What's new

RECOMMENDS . . .

Just what the title says . . .

I have been smoking cigars regularly for about a year now. I am narrowing my field to a few trusted marques that I enjoy, and will likely stick with a steady supply of those, while purchasing the occasional one off "just to try it".

My wife has always mentioned how she LOVES the smell of pipe tobacco. Since I began to indulge in cigars, the subject of pipes has come up with some regularity (mostly from her). I have thought about taking the plunge, while maintaining my interest in cigars.

So here is my question . . . what should a gentleman look to spend for a decent quality pipe? I am not looking for the cheapest option, but I am seeing ones on amazon that make me question whether the bowl will ignite in my hands if I light a plug within it.

I will say, that I have seen some of the pics in the B&B Pipe thread and they look gorgeous. But I am hoping to get started for somewhat less, if at all possible. Prices in USD is fine, I can manage the conversions in my head, and thank you in advance.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Welcome!

If economical factors are not a major consideration I feel any name brand pipe that looks pleasing to you will be a winner. I have a soft spot for Peterson’s and Savinelli. Prices are sub 100.00 for which you will get a very nice pipe. Move up to sub 200.00 and you can get nicer finishes and some silver adornments, though over all smoking enjoyment should not be much different.

Morgan Bones pipes start at 39.00 and smoke just as well as any other pipe, at the possible sacrifice of some aesthetics.

Finally Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipes are the cheapest option, and IMO smoke just as well as most Briar pipes. Some feel the Cobs taste a bit different and they are a bit rustic and have some eccentricities to them. I find them great beater pipes that can replaced if sat on or lost.

Thank you. Aesthetics are somewhat of an afterthought at the moment. I would deem utility to be of primary importance for a first purchase. After all, few of us by a Ferrari as our first car. So a "stock" Chevy seems more my kind of thing, at least for the moment.

My first “good” pipe, some 40 years ago was a Savinelli 114 KS, a classic billiard shape. I’m smoking it as I type. In the Missouri Meerschaum line, I like the Charles Towne Cobbler; a nice sized bowl with an acrylic stem that smokes quite well. Good luck on your journey.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Thank you. Aesthetics are somewhat of an afterthought at the moment. I would deem utility to be of primary importance for a first purchase. After all, few of us by a Ferrari as our first car. So a "stock" Chevy seems more my kind of thing, at least for the moment.

I think a Cob or a Morgan Bones will perfect for you. You can buy the Ferrari’s later.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have several briars, mostly from Parker, a couple of small meers, a few cobs, and a couple of Missouri Meerschaum hardwoods. None of them cost more than £25 GBP. One of those is an Ozark Cherrywood from MM, and it has been a fantastic pipe. Everything smokes great in it. If you want to know whether pipe smoking is for you or not, I can highly recommend one of those, or a cob, to start with.

You can easily upgrade later, or if it's not for you, sling it in the bin and go back to the cigars. Note, the first few smokes with the Ozark will taste of "new pipe", which includes woodstain. Sanding the inside of the bowl before the first smoke will help. By smoke three, the pipe taste will subside, and the tobacco taste should be less tainted.

If you specifically want briar, and you're in Europe, you can get Parker seconds from ThePipeShop.co.uk and mysmokingshop.co.uk for £25. They're the ones I use, and I currently have five of them.

I'm in Canada and, while the overall working of a cob pipe is interesting, they do not really intrigue me enough to purchase.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Just what the title says . . .

I have been smoking cigars regularly for about a year now. I am narrowing my field to a few trusted marques that I enjoy, and will likely stick with a steady supply of those, while purchasing the occasional one off "just to try it".

My wife has always mentioned how she LOVES the smell of pipe tobacco. Since I began to indulge in cigars, the subject of pipes has come up with some regularity (mostly from her). I have thought about taking the plunge, while maintaining my interest in cigars.

So here is my question . . . what should a gentleman look to spend for a decent quality pipe? I am not looking for the cheapest option, but I am seeing ones on amazon that make me question whether the bowl will ignite in my hands if I light a plug within it.

