What's new

Recommended products for newbie & pals

I am looking into purchasing a quality DE safety razor, shave cream, brush, etc. I have always had sensitive skin, and have been especially prone to ingrown hairs. Currently, I am using a Mach 3 with Aveeno shave gel, and it isn't a terrible combination. But I would like to take a step forward and use better products/methods to try and achieve the results I am looking for. The MSNBC article sparked my interest.

I have done some homework the past few days on the best beginner's razor, cream, and brush to use. I have come to the conclusion that the Merkur HD Safety Razor combined with a Vulfix badger brush and Nancy Boy shave cream would be a good starting combination. Can anyone tell me if this is correct, and if not, are there better starting combinations?

On a sort of unrelated subject, I am getting married in October and I am still hunting for good groomsmen gifts. I want to purchase a decent Mach 3 handle for my guys, since I know they all use them. But my budget doesn't allow for this purchase along with a good cream and brush for each guy. Do you guys have any suggestions on what a good shaving groomsmen gift would be? I don't want to throw them into the fire just yet with the purchase of DE safety razors, but I would like to get them some good products.

RFordUT said:
I am looking into purchasing a quality DE safety razor, shave cream, brush, etc. I have always had sensitive skin, and have been especially prone to ingrown hairs. Currently, I am using a Mach 3 with Aveeno shave gel, and it isn't a terrible combination. But I would like to take a step forward and use better products/methods to try and achieve the results I am looking for. The MSNBC article sparked my interest.

I have done some homework the past few days on the best beginner's razor, cream, and brush to use. I have come to the conclusion that the Merkur HD Safety Razor combined with a Vulfix badger brush and Nancy Boy shave cream would be a good starting combination. Can anyone tell me if this is correct, and if not, are there better starting combinations?

On a sort of unrelated subject, I am getting married in October and I am still hunting for good groomsmen gifts. I want to purchase a decent Mach 3 handle for my guys, since I know they all use them. But my budget doesn't allow for this purchase along with a good cream and brush for each guy. Do you guys have any suggestions on what a good shaving groomsmen gift would be? I don't want to throw them into the fire just yet with the purchase of DE safety razors, but I would like to get them some good products.
Welcome to B&B.

What price range do you prefer?

RFordUT said:

Welcome to B&B. Sounds like you've got the right idea with the Merkur HD, If I had to do it all over again thats what I would choose.

Congratulations are in order as well on your getting married. As for gifts, my recommendation would be to get them a decent brush and a quality soap/cream. This small change in their shaving regimen should make a HUGE difference, and they will certainly remember you with pleasant thoughts every day. I would.

The Saville Row brushes are the same or cheaper than the Vulfix and IMHO are a better all-around brush.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
You simply can't go wrong with a Saville Row or a Vulfix, but I'll have to second leisureguy's recommendation for a beginner's brush- that little C&E is great for $35. If and when you get something better, you can still use it for soaps or travel. You'd really have to spend nearly double to get anything better.

Thanks for the quick replies. I never knew there was so much information out there on shaving. Kinda interesting when you start researching it.

I don't want to break the bank here, but I also am willing to spend on a good product. I thought the Vulfix brushes on classicshaving.com were a bit expensive. But $35 sounds reasonable. I've heard the Jagger brushes are nice as well.

I may get the groomsmen some nice cream, a decent brush, and a travel case. That would be at least different than most gifts like the token flask, beer stein, money clip, etc.

I am kinda nervous about the DE razor though. I am willing to practice, so I won't quit early. But the Mach 3 is so easy, although I can still feel stubble 5 mins after using it. I am just interested in a good clean shave with some nice smelling cream. Hopefully this will do the trick, and be enjoyable at the same time. Thanks again.

RFordUT said:
I don't want to break the bank here, but I also am willing to spend on a good product. I thought the Vulfix brushes on classicshaving.com were a bit expensive. But $35 sounds reasonable. I've heard the Jagger brushes are nice as well.

The Crabtree & Evelyn brushes are made by Edwin Jagger, they are just branded C&E.

If you get the HD I don't think you'll need to worry about too steep a learning curve coming from the M3--slap a nice Derby or Merkur blade in that bad boy and you won't be feeling very much stubble 5 minutes after your shave.:tongue:

Go here http://www.classicshaving.com/Home.html and get your Merkur HD, 1 pack of Merkur blades, 1 tub of a Taylor's cream. Then go to Crabtree & Evelyn at your local mall and pick up a best badger brush for $35 and after shave balm. Go home. Shave. Then get on ebay or other etailers and get every thing you read about and suggested on this forum.

RFordUT said:

Just go for a nice shave cream or soap, and a nice mug/bowl found anywhere, alot cheaper if your on a budget. Maybe even a shaving brush. Anyways, don't help them support there bad habits of shaving with the Mach3.

Top Bottom