve paired down to under 1,000, but my old VPI machine is more important than the deck for some of them.

Top Bottom