What's new

Recommended Hair tonic

I have what I would consider oily hair. Before using tonics, I would have to shampoo everyday to keep my hair looking and feeling clean. I used a bottle of clubman hair tonic and did not notice any ill effects, but wanted more hold. I tried Vitalis and loved it. Could maybe use a bit more hold but all in all, I was liking it. Washed out easy. Looked and felt nice. I have used pomades but do not like the stiff feel for everyday use. I like the hold of murrays pomade but my wife does not like the feel of my hair and it takes gasoliine (figuratively speaking) to get that stuff out of your hair. Anyway, after about 1/4 of the bottle of vitalis, I noticed my hair feeling dry and when I did not put vitalis in my hair it was trying to get these flyaway fuzzy hairs everywhere. Definitely not normal for my "oily" hair. I started shampooing less (clubman shampoo) and it has not seemed to help. I have discontinued use of the vitalis to see if my soft smooth feel comes back to my hair as opposed to this dry rough feel it has now. But I miss the tonic. I am assuming it is the alcohol? I have seen others here using tonics. Any recommendations or experience with it causing dry hair?

I was leaning towards Reuzel Grooming as it seems to be alcohol free. But I like "old" products, so I wasa also looking at Lukcy Tiger. It seemed to have less alcohols listed and read like maybe it had more "oil" to it. I was hoping to get some input before taking a shot in the dark. Thanks

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
The only ones I've ever used are Vitalis and Jeris, and they're similar in performance.
There's a subforum here on hair, skin, etc. You might get more and better responses if you posted this there.

The only ones I've ever used are Vitalis and Jeris, and they're similar in performance.
There's a subforum here on hair, skin, etc. You might get more and better responses if you posted this there.
Thanks. I must have missed that when searching for a place to post.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
But I like "old" products, so I wasa also looking at Lukcy Tiger. It seemed to have less alcohols listed and read like maybe it had more "oil" to it. I was hoping to get some input before taking a shot in the dark. Thanks

I have the Lucky Tiger ... while it has good performance, the scent is far too flowery/powdery for my liking. More like something my grandmother would use, rather than my grandfather.

I say take a look at the various Eau Du Protugal options out there. The scent is kind of a citrus/cedar sort of thing (each brand has its own particular scent, but that't the general drift of it.) Pinaud Clubman makes a good one, and I like the one by Pashana even more. (In the CONUS market, it may be sold under the name "Jack Dean".) At least Pashana, and maybe Clubman, makes a "regular" and "with oil" version ... perhaps the "regular" is better for you?

I use tonic every day. I use Jeris pretty regularly. They make two versions of it - with and without "oil." I use the one with oil which is actually mineral oil. It has a very barbershop scent to it and will wash out without any trouble. I've found that too much washing can cause the "dried" look, though, so you might consider experimenting with that.

I also use Vitalis but it doesn't do much until the second or third day when it shows more hold. I also use Vaseline Hair Tonic which is a very old-school product. It is not to be confused with Vaseline the petroleum jelly, however. We had the jelly version put on us as fraternity pledges and it was a ***** to get out!

I have Lucky Tiger which has a distinctive scent that I'm not too fond of. I have also used Wildroot which is another old-line product. A little bit of it goes a long way - it would definitely not cause any dry hair. I guess the summary of all this is that you have to experiment yourself. None of these products are expensive and it wouldn't hurt to try half a dozen or so to see what you like and works well. I'm always happy to try something else but I keep my hair very neatly combed. My kids would be amazed if they saw anything different! Send me a message if you need any additional advice.

I use tonic every day. I use Jeris pretty regularly. They make two versions of it - with and without "oil." I use the one with oil which is actually mineral oil. It has a very barbershop scent to it and will wash out without any trouble. I've found that too much washing can cause the "dried" look, though, so you might consider experimenting with that.

I also use Vitalis but it doesn't do much until the second or third day when it shows more hold. I also use Vaseline Hair Tonic which is a very old-school product. It is not to be confused with Vaseline the petroleum jelly, however. We had the jelly version put on us as fraternity pledges and it was a ***** to get out!

I have Lucky Tiger which has a distinctive scent that I'm not too fond of. I have also used Wildroot which is another old-line product. A little bit of it goes a long way - it would definitely not cause any dry hair. I guess the summary of all this is that you have to experiment yourself. None of these products are expensive and it wouldn't hurt to try half a dozen or so to see what you like and works well. I'm always happy to try something else but I keep my hair very neatly combed. My kids would be amazed if they saw anything different! Send me a message if you need any additional advice.
I appreciate your time. I have been reading about using beard balm in your hair. I think it would give nourishment and perhaps enough hold but I sort of like an actual tonic I think. I was anticipating the "have to try for yourself" response as it seems with skin and hair and what not, products affect us all differently. I am ashamed to admit it but I think the Lucky Tiger slogan draws me in some "Lucky Tiger got you r grandpa lucky, got your dad lucky, and it will get you lucky too". I guess it depends on if my wife likes the scent lol. Thanks again. I will do some experimenting

What Doc4 said, except those Eau du Portugals are going to have alcohol in them, as I recall. At least the Pinaud does.

