What's new

Recommended blades for sensitive skin!

I just received my order from Fendrihan. Got the Col.Conk Bay Rum Soap and a blade sampler pack with Derbys, Merkurs, Feathers and Astras. I was also suprised to see the nice little Edwin Jagger shaving cream sample included.

Now, I'm assuming that the Merkur that came with my DE must have dulled quickly after the 3 (or maybe 4 at the very most) times that I used it. Each shave consisting of 2 passes.

Reason being is that I just did a 2 pass shave with a new Feathers blade and i can most definitely feel it today. My entire lower face feels irritated. Is this particular brand known to be much more aggressive than a Merker?

Also, what sort of blade would you recommend for someone with extremely coarse hair and sensitve skin?

I just received my order from Fendrihan. Got the Col.Conk Bay Rum Soap and a blade sampler pack with Derbys, Merkurs, Feathers and Astras. I was also suprised to see the nice little Edwin Jagger shaving cream sample included.

Now, I'm assuming that the Merkur that came with my DE must have dulled quickly after the 3 (or maybe 4 at the very most) times that I used it. Each shave consisting of 2 passes.

Reason being is that I just did a 2 pass shave with a new Feathers blade and i can most definitely feel it today. My entire lower face feels irritated. Is this particular brand known to be much more aggressive than a Merker?

Also, what sort of blade would you recommend for someone with extremely coarse hair and sensitve skin?

:eek: You should be aware of your blade angle and pressure with the feather. Actually I found most B&B members have sensitive skin:laugh:. As for the feather being aggressive, not so much as it is SHARP about 50 time that of the Merker!!!!, (I've been known to exaggerate). No really I believe its one of the if not the sharpest blade in the world!! Try the Astra/Derby for a while or go very slow and use short strokes with little pressure with the feather.
I believe you'll get plenty of feedback to your post!!

Cheers

Last edited:
It's always a case of YMMV, but the Feathers are about as good, or sharp in this case, as you are going to get. They seem to be the favorite of guys with very thick stubble. Yes, they are much sharper than Merkur blades.

I think the irritation is mostly do to the blade angle or pressure. Hold the razor as close to end as possible and as lightly as possible, between two finger tips if possible. The irritation will soon disappear.

The time I used a Feather from a sampler pack, the sharpness really did not matter for me. It was a matter of blade longevity. Feathers seemed to dull faster. The best that worked for were the Crystals and Derbys. I now use only Derbys, but I have heard good things about the Astra blades.

You use a glycerin soap. I never tried Col.Conk but for what I understood these soaps are slicker and less cushiony.
A Feather blade on a first shave can be harsh but the next shaves are a lot smoother.
You have some possibilities to try:
- or you use a more cushiony soap to shave with a new Feather (look at the review section; the non-glycerin soaps do general provide more cushion but there are exceptions). After the first shave, you can go back to the Col.Conk soap.
- or you cork the new Feather blade upon first shave.
- or you use a smoother blade with the Col.Conk soaps. I do like Astra as a smooth blade with slicker lather.

I love Derby's and Feathers. Derby's are my daily blade that do the work and don't cost that much. I still have a few feathers from my sample pack and I bring them out on special occassions or when I'm in the mood! I may have to break down and just buy a big ol' brick of feathers like I have of the derby's :)

:eek: You should be aware of your blade angle and pressure with the feather. Actually I found most B&B members have sensitive skin:laugh:. As for the feather being aggressive, not so much as it is SHARP about 50 time that of the Merker!!!!, (I've been known to exaggerate). No really I believe its one of the if not the sharpest blade in the world!! Try the Astra/Derby for a while or go very slow and use short strokes with little pressure with the feather.
I believe you'll get plenty of feedback to your post!!

Cheers

Sorry, I did mean Sharp rather than aggressive. I've also noticed that the Derby's seem to be the main choice amongst B&B'rs so i may make a quick switch to those.

.........Yes, they are much sharper than Merkur blades.

I think the irritation is mostly do to the blade angle or pressure. Hold the razor as close to end as possible and as lightly as possible, between two finger tips if possible. The irritation will soon disappear.....

