What's new

Recommended Fragrances under $40

A023AADD-AAAF-455F-B6A9-F3EBAF03151E.jpeg

Just acquired:

Mustang EdC, 1.7 oz, $11 (I'm not certain whether this comes in both EdC and EdT versions, or if the terms have been used interchangeably. Some bottles are labelled as "Cologne Spray" with "Eau de Cologne" on the box--as mine is-- and some are labelled as "Eau de Toilette." Often they are sold as "Mustang Cologne Spray EdT" and you'll see a picture of one or the other. I have the cologne spray/EdC that comes in the tin gift box. Note: sometimes the tin gift box edition is 1.0 oz., mine is the one with 1.7. oz. You won't save money by going with the 1.0 version, so pay attention if you buy this. I've worn this for three days, and have liked it better with each wearing. SWMBO liked it right off, and described it as "masculine." Starts off with ginger and lemon, closely followed behind with sweet tobacco and cedar. Very nice, a successful blind-buy!)

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
A few citrus/green "freshies" that I don't think I've seen in the list so far
Geoffrey Beene's Bowling Green
James Bronnley's Original (may be over $40 now-mine is old)
1881 Nina Cerutti*
Boucheron for Men*
*These two are on my long-term wish list- I don't own them...yet...

...and with the Christmas season almost upon us, has anyone mentioned Burberry London?

Sorry if these have all been previously mentioned and I absent mindedly skimmed past them, but they're all good enough to deserve more than one mention anyway, I suppose. Terrific thread- keep 'em coming!

A few citrus/green "freshies" that I don't think I've seen in the list so far
Geoffrey Beene's Bowling Green
James Bronnley's Original (may be over $40 now-mine is old)
1881 Nina Cerutti*
Boucheron for Men*
*These two are on my long-term wish list- I don't own them...yet...

...and with the Christmas season almost upon us, has anyone mentioned Burberry London?

Sorry if these have all been previously mentioned and I absent mindedly skimmed past them, but they're all good enough to deserve more than one mention anyway, I suppose. Terrific thread- keep 'em coming!

Cool list! I forget what the Cerutti is like, but I really like the other three.

Bowling Green, to me, is really underrated and discussed. Lots of pine, if I recall. Reminds me of Pen's BB a bit, and Pen's BB is one of my all time favorites.

James Bronnley's Original is a great, almost never discussed, barber shop scent, to me anyway. When folks have asked for recommendations for barber shop scents, I have forgotten to mention this one. I think if one likes Pinaud's Clubman, they will like this one. It smells higher quality to me.

Boucheron for Men--To me smells absolutely classic. Very French. Good legs. I forget whether I have a strong preference for the edt over the edp versions. I think I do! They are a bit different. (I sure have a strong preference for the edt over the edc of this houses Jaipur.) The only reservation I would have about Boucheron is it might smell too generic, too commonplace. Still a classic though. Also, underrated, I think. Reminds me of Dolce and Gabbana's basic for men scent for some reason. I cannot remember how close they smell to each other, but both to me capture some kind of classic set of notes that may just seem too commonplace to appeal to me right now, that others may be very happy with. Easily accessible, anyway!

Owen Bawn

I hope this is the proper one, or did I get a flanker?

View attachment 1378633
That's the proper one- the '1934' EdT. I really like it. Getting more difficult to find over the course of the past few weeks. Most of the grey market discount sites are out of it. And I think Dunhill have discontinued production.

i don't think it smells like Sartorial, but it is in a similar class to Sartorial. A wool flannel suit and polished shoes fragrance.

Owen Bawn

Did I mention Yardley Gentleman Elite earlier? Well I should have. Incredible value for this clean, simple, classic scent. Grapefruit and basil on top of pine, vetiver, and wood (sandalwood? cedar?). A 'less is more' fragrance. Two sprays smell so much better than 4 with this one. And quite inexpensive.

There is an entire line of Yardley Gentleman frags, but this is the only one with which I'm familiar. I'm not really one for youtube reviews, but one man whose opinion I respect is Lanier Smith. He fell in love with this one (he tested 2 others in the line but this was THE one) and his review convinced me to make a blind purchase.

Yardley gentleman elite.jpg

Owen Bawn

I wonder is Woods of Windsor for Men still available? That was another inexpensive "boardroom" type scent. Quite similar to the original Dunhill, but with a more prominent citrus opening and a more obvious leather note. Imagine if Dunhill for Men had a baby with 1960s English Leather.

A recent find - Lalique L'Insoumis. Fresh, modern barbershop with a spicy twist. Longevity is very good (8-10hrs on me) and sits relatively close to the skin.
For some reason it reminds me a bit of PAA Gondolier, but this one is more complex and just better.
Picked it up for under 30$.

As @FaubushFarmer mentioned near the beginning of this thread, Encre Noir by Lalique is fantastic. I recently bought a 100ml bottle for under $30US and I am blown away by the quality of this EDP. If I paid $100 for it, I wouldn’t be upset.

Well worth a look if spicy, woody vetiver is your thing.

I should be receiving Lalique’s Encre Noire L'Extreme and Encre Noire Sport soon as well. 👍

Last edited:
Another Lalique—Lalique pour Homme (Lion version)—is a really classy fougere-type scent that can be had for under $40. It’s becoming one of my favorites. The wife really likes it too.
I've seen you post that on SOTD, and it got me thinking. B&B is not good for me. :001_tt2:

We are talking super cheap with this one and I do not know if this will continue to be one I like, but I bought for about $8 a bottle of Pinaud Clubman Reserve Gent's Gin that I am liking quite a bit. It is not as gin-like as some, but it has pretty good legs. Is not going to smell super expensive. My wife does not like it at all. But, for the time being anyway, I do! I guess they call it an aftershave, but the concentration of scent seems good. I do not think I would apply it directly to me face.

Top Bottom