Murray's is really something, isn't it!

There are lots of pomades out there of all types, made of all sort of ingredients, many that wash out easily. Sauvecito comes to mind. I would use sparingly though. Many pomades are inexpensive enough to try a bunch of them.

I will switch to the Skin, Body, and Hair Care subforum from here out. An under-used place IMO.

What Doc4 said, except those Eau du Portugals are going to have alcohol in them, as I recall. At least the Pinaud does.

Murray's is really something, isn't it!

There are lots of pomades out there of all types, made of all sort of ingredients, many that wash out easily. Sauvecito comes to mind. I would use sparingly though. Many pomades are inexpensive enough to try a bunch of them.

I will switch to the Skin, Body, and Hair Care subforum from here out. An under-used place IMO.
Ya, I got it in the wrong place, and then made another thread just the same in that forum......so ya, I made a mess of the boards. Sorry everyone LOL

First morning of balm in the hair. Not sure how it will work as far as nourishing my dried out hair (it is already coming back a little just from discontinuing the vitalis and skippinig a day shampooing) but is not nearly as satisfying to use as the tonics are. Little to no hold. Need to pull the trigger on another tonic and give it a go. I am just really thinking I need to stay away from the alcohol. The Reuzel grooming tonic "looks" like the most natural ingredients, although I do not recognize the first few. Vaseline says it is supposed to restore lost oils, but I was thiking mineral oil was not the best ingredient for hair.

Side note....this is why my wife orders my food. I get frustrated and do not eat because I CANNOT make a single dang decision without weeks of fretting LOL

Ya, I got it in the wrong place, and then made another thread just the same in that forum......so ya, I made a mess of the boards. Sorry everyone LOL
No worries. It is poor form on my part, but sadly I probably would not have seen your post in Skin, Body, and Hair Care for months. A little publicity for that subforum is a good thing. I responded in this thread because it would have been more work on my part to explain what Doc4 said that I liked!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Hopefully I fixed it all up for you @trentr. I joined your threads together in this forum and hopefully we can get some help coming your way.

I have three that get used: Lucky Tiger, Reuzel and some old TOBS. Any of these would be worth a try!

I have three that get used: Lucky Tiger, Reuzel and some old TOBS. Any of these would be worth a try!
Reuzel Hair tonic or Grooming? I think the difference is oil, but they both appear to be hair tonics.

I miss stores where I can pic up different things and compare and smell and what not. Then I go to Wal-mart the other night to see what they may have.... and they have moved the whole store around but NOT the signs telling you where things are, so you go down the bread aisle and find laundry soap. WHERE IS THE BREAD!? Then I say "I am doing all my shopping on line from now on". Sigh, I am never happy. Always complaining. Note to self.....stop complaining.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I was using Lucky Tiger...and still have some, but for hold purposes I switched to Pinaud Clubman Styling gel. I've used Pinaud Clubman Eau de Portugal before and found that it seemed to make my hair oily. That's the last thing I need after getting out of the shower is to make my hair looks like it needs a shampoo. Loved the scent of it, but the performance just wouldn't do for me...YMMV. Lucky Tiger is decent...hold is ok...and it doesn't weigh my hair down too much. I'm in the hunt for a good one myself. Good luck with your search.

Reuzel Hair tonic or Grooming? I think the difference is oil, but they both appear to be hair tonics.

I miss stores where I can pic up different things and compare and smell and what not. Then I go to Wal-mart the other night to see what they may have.... and they have moved the whole store around but NOT the signs telling you where things are, so you go down the bread aisle and find laundry soap. WHERE IS THE BREAD!? Then I say "I am doing all my shopping on line from now on". Sigh, I am never happy. Always complaining. Note to self.....stop complaining.

I prefer Reuzel brown to their blue tonic!

I have the brown/yellowish version. No oil, but from what i've been able to gather it's got slightly more hold but not much. I do like it though. It keeps my hair from looking too fluffy after it dries, but keeps it in a generally "slicked back" position for most of the day. Not Gordon Gecko slick, but just "I don't part my hair to the side, just push it back" kind of slicked.

You might try a water based wax. It's no problem to wash out. It isn't shiny. The hold isn't as good as the oily stuff but I just can't handle that stuff.

I never used anything until I got older, I have less hair, I cut it shorter and now it doesn't "behave" as well as it did when longer. That's when I learned about matte, water based wax. It's not shiny, sticky, it's not noticeable for the most part.

If nothing else it keeps your hair in place as it's drying and if you use a little more of it it does a decent job of holding the hair.

Thought perhaps I should update. I got a tube of Brylcreem and have been very much enjoying it. Makes my hair feel "healthy" and has just enough hold for general use. I can still wear a hat. If I am going to be out in the wind, I use something with a bit more hold.

Thought perhaps I should update. I got a tube of Brylcreem and have been very much enjoying it. Makes my hair feel "healthy" and has just enough hold for general use. I can still wear a hat. If I am going to be out in the wind, I use something with a bit more hold.
I used Brylcreem when I was a kid. Loved it then, love it now. And yes, a little dab'l do ya.

Top Bottom