Thanks for the reminded advice on light pressure. I'm still going through the "Weaning" stage from the Gillette twin pivot head disposables. It's amazing how different the shave is. With the disposables I actually notice the "Yank/Hack" action but with the DE, the shave seems to be so dam smooth. Even over my razor bumps. My misses was watching me in action last night and was cringing..."that looks like it hurts"......."I don't feel a thing luv". Strange really. So yes, maybe I need to shave with much less pressure because I am currently still holding it like a disposable with the extended index finger up the stem of the razor. OUCH.

Like many have said, Technique, technique, technique.

You use a glycerin soap. I never tried Col.Conk but for what I understood these soaps are slicker and less cushiony.
A Feather blade on a first shave can be harsh but the next shaves are a lot smoother.
You have some possibilities to try:
- or you use a more cushiony soap to shave with a new Feather (look at the review section; the non-glycerin soaps do general provide more cushion but there are exceptions). After the first shave, you can go back to the Col.Conk soap.
- or you cork the new Feather blade upon first shave.
- or you use a smoother blade with the Col.Conk soaps. I do like Astra as a smooth blade with slicker lather.

Wow, this shaving thing is so complex and intricate. I never would have thought that it actually matters what blades you use and with what creams/soaps to accommodate them with.
I'm the type that would probably be expected to have got frustrated by now with the lack of results, but this stuff is so intriguing; and just like many others have stated, the process of lathering up is indeed an invigorating one, yet relaxing. A men's spa if you like. lol

Although i have the Col.Conk soap, I am still using my Proraso for sensitive skin soap. The white tub, not the green one. I've also been using the Body Shops Macca root cream.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
You may also consider a razor in which the blade can be set to be more or less aggressive, like a Slim adjustable or a Fatboy, Futur etc. I had a razor that was not adjustable, and when using a very sharp blade (like the 7 o'clocks) I often ended up with small cuts and irritation of my skin. I know that technique is also very important, but if you can set your razor to be less aggressive, cuts, nicks, razor burn or any other skin irritation can be reduce. I got myself then a adjustable Slim and started at "1" setting, now I am at "3" - "4" and have just added a Fatboy to the collection, so I can switch razors if I like to.

You may also consider a razor in which the blade can be set to be more or less aggressive, like a Slim adjustable or a Fatboy, Futur etc. I had a razor that was not adjustable, and when using a very sharp blade (like the 7 o'clocks) I often ended up with small cuts and irritation of my skin. I know that technique is also very important, but if you can set your razor to be less aggressive, cuts, nicks, razor burn or any other skin irritation can be reduce. I got myself then a adjustable Slim and started at "1" setting, now I am at "3" - "4" and have just added a Fatboy to the collection, so I can switch razors if I like to.

Hmmm. A slim or a Fatboy huh. Sounds very interesting. I always thought that these were just sub-headings for certain brands. Adjustable may just be the way to go for now.

Cheers.

Be careful with the Astras -- found them to easily cut up your face. Very difficult to find correct blade angle.

For sensitive skin imo sharper blades are better since they require less passes thus less chance of razor burn or skin irritation.

IMO a wonderful sharp but forgiving blade is the irridium super.

Any of the common blades should be fine, I would focus on technique instead. It is possible that your passes are not WTG when you are trying WTG. Give your beard another look. I don't want to sound patronizing, I had to do the same thing as well after quite a few months.

Common blades = IP, Derby, 7 O'Clocks, Feathers

I have sensitive skin, and found Derbys tugged, and Astras cut. I really like 7 0'clocks, but for days when I want smoothness and maybe have an already-irritated neck, I go for Crystals or red pack IPs.

7 O'Clock Super Platinum (blacks) from India are almost as sharp as feathers, but they are not for the uninitiated too.

I have very sensitive on my neck but can get a really comfortable irritation free shave with the right razor/blade combination.

If I use my HD or Parker 89r with a Feather or 7 O'Clock I get good results; BBS and irritation free.

