What's new

Recommended Fragrances under $40

Picked up this old school fougere on Amazon for ~$18.00:
0B9D1722-A840-44EF-8809-31DADD809535.jpeg

It’s similar to Paco Rabanne, but sharper and not as soapy.

Versace L'homme. I think this was the debut scent for Versace, from the mid-80's? A distinguished gentleman's fragrance, citrus, floral, spice, and woods. Opens a bit tangy, but after fifteen minutes or so, a comforting spice and wood evolves. Has one of the nicest drydowns there is. Don't recall all the suggestions in this thread, there have been so many good ones, but if you enjoy leathery, mossy scents, then allow me to mention Fred Hayman 273 Rodeo Drive, Oscar de La Renta Pour Lui, and Bijan for Men. Back to a classy comfort scent, consider Quorum Silver, a smooth cedar spice, a complete 180 swing from the original Quorum. I would be remiss to not mention the Classic Match version of the iconic original Polo Green, it is stellar. And for less than ten bucks at Walmart! It comes in a forest green box. It is one of the best "bang for your buck" items in mens fragrances.

Two more that, inexplicably, I left off the list:

Drakkar Noir, 3.4 oz., $25. I haven't replaced it, but I wasn't into fragrances at the time, and I plan to revisit it.
Horizon by Guy Laroche (not Horizon by Davidoff, which I am unfamiliar with), 1.7 oz., $10. I believe this is discontinued, but easily available on Ebay and elsewhere. I notice a resemblance to Drakkar Noir, but it has a marine vibe to it. Sounds odd, but it works well.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Excellent list! Sorry I missed it the first time around. No Cool Water, uh? I realize that one maybe got played out in the 80’s by high schoolers bathing in the stuff, but I still kind of like it. And I sure as heck can’t afford Green Irish Tweed!

My other nomination is Caswell Massey Number Six, reputedly George Washington‘s favorite cologne. It’s a wonderful summer scent, light and refreshing. It’s also one of the few fragrances that doesn’t give my wife a sneezing fit, so maybe I’m biased that way. But really, it’s a good one. If #6 isn’t quite forty bones, it’s pretty close. Under fifty for sure.

Excellent list! Sorry I missed it the first time around. No Cool Water, uh? I realize that one maybe got played out in the 80’s by high schoolers bathing in the stuff, but I still kind of like it. And I sure as heck can’t afford Green Irish Tweed!

My other nomination is Caswell Massey Number Six, reputedly George Washington‘s favorite cologne. It’s a wonderful summer scent, light and refreshing. It’s also one of the few fragrances that doesn’t give my wife a sneezing fit, so maybe I’m biased that way. But really, it’s a good one. If #6 isn’t quite forty bones, it’s pretty close. Under fifty for sure.
Yep. I mentioned Cool Water earlier. Great fragrance. I’m wearing it now.

Lalique White - a really pleasant, low-key gentleman's scent. Suitable for wearing in the study on a quiet, rainy day. Not really designed to attract attention, but to provide a personal scent bubble.

Armaf Tres Nuit - most people say this a clone of Green Irish Tweed, but it is a bit different on the dry down. Enjoyable once the initial shrill, synthetic blast has burned away.

Lalique Encre Noire Sport - not really a "sport" scent per se, but instead a fresher, more wearable version of the original Encre Noire. Suitable for warmer weather.

Quorum Silver - most people say this is just a cedar scent, but that's not the case. There are ginger, cardamom, nutmeg, pepper and resin notes in this, also. Let the initial harsh synthetic blast burn off, and the dry down becomes quite pleasant. Most suitable for shoulder seasons. A real bargain is the combo aftershave + EdT set.

Lalique pour Homme (Equus) - cedar + Bois de Portugal vibe. A pleasant, long-lasting, semi-formal or office scent at very low cost.

It didn't make my list because I haven't tried it yet. 😏 But I'm looking forward to it.

Another fragrance that I should have listed although technically an after shave lotion:

Pinaud Clubman After Shave Lotion, 12.5 oz., $10.95 This quintessential "barbershop" scent is easily of EdT strength. I think it simply has to be tried by anyone interested in men's fragrances. It makes an interesting benchmark for other fougeres. I find it to smell very similar to Canoe EdT.

Correction:

Pierre Cardin Pour Homme Monsieur, 8 oz., $26 (Huge bottle, what a bargain! I love this and it has a permanent spot in my rotation.)

I'm a little embarrassed to admit I've been confusing the two names. I meant Pour Monsieur (the left photo) and I was unaware of that there is a Pour Homme (the right photo) which I have never tried.

View attachment 1335144View attachment 1335143
ive tried both these Pierre scents and have to say i really like these, i have been using the Pierre Cardin (left one in your pic) for quite a number of years now, i discovered it years ago when i picked up a rep in my taxi with a suitcase of scents(one of these guys who visits different drugstores hawking his wares😁) anyway at the end of his journey in my cab he gave me a bottle of the Pierre Cardin along with his fare, i actually loved it, and have been using/buying it ever since, it was quite cheap around 25 years ago, think its more expensive these days🤔😍

Top Bottom