What's new

Recommended Shavemac handle for bowl lathering - forearm issues

Hi everyone,
A bit of a weird question I guess - I'm looking to buy a new Shavemac 3 band brush.
I'm mostly a bowl latherer (about 70% of the time).

Since I have a medical issue with my forearms, it's a bit hard for me to continuously swirl the brush in the bowl in a high pace for a long period of time.
Thus, would love to hear your opinion/experience with which Shavemac handles you found to be most ergonomic for bowl lathering.

Hi everyone,
A bit of a weird question I guess - I'm looking to buy a new Shavemac 3 band brush.

Since I have a medical issue with my forearms, it's a bit hard for me to continuously swirl the brush in the bowl in a high pace for a long period of time.
Thus, would love to hear your opinion/experience with which Shavemac handles you found to be most ergonomic for bowl lathering.
If you're looking for a Shavemac knot in a custom handle, I'd suggest contacting Rudy Vey. He can make a handle to suit your preferences and set the knot for you.
He has been working with Shavemac for years.

Is it the weight of the brush or the grip/strength?

Shape No. 87 should have the length for bowl lathering as well as an universal, slightly faceted, form to allow for individual finger placement.

3BF5BDAF-C2C3-4A5D-9D38-69A18A97DF1A.jpeg

I use my 386 for bowl and face lathering but it might be too short for you.

275F6DD5-BE2C-4F63-8727-AC4F2EA55315.jpeg

If you click on below link and scroll down to synthetics, you find a longer “Rubberset” handle that is not shown in the Shavemac configurator, but that might work for you: Handmade shaving brushes with silvertip badger hair or synthetic fibers - https://shavemac.com/en/4-shaving-brushes#Syntetics

I asked Bernd from Shavemac to make me a brush with this handle (different hair and different knot size) and he did.

Otherwise, I find both the #82 and #173 handles very ergonomic, for slightly different reasons: you can hold a 82 so that it does not slip out of you fingers and you can hold a 173 so it doesn’t twist in you fingers. The 173 is however one of the shorter Shavemac handles and might not be ideal to whip up lather in a tall shaving mug.

Hope this helps…

B.

Last edited:
I suggest you contact Rudy Vey! He is a real brush artist who uses Shavemac materials in his own handles. I also believe that Rudy may have some of the same orthopedic issues.

Just my own experiences with bowl lathering. I use tube or tub cream soaps. About 1" from a tube and use the brush to build a lather. Takes me about a minute. 1st pass and then a bit more lather building for the 2nd pass.
As far as the soft soap in a tub, I swirl the brush for a few seconds in the tub and then build the lather in the bowl. Again doesn't take long. Are you using hard soaps? That could take longer.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Hi everyone,

I think their 82 style or a similar style like the AS3M might be something that would aid your lathering in the bowl. Avoid short, stout, stubby brush handle styles, they are tough to hold. Also, some classic shapes like the PJ or the Keyhole are a good choice. I used to have severe carpal tunnel syndrome, and prior to surgeries, the few examples I just gave were the best to hold, and the worst were the short Chubby style handle -these i dropped often and in one case I even broke our sink, yes, this is true.

I think their 82 style or a similar style like the AS3M might be something that would aid your lathering in the bowl. Avoid short, stout, stubby brush handle styles, they are tough to hold. Also, some classic shapes like the PJ or the Keyhole are a good choice. I used to have severe carpal tunnel syndrome, and prior to surgeries, the few examples I just gave were the best to hold, and the worst were the short Chubby style handle -these i dropped often and in one case I even broke our sink, yes, this is true.
I made the handle below while playing with 'Polymorph' thermoplastic. It's remarkably easy to grip, in several ways. Especially easy is making a claw with your hand around it.

It is 1" tall, 2" across the base, 1" across the top (to match the knot, obviously.) I have used it to bowl lather, though it would benefit from an extension section for doing that.

Are there existing handle designs with a base like this? I cannot overstate how easy it is to hold thanks to the *oversized* triangle shape with sharp taper. My fingers and thumb just fall into the cavity! I don't even need to grip it. It just stays in my hand unless I actively open it. I think this could be the basis of a great handle.

IMG_20230727_202320.jpg
IMG_20230727_202223.jpg

Last edited:
I made the handle below while playing with 'Polymorph' thermoplastic. It's remarkably easy to grip, in several ways. Especially easy is making a claw with your hand around it.

It is 1" tall, 2" across the base, 1" across the top (to match the knot, obviously.) I have used it to bowl lather, though it would benefit from an extension section for doing that.

Are there existing handle designs with a base like this? I cannot overstate how easy it is to hold thanks to the *oversized* triangle shape with sharp taper. My fingers and thumb just fall into the cavity! I don't even need to grip it. It just stays in my hand unless I actively open it. I think this could be the basis of a great handle.

View attachment 1692862View attachment 1692861
I guess what I'm suggesting is a keyhole shape but with a much sharper angle, and a whole inch height of the narrowing section.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I don't have an answer for the brush question, but you might want to consider one of the easier/faster lathering soaps. MdC is wonderful in this regard.

Top Bottom