When I use the 11c I've been using a Wilkinson Sword or Shaving shack blade with same result.

Conversely, if I use a Feather in the 11c it leaves my skin burning. If I use a Wilkinson Sword in the HD or Parker I can still get a BBS finish but it takes a little more work and a pass ATG.

I'm no expert as I've only been DE shaving for about a year (although wet shaving for almost 30) but, it seems to me that there are alot of variables and not just the choice of blade and/or razor. Your individual skin type, prep & preshave, soap/cream and shaving technique etc are all as important.

LB.

Any of the common blades should be fine, I would focus on technique instead. It is possible that your passes are not WTG when you are trying WTG. Give your beard another look. I don't want to sound patronizing, I had to do the same thing as well after quite a few months.

Common blades = IP, Derby, 7 O'Clocks, Feathers

I have been very particular with the awareness of the direction of my hair growth. I do find it hard to get a good ATG along and just under the jawline though.

Any pointers for that specific area?

I have been very particular with the awareness of the direction of my hair growth. I do find it hard to get a good ATG along and just under the jawline though.

Any pointers for that specific area?

You may find that under the jawline you have to go E-W, sideways, because that's probably the direction your beard is growing. It is for me.

Len

Pottertons, I am VERY new to DE shaving, though I tried it once before over 10 years ago (with bad results). However, in my limited recent experience I've found the Wilkinson Sword blades to be the best for sensitive skin so far. That would be the Wilkinsons available in the UK , where I think you are also located. I believe they were only £1 for a box of 5 at a local chemist

Mind you, I'm only comparing them to Derby and Gillette Platinum "Swedes", but judging from your original post I seem to have the same problems you do; inconvenient hair growth patterns on the neck, somewhat coarse hair, sensitive skin...

Derbys feel gentle on my cheek, but thick and not sharp enough on the neck and around corners, while Wilkinsons feel "lighter" and thinner somehow. Swedes feel more heavy duty and pretty good, but it seems that they will only be sold until the warehouses are empty of them... i.e. no more production, so unless you want to hunt for a bunch and stockpile them they are more or less out of the equation and pretty expensive, anyway.

I just picked up some inexpensive Personnas from Morrisons (under £2 for 10), but have yet to try them. I have a feeling they won't be as gentle and sharp as the Wilkinson Swords.

Again I'm a total newbie, but I hope this helped.

I have a similar situation: very coarse beard and sensitive skin, and I just switched over to Feathers yesterday. I bought a pack of 100 after a single shave. Obviously YMMV applies, but using a Feather ended my issues with tugging and skipping, which I'd had all over the place with Derbys and 7 O'Clock yellows. I have some Kais, Astras, and IPs and have not tried them, but I'm really unsure that I ever will. The Feather was impeccably smooth and sharp and has delivered two outstanding shaves in a row. I have some irritation, but that's more from my technique, and it's still very mild. Can't recommend these blades enough.

Hmmm. A slim or a Fatboy huh. Sounds very interesting. I always thought that these were just sub-headings for certain brands. Adjustable may just be the way to go for now.

You might want to check the link in my sig. Might help you out with adjustables ( specifically Fatboy and Slim ). :biggrin1:

Cheers.

I have a similar situation: very coarse beard and sensitive skin, and I just switched over to Feathers yesterday. I bought a pack of 100 after a single shave. Obviously YMMV applies, but using a Feather ended my issues with tugging and skipping, which I'd had all over the place with Derbys and 7 O'Clock yellows. I have some Kais, Astras, and IPs and have not tried them, but I'm really unsure that I ever will. The Feather was impeccably smooth and sharp and has delivered two outstanding shaves in a row. I have some irritation, but that's more from my technique, and it's still very mild. Can't recommend these blades enough.

I think you'll find the Kai blades to be similar to the Feathers. Very nice blade, smooth and sharp. If you really want to use just Feathers, feel free to send the Kais to me.:biggrin:

Hello Pottertons. I told you you would get all the help you needed here. It looks like you are on the right path to success. Well done.

Top Bottom