I will say, that I have seen some of the pics in the B&B Pipe thread and they look gorgeous. But I am hoping to get started for somewhat less, if at all possible. Prices in USD is fine, I can manage the conversions in my head, and thank you in advance.

Start inexpensive until you get your smoking sea legs. No need to begin with a four figure Dunhill. A $5 cob or a modest sub-$30 Dr. Grabow if starting new (and don't knock the cheap little Grabow, the last one I smoked on was a very decent little briar, so much so I wound up keeping it). Or an estate of known quality and good smoking characteristics, if one is sent your way.

As you grow into piping, a decent quality pipe is as little or as much as you want to spend. You may find a $29 Grabow a great smoker for a very long time. Others gravitate into more expensive factory pipes and artisan hand-mades. I cherish my Danish Stanwells, they smoke great and you can't get 'em anymore. But I also cherish my first $15 newsstand pipe. Or ... you may start collecting great estates, as some here do.

I'll let you in on a secret. None of them will necessarily smoke any better than that $29 Grabow or the $5 cob, if the pipe is made well and draws well. Master the cob or the Grabow, and you will be well along to your own answers as to the next one. Soon enough, if you stick with it, you will have a rotation.

As to pipe leaf, ladies will uniformly swoon to a good aromatic. Mrs. Columbo loves my Boswells. But most are not a good blend to start your piping on. Don't start your journey on a fancy blend, not just yet. You'll have plenty of time later. I always advise new pipers to start with a simple burley drug store classic until you get the basics down. Leave the Captain back at the dock.

If you want to start with an easy, inexpensive blend, and still have the ladies excited when you light, give Sir Walter Aromatic a try. Much less soggy than the usual aromatics, and it will be forgiving to a new piper and easy on a new pipe. It's one I still smoke regularly and doesn't demand non-stop attention.

Good luck and happy puffs to you!

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
My first “good” pipe, some 40 years ago was a Savinelli 114 KS, a classic billiard shape. I’m smoking it as I type. In the Missouri Meerschaum line, I like the Charles Towne Cobbler; a nice sized bowl with an acrylic stem that smokes quite well. Good luck on your journey.

I’m smoking a Sav 114 KS right NOW. A filterless Tre model.

A good smoker, with a very generous bowl.

I have 3 cobs, 2 H.I.S basket pipes, and a junktique store refreshed Medico Jet Stream. I'd suggest leaving used alone for now, but there's nothing wrong with a basket or Grabow. They're briar, can look nice, and will smoke good enough to learn what you're doing.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Thank you gentlemen . . . tobacquisition thread coming in the not so distant future.

I’ll just add this as you begin your piping journey from cigars. Perhaps it deserves its own thread. And I’ve never seen it discussed much around here, or touched on it before.

And that involves the ‘smoking sociability‘ between the two.

And moving from cigars to piping, it’s something to possibly contemplate, as you go back and forth between the two.

I will tell you purely on the criteria of tobacco flavor, blending quality, ambient room notes, and pure relaxation, I find piping generally superior to cigars. And I keep a fairly well-stocked humidor and enjoy some pretty nice cigars at this point. Especially this time of year. Not that cigars don’t taste great, and have a natural, tactile feel that is hard to beat. But a really good bowl can jump a notch or two on any cigar, even my very best ones.

So if piping can be better, why do some of us still keep — and greatly enjoy — cigars? It’s a big investment ... humidors, equipment, tools, etc. Why not just buy more top grade pipe leaf and make the most of that?

I’ll tell you why. Because from a social perspective, piping is primarily a spectator sport to others. While cigars can be a decidedly more participatory one.

And that sometimes means a lot to others. And sometimes quite a bit to you the smoker. Not from a taste, room note, or relaxation perspective. But from a social one.

Put it another way. If a good buddy swings by for a beer or cocktail with me this time of year, I’m not going to hand him one of my Stanwells and offer him a smoke. Would you stick someone else’s used pipe in your mouth on the fly?

But I am going to lead him over to the humidor, where he can pick the stick of his choice. And it will be exclusively his and only his, from beginning to end.

So we smoke (and drink) together, sharing our stinky cigar stench and good conversation. A good time. And anyone can conceivably smoke a cigar. No learning curve really required. Instant socializing, as we smoke away. Some more guys swing by? More cigars from the humidor. We’ve got hundreds at the ready.

The alternative, with a pipe, is that you will light up, alone, in most instances. Most men, and even most pipers, just don’t carry a pipe around everywhere at the ready. And piping, unlike cigar smoking, has a definite learning curve. It is unfortunately a less popular occupation nowadays. Even handing a virgin cob to a visitor is asking a lot of them if they have never smoked one before.

Sure, they will enjoy the room or area note as you puff away, and that’s about it. They are mere spectators to your relaxation. It will never be as social an experience among men sharing good drinks, good stories ... and good cigars together.

And that is why I generally (but not always) smoke cigars with others, but tend to do my piping alone. It’s the same reason every town has its cigar clubs and bars. But piping venues, not so much.

So ... if you are a solitary cigar smoker, then the transition to piping will be more seamless. But if you are accustomed to enjoying your cigars in a more social setting, at home, or at a cigar bar or club, be prepared for a little more social isolation than usual when lighting that bowl around others.

Unless, of course, you can find a piping buddy that remembers to bring one of his over when stopping by for cocktails. Then you may have just stumbled on tobacco nirvana from a social perspective ... dueling room notes notwithstanding.

Perhaps a more philosophical or psychological view of tobacco and social camaraderie. But one you may soon notice, too.

Happy puffs!

Last edited:
You pretty much nailed my perspective on the matter . . .

When I started wet shaving, I found a particularly meditative quality to the ritual of it all. It became "me" time, where I could lose the day's distractions, focus on the task at hand and, in a small way, re-center myself mentally.

Similarly with cigars. I was never a smoker until I started going to Cuba for holidays. What do you do in Cuba? Drink Rum and smoke cigars. So I gradually got hooked. It, too, became another chance to have some reflective time. Not often, two or three times a week, but more time to sort myself out from the day to day. Only my brother-in-law shares the habit, so it's a chance to share time together over a drink or three for us.

Piping will be just for me, though. I do not expect to travel with a pipe (but who knows?). The pipe will be for me to enjoy personally, and for my wife to enjoy aromatically. But it will be another one of my refuges from the mundane.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I’ll just add this as you begin your piping journey from cigars. Perhaps it deserves its own thread. And I’ve never seen it discussed much around here, or touched on it before.

And that involves the ‘smoking sociability‘ between the two.

And moving from cigars to piping, it’s something to possibly contemplate, as you go back and forth between the two.

Good post!

I will tell you purely on the criteria of tobacco flavor, blending quality, ambient room notes, and pure relaxation, I find piping generally superior to cigars. And I keep a fairly well-stocked humidor and enjoy some pretty nice cigars at this point. Especially this time of year. Not that cigars don’t taste great, and have a natural, tactile feel that is hard to beat. But a really good bowl can jump a notch or two on any cigar, even my very best ones.

So if piping can be better, why do some of us still keep — and greatly enjoy — cigars? It’s a big investment ... humidors, equipment, tools, etc. Why not just buy more top grade pipe leaf and make the most of that?

I find it somewhat like comparing apples to oranges. I acquired a lifetime supply of top grade pipe tobacco before I ever stared liking cigars. For me, the two have different experiences and sensations associated with them. With pipes, I never have an urge to smoke. I can have a bowl a day for weeks on end, but still won't crave a smoke. On the other hand, if I smoke a couple cigars in a week, I start to think about having a smoke while I'm at work. Also, pipes don't seem to affect me much in terms of nicotine content. If I smoke a stout blend, I'm usually fine afterwards. When it comes to cigars, even a fairly mild stick will give me a bit of a buzz afterwards.

I’ll tell you why. Because from a social perspective, piping is primarily a spectator sport to others. While cigars can be a decidedly more participatory one.

And that sometimes means a lot to others. And sometimes quite a bit to you the smoker. Not from a taste, room note, or relaxation perspective. But from a social one.

I've had quite a few times when pulling out a pipe lead to a fun conversation about pipes and pipe tobacco.

Put it another way. If a good buddy swings by for a beer or cocktail with me this time of year, I’m not going to hand him one of my Stanwells and offer him a smoke. Would you stick someone else’s used pipe in your mouth on the fly?

But I am going to lead him over to the humidor, where he can pick the stick of his choice. And it will be exclusively his and only his, from beginning to end.

I try to have 3-5 fresd cobs on hand for for such an occasion.

So we smoke (and drink) together, sharing our stinky cigar stench and good conversation. A good time. And anyone can conceivably smoke a cigar. No learning curve really required. Instant socializing, as we smoke away. Some more guys swing by? More cigars from the humidor. We’ve got hundreds at the ready.

I actually think that part of why I never liked cigars was because I didn't understand how to smoke them correctly. The flavor and enjoyment can be completely diminished from puffing too hard or fast.

In large groups, cigars can definitely be more appealing, and will lend themselves to greater opportunities to share.

The alternative, with a pipe, is that you will light up, alone, in most instances. Most men, and even most pipers, just don’t carry a pipe around everywhere at the ready. And piping, unlike cigar smoking, has a definite learning curve. It is unfortunately a less popular occupation nowadays. Even handing a virgin cob to a visitor is asking a lot of them if they have never smoked one before.

This is one of the fun aspects of pipe smoking. People seem curious about pipes. I've had a number of times where I've been smoking a pipe and it induces curiosity. I rarely get that when I'm smoking a cigar.

It’s the same reason every town has its cigar clubs and bars. But piping venues, not so much.

That could be due to government regulations. I have a cigar lounge not far from me. They allow cigars, but pipes need a special permit to be smoked inside.

Unless, of course, you can find a piping buddy that remembers to bring one of his over when stopping by for cocktails. Then you may have just stumbled on tobacco nirvana from a social perspective ...

A pipe buddy seems to be a unicorn around these parts.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Interesting perspectives.

I agree the pipe is less social. If I'm out in the garden having a smoke, and one of the neighbours sparks up conversation, that pipe bowl is pretty much ruined. I could keep smoking while talking, but it's just a smoke, and might as well be a cigarette at that point.

My mind is in a completely different gear when smoking a pipe to when having a conversation. I haven't yet found an intermediate gear where I can do and enjoy both at the same time.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Good post!

I find it somewhat like comparing apples to oranges. I acquired a lifetime supply of top grade pipe tobacco before I ever stared liking cigars. For me, the two have different experiences and sensations associated with them. With pipes, I never have an urge to smoke. I can have a bowl a day for weeks on end, but still won't crave a smoke. On the other hand, if I smoke a couple cigars in a week, I start to think about having a smoke while I'm at work. Also, pipes don't seem to affect me much in terms of nicotine content. If I smoke a stout blend, I'm usually fine afterwards. When it comes to cigars, even a fairly mild stick will give me a bit of a buzz afterwards.

I've had quite a few times when pulling out a pipe lead to a fun conversation about pipes and pipe tobacco.

I try to have 3-5 fresd cobs on hand for for such an occasion.

I actually think that part of why I never liked cigars was because I didn't understand how to smoke them correctly. The flavor and enjoyment can be completely diminished from puffing too hard or fast.

In large groups, cigars can definitely be more appealing, and will lend themselves to greater opportunities to share.

This is one of the fun aspects of pipe smoking. People seem curious about pipes. I've had a number of times where I've been smoking a pipe and it induces curiosity. I rarely get that when I'm smoking a cigar.

That could be due to government regulations. I have a cigar lounge not far from me. They allow cigars, but pipes need a special permit to be smoked inside.

A pipe buddy seems to be a unicorn around these parts.
Piping buddy. Haven’t had one of those in many years. Odd isn’t it?

Top